Using SD card on goggles vs drone
19231 19 2021-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amitgv1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032493 ft
Germany

Hi,I understand I can place the SD card on the googles or on the drone or even on both.

Is there any video or picture quality difference if recording on the goggles vs. on the drone?
I understand its better to record on goggles in case I lost the drone, but the video or picture quality should be the same? I remember I saw a review that stated that the quality should be better to record on the drone, but I didn't find any further information regarding this.

2021-3-23
Use props
MCWH7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

The drone recording will be higher quality
2021-3-23
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

As MCWH7 points out, the quality of video in the drone recorder with be better than in the goggles.
The goggles recording is mainly as backup incase you need to find your drone later. The video in the goggles occasionally degrades as it pass behind objects.  These periods of poor video quality will be captured in the goggle recording but not in the drone's recording.
You can also record at high resolution in the drone. If you want to watch the same thing you saw while flying use the goggle recording. If you want to watch the best video, use the drone recording.
I generally always use both.
2021-3-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there amitgv1. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. As posted above the footage on the DJI FPV drone will have a higher quality. In addition it is best to use a supported SD card on your DJI FPV for compatibility and reliability purposes. Thank you.

2021-3-23
Use props
djiuser_Sswd8lwLb1J3
New
United States

If you have an SD card in both the drone and Goggles, does the video sync? as in the video stored on the drones SD card will be the same as what you see from the goggles and stored on the goggle SD card correct? ofcourse as others have mentioned above, the quality of video from the drive SD card would be better. Thanks for the help, just got mine today
2021-12-27
Use props
PaulCalif
lvl.1
United States

So, I too wondered about this. I'm guessing based on the above posts that when you hit record on either the controller or on the goggles that the recordings will take place simultaneously on both the goggles and the controller. Also that the recording on the drone will be better because it doesn't have to get sent back to the controller before recording. So, if you were to lose video signal from the drone to the goggles you would also lose the video recording in the goggles (because there was no signal to record), but you would have that recording on the Micro SD card in the drone. The reason that you want to record from the goggles is so if you lose the drone, you can review the last video signal you received, and hopefully you still had video signal when the drone went down. The reason you want to record from the drone is because if you lose the video signal to the goggles you'll still be recording from the drone. Do I have that right?
What about the quality of the video, is that also better coming when recorded from the drone?
These drones are awesome, I live (most of the time) in the California desert where flight is for the most past unobstructed.
Thanks for any reply...
2021-12-31
Use props
Zab Devin 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1730853 ft
United States

Great question. If the drone recording is better than the goggles recording, how much better is it? What are the resolutions? I’m talking about the SD card, not live view which is 810p. You
2022-3-23
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
United States

Zab Devin 2 Posted at 3-23 10:56
Great question. If the drone recording is better than the goggles recording, how much better is it? What are the resolutions? I’m talking about the SD card, not live view which is 810p. You
There are multiple resolutions to choose from with the drone. The maximum is 4K I think. 4K video creates huge files. I generally record in 1080P. Even when recording in lower resolutions, the video recorded in the drone is MUCH better than the video recorded in the goggles. The bitrate is much high in the drone.
2022-3-23
Use props
Dakilla
lvl.3
France

do you know if the image stabilisation is done on both side or only drone side ?
2022-3-23
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
United States

Dakilla Posted at 3-23 23:53
do you know if the image stabilisation is done on both side or only drone side ?

When turned on, the image is stabilized in roll. This can be seen in BOTH the goggle image and the image recorded in the drone.

I tested stabilization when recording in 1080P. I haven't tested stabilization in 4K yet but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
2022-3-24
Use props
RH009
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2234616 ft
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 3-24 08:11
When turned on, the image is stabilized in roll. This can be seen in BOTH the goggle image and the image recorded in the drone.

I tested stabilization when recording in 1080P. I haven't tested stabilization in 4K yet but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

It seems the video recorded to the drone is split into multiple 4gb files, but is that also the case with the goggles? Also, does the drone save the audio to the recordings or is that only done on the goggles? Thanks!
2022-3-25
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
United States

RH009 Posted at 3-25 12:11
It seems the video recorded to the drone is split into multiple 4gb files, but is that also the case with the goggles? Also, does the drone save the audio to the recordings or is that only done on the goggles? Thanks!

"It seems the video recorded to the drone is split into multiple 4gb files"
The FAT32 file system limits file sizes to 4GB. While some file systems allow bigger files, it appears DJI just sets the limit to 4GB so it's the same no matter how the SD card was formatted. The same limit applies to the goggles. Since the goggles usually record at a lower resolution, there are few 4GB files produced in the goggles than in the drone.

I don't know if the sound can be recorded to the drone's SD card. I know there's a sound setting in the camera menu. I haven't figured out what is possible yet. I tried to record some test video while saying "Testing one two three" but the only sound on the recording was silence. There was sound recorded but it didn't pick up my speech. Hopefully someone who knows more about this will reply.
2022-3-25
Use props
mbze430
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406775 ft
United States

anyone know if the goggles recording will have the OSD on top of the video?  or it just the same ole feed but lower resolution?
2022-3-25
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
United States

mbze430 Posted at 3-25 18:18
anyone know if the goggles recording will have the OSD on top of the video?  or it just the same ole feed but lower resolution?

The OSD is not recorded in any of the video files.
The OSD also doesn't show up on a smart device connected over USB.
A second set of goggles WILL show the OSD but the video isn't as clear as the on the pilot's goggles. The pilot's goggles sends data back to the drone to help the quality of the link. Spectator goggles just receive whatever is being sent which often results in lower quality video.
2022-3-25
Use props
mbze430
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406775 ft
United States

man DJI should give us that feature in the goggles to allow the OSD to be recorded
2022-3-26
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
United States

mbze430 Posted at 3-26 18:04
man DJI should give us that feature in the goggles to allow the OSD to be recorded

Agreed.
I think most (if not all) the data is saved in log files. I'm pretty sure someone figured out how to overlay this data on the video.
The person who figured this out credited me for giving him a hint on how to do it but I don't know how it's done.
I think I pointed out the file extension I suspected of holding the data logs. He (I don't remember his name) then figured out how to convert these files to .srt files and then used some software to overlay the data on the video. I'm not sure what I just wrote is correct but that's what I remember.
I might be able to find the related forum posts if people are interested. No promises (I have a hard time finding old threads) but I'll give it a try.
2022-3-26
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
United States

mbze430 Posted at 3-26 18:04

Apparently RCSchim has a method of converting srt files to video overlays. I haven't tried this myself. Make sure you're aware of the latest firmware controversies before you upgrade your firmware.

2022-4-4
Use props
fansb3023b5c
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

do you know if the image stabilisation is done on both side or only drone side ?

I’d love to know this as well!
2022-9-14
Use props
fansb3023b5c
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I’d love to know this as well!
2022-9-14
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

I've always had SD cards in both the drone and the Goggles. I don't remember the exact menu path, but you can set both the drone and goggles to start recording immediately on lift-off automatically, and that's what  I do.

TCS
2022-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules