Mini2 tips over towards front right at take off have latest firmware
2529 24 2021-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17274 ft
United States

It has been 10 days since I last flew my DJI.  Aircraft has latest firmware updates, flying using Apple iPad which has always worked flawless.   I am not sure if I flew on latest firmware yet, it might be that it was update and I had not flown on it yet.   Historically, my mini 2 has flown incredibly well with zero issues up until today when I went to do short flight.   As mentioned, I am not sure if I have flown on current firmware which is the latest updated one, it may be I allowed it to update 10 days back or so and never  flew on this firmware yet, I do know I bound controller last time I had unit turned on.  

I went to fly hour ago, immediately the aircraft lifted off and flipped towards the front right rotor.   All props are good and spin clear and free.   Recalibrated IMU and compass settings, powered down, even changed battery.  Unit is still flipping over towards front right prop arm immediately as it just begins to lift off, never getting front legs off of the ground.     All props verified proper ones in great shape and in correct position

Help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you!

Jeff T.
2021-3-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Jeff T. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to calibrate the remote controller of your DJI Mini 2 for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Thank you.
2021-3-24
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-24 02:37
Hello there Jeff T. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to calibrate the remote controller of your DJI Mini 2 for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Thank you.

Where does one find calibrate controller.  I have done IMU and Compass.  I have set controller settings customized.   Is there actual calibrate controller button within settings? I don't recall seeing it..Will look at settings in Fly App....thank you. Will report back.
2021-3-24
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-24 02:37

Ok I just did the calibrate controller, when clicked it said to power off aircraft, controller calibration started and I did the controller calibration it was successful.    I am still seeing aircraft when auto takeoff hit flip over towards front right arm, never even seeing front legs lift off ground just does flip toward arm.   

IMU is calibrated successfully,
Props are set correct in good condition
Compass calibrated
Controller calibrated successfully

I do believe last time I charged and powered on was first time I bound controller and updated firmware to latest, I had never done flight until today since binding controller and I believe installing latest firmware for IOS.   That is current sitrep.   Unit has flown perfectly up until now.   This is first issue ever.  No hard crashes ever.  
2021-3-24
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

I am seeing alarming amount of post and videos related to Mini 2 motor issues. I am still hoping that this is not a fatal motor design failure that will effect all of our devices in time.
2021-3-24
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

You only see those posts that have a problem ... all others without problems do not write "I have no problems" ... what would that help?   PS: I don't have any problem either

2021-3-24
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

ozoffi Posted at 3-24 05:41
You only see those posts that have a problem ... all others without problems do not write "I have no problems" ... what would that help?   PS: I don't have any problem either

Yet

Yeah, only people with problems post about problems. There is only a fraction of users that are experiencing this issue compared to all others that don't, but amount of "Motor unable to rotate" and takeoff flip posts in DM2 board is much higher than in MM1 board.
2021-3-24
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Have you looked at the Remote, is there an error code. Maybe you can record the flight before taking off so you can see and play back any error, as that might aid in troubleshooting.
2021-3-24
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

I didn't notice you said you verified the props were correct. Are you 100% sure?  Everything you are describing points to incorrect prop placement.
2021-3-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mhinc Posted at 3-24 22:59
I didn't notice you said you verified the props were correct. Are you 100% sure?  Everything you are describing points to incorrect prop placement.

check the props with the bump on by the screws are on the arms with the little line.
2021-3-25
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-25 00:36
check the props with the bump on by the screws are on the arms with the little line.

Thanks, Yep positive on my Props, they are all installed properly motors freely spin.  Pretty confident after last update I never flew.  I was charging controller at time and decided to get latest firmware so few days between update and first flight with latest firmware update and it consistently does same thing rear gets off ground flips over to the front right.    All calibrations successful including controller.   

Been crazy busy at work next step I am going to test spinning motors up fully in hand when I have chance.   Than will try again let all know findings.  Drone has always flown perfectly no crashes, no hard hits etc.

I tried total of 7 take offs and had 7 repeatable failures, rear legs get off ground slow flip over towards front right arm each and every time...I have heard of a few others having similar issue.   When we have issues we document them and report them..............yep til now I was one of ones you never heard back from, cause it just flew perfectly since bought on first day they sold it.  
2021-3-25
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

videoeditman Posted at 3-24 14:28
Have you looked at the Remote, is there an error code. Maybe you can record the flight before taking off so you can see and play back any error, as that might aid in troubleshooting.

Thinking once I have free time, will hold in hand let spin up full speed and retry.  If that does not work than I guess I will kill firmware update and try to install different one, not sure I am able to do that with iOS... but think I can do via windows laptop.   
2021-3-25
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

SteamEngineer Posted at 3-25 04:13
Thinking once I have free time, will hold in hand let spin up full speed and retry.  If that does not work than I guess I will kill firmware update and try to install different one, not sure I am able to do that with iOS... but think I can do via windows laptop.

Hopefully you can get it working again or get help from DJI on this!
2021-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SteamEngineer Posted at 3-25 04:10
Thanks, Yep positive on my Props, they are all installed properly motors freely spin.  Pretty confident after last update I never flew.  I was charging controller at time and decided to get latest firmware so few days between update and first flight with latest firmware update and it consistently does same thing rear gets off ground flips over to the front right.    All calibrations successful including controller.   

Been crazy busy at work next step I am going to test spinning motors up fully in hand when I have chance.   Than will try again let all know findings.  Drone has always flown perfectly no crashes, no hard hits etc.

I think then I would replace the props,  it doesn't take much for them to deform slightly.
2021-3-25
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-25 06:37
I think then I would replace the props,  it doesn't take much for them to deform slightly.

I had 10 minutes free before day gets crazy busy, decided to replace props all around, I had few extra sets I had purchased when I bought it but have not used.   Decided to switch out all new props on all arms, I had done many flights in winter.  Tested it out, no issues.   What was strange is all my new spare prop bags were open and I was short a full B set missing.  

I never opened my spare prop bag since I bought them.    I have feeling someone decided to sneak a flight in while I was at work this past week................and tried to coverup their endeavor, confidence high I know culprit............click lightbulb moment  now I know why they were acting strange around me few days ago when I got home from work.   
All working well like it has been all along.   Time to put locks on flight case.

Everything about issue was screaming props, used advice above and went back through inpsecting again, low and behold many findings.......props it was, and reason it appeared after many days without flight makes sense.  Put 2 and 2 together.............and everything clicks in head on events of past week now.  GREMLINS!!

2021-3-25
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Huh! some workmates you have to do a thing like that and not own up to it. These things are  not that cheap. AND, What would the consequences have been IF it had taken off and flew into someone and caused serious injury. Doesn't bear thinking about! Stay safe!
Sorry, just reread your post. Not your workmates, but somebody closer to home!
2021-3-25
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

yogi053 Posted at 3-25 07:35
Huh! some workmates you have to do a thing like that and not own up to it. These things are  not that cheap. AND, What would the consequences have been IF it had taken off and flew into someone and caused serious injury. Doesn't bear thinking about! Stay safe!
Sorry, just reread your post. Not your workmates, but somebody closer to home!

Yes, One 15 year old..........few days back I recall my mini screwdriver set being missing from my normal location, I am toolie, I know where everything I have for tools is located.......and I have never opened my spare props, bag was ripped open in case.......said subject confessed, responded back to my text.   Guess its time for punishment, perhaps buy them one for their own use, let em learn the hobby properly.
2021-3-25
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

SteamEngineer Posted at 3-25 07:44
Yes, One 15 year old..........few days back I recall my mini screwdriver set being missing from my normal location, I am toolie, I know where everything I have for tools is located.......and I have never opened my spare props, bag was ripped open in case.......said subject confessed, responded back to my text.   Guess its time for punishment, perhaps buy them one for their own use, let em learn the hobby properly.

Punishment! Buy him a drone? Yeah! after at least 3 months without mobile phone, xbox, playstation or whatever and your car gleaming inside and out.

2021-3-25
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

Funny story, though. Reminds me of one of our cats who peed in my shoes and looked even more innocent than she ever did before.
2021-3-25
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

SteamEngineer Posted at 3-25 07:44
Yes, One 15 year old..........few days back I recall my mini screwdriver set being missing from my normal location, I am toolie, I know where everything I have for tools is located.......and I have never opened my spare props, bag was ripped open in case.......said subject confessed, responded back to my text.   Guess its time for punishment, perhaps buy them one for their own use, let em learn the hobby properly.

Glad you got it figured out, and it does not need to go back to DJI for service. I think the culprit should at least purchase new blades for you! Glad there wasn't a worse consequence!
2021-3-25
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

This all sounds like when you had it stored from the last time you flew the props were being bent. I’ll bet they are still good. I’d place them flat in a worm room for a couple days.
Be careful when storing so the props are not being obstructed.
Doug
2021-3-25
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 3-25 00:36
check the props with the bump on by the screws are on the arms with the little line.

You realize you replied to the person that suggested making sure it wasn't the props causing the issue right?
2021-3-25
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

SteamEngineer Posted at 3-25 07:23
I had 10 minutes free before day gets crazy busy, decided to replace props all around, I had few extra sets I had purchased when I bought it but have not used.   Decided to switch out all new props on all arms, I had done many flights in winter.  Tested it out, no issues.   What was strange is all my new spare prop bags were open and I was short a full B set missing.  

I never opened my spare prop bag since I bought them.    I have feeling someone decided to sneak a flight in while I was at work this past week................and tried to coverup their endeavor, confidence high I know culprit............click lightbulb moment  now I know why they were acting strange around me few days ago when I got home from work.   

Called it!
2021-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SteamEngineer Posted at 3-25 07:23
I had 10 minutes free before day gets crazy busy, decided to replace props all around, I had few extra sets I had purchased when I bought it but have not used.   Decided to switch out all new props on all arms, I had done many flights in winter.  Tested it out, no issues.   What was strange is all my new spare prop bags were open and I was short a full B set missing.  

The combo kit doesn't have a full set of props which might explain your missing set.  Good you've got it resolved.
2021-3-26
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-26 00:10
The combo kit doesn't have a full set of props which might explain your missing set.  Good you've got it resolved.

Thanks for that answer DAFlys. That has been bugging me for a while. I have 3 unopened packets of prop blades and I thought I had misplaced a packet. DUH! I should have checked the actual list of components supplied. Age thing, I guess.
2021-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules