DJI Digital FPV system DISCONTINUED!? Custom FPV drones NO MORE?
14994 16 2021-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Originalas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204222 ft
  • >>>
Lithuania

So DJI digital system discontinued? Forcing to switch to a DJI FPV drone for anyone flying custom DJI digital FPV builds!?

2021-3-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, DJI is still making the FPV Goggles V2 and the remote controller for our customers in the FPV community. Due to supply issues for some components of the FPV Air Unit, DJI has worked with a partner to provide an alternative system of equal performance that works with the FPV Goggles V2 and remote controller. Customers can purchase the system around Mid-April. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers. DJI will share an update on the alternative system availability soon.
2021-3-25
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-25 01:57
Hello there, DJI is still making the FPV Goggles V2 and the remote controller for our customers in the FPV community. Due to supply issues for some components of the FPV Air Unit, DJI has worked with a partner to provide an alternative system of equal performance that works with the FPV Goggles V2 and remote controller. Customers can purchase the system around Mid-April. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers. DJI will share an update on the alternative system availability soon.

Do you mean there will be NEW "V2 system" in April?  Or just new stock of current alternative units like Vista / nebula?
2021-3-25
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

I've tried to follow the latest DJI news here is what I've learned.
DJI is likely discontinuing making their Air Units but Caddix will still be making their version. Apparently Caddix has had supply issues but plan to made more units in April.
DJI has not stated any intention of making a new Air Unit to go with the V2 goggles though I hope they do.

Here's one of the YouTube videos on this topic.

2021-3-25
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

This is all confusing. I really want a clarification on this topic from Dji.
Do you want us to stop ordering your products till you have gotten your house in order, or?
2021-3-25
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

We want Dji systems and not “ alternative system of equal performance”.. which they are not even close, caddx systems are total rubbish a disgrace for DJI fpv...

2021-3-25
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Originalas Posted at 3-25 23:37
We want Dji systems and not “ alternative system of equal performance”.. which they are not even close, caddx systems are total rubbish a disgrace for DJI fpv...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR4cQf1frAc

You're probably thinking of the original Nebula, which yes had truly awful video. But the Caddix Vista is almost identical to the DJI Air Unit. I have one on my iflight Nazgul and the only difference between it and the Air Unit in my Titan DC5 is maybe a little more washed out colors than on the Air Unit. The Caddix has better range too, for some reason.

As for the Nebula, the Nebula Pro replaces it and it's a lot better and reasonably close to the Vista. JB does a comparison on his channel:

2021-3-26
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Vista uses the same camera as the DJI unit.. it's great but the exact problem is shortage of DJI cameras on both Air and Vista units.

So there are only Caddx cameras left and those sucks.. no mater it's V1, V2 or Pro. They just do not compare to the quality of the DJI camera.
2021-3-26
Use props
djiuser_aPToBuM1kqUG
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Originalas Posted at 3-26 10:07
Vista uses the same camera as the DJI unit.. it's great but the exact problem is shortage of DJI cameras on both Air and Vista units.

So there are only Caddx cameras left and those sucks.. no mater it's V1, V2 or Pro. They just do not compare to the quality of the DJI camera.

have you not tried analogue yet?

caddx is not a disgrace to the dji system. The video is just as good and the unit is smaller + easier to mount.

you need to chill out a bit. Pretty aggressive messages for no reason.
2021-3-26
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Or maybe for the exact reason that I had only rubbish from Caddx. Turtle V2, Turbo, Orca all complete garbage even on analog. Some didn't even look like 240p.

The main reason I have upgraded to DJI digital is the video quality. The whole point spending +1000 euros.. and DJI is saying, oh, well we don't have stock, Caddx "is as good". It's a disgrace that Nebula V1 and V2 had any association with DJI FPV. How bad those cameras were. You can't see a thing, just a blurry mess,  defeats the whole purpose of digital system.

And we were waiting for Air Unit upgrade with Ocusync 3.0 and 810p video to match the DJI FPV drone. Not a complete downgrade. Luckily I still have a few DJI cameras, maybe it will be enough to carry through the shortage.. and hopefully DJI does work on Air unit V2 upgrade.
2021-3-26
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

And the whole question. Will DJI continue developing FPV system? Can we expect new cameras and units in future?

Or it's DJI FPV drones from here only?
2021-3-29
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Originalas Posted at 3-29 00:57
And the whole question. Will DJI continue developing FPV system? Can we expect new cameras and units in future?

Or it's DJI FPV drones from here only?

The best bet is on the FPV drone, not the digital system. The parts businesses have always been side-hustles for DJI and they always get discontinued once they're integrated into their own turn-key drone solutions.

So, I'd say, based on history, the chances of a V2 Air Unit are basically zero. They probably sold more FPV drones in the first week than they did FPV digital system components during their entire lifetime, and made a pile more cash doing it.

I still think once the pandemic starts to get behind us, and the chip shortages get sorted, they or Caddix or someone, will bring an air unit of some sort back into a limited production. At least for a while. When that happens, I'd stock up for the future as much as you can afford.

But for future developments? No. The FPV drone is a done deal now, and so far it's a hit, so that's where DJI's focus is going to be for FPV. I personally will probably not make any more large investments in the digital system anymore either. And if I keep up to date with Ocusync 3.0, I'll probably invest in the FPV drone and keep up with it going forward.

I don't think we have much choice but the FPV drone, I'll put it that way, if we want to stick with development of DJI's FPV video system....
BTW, the video from the FPV drone is almost no comparison with the digital system. The digital system gives awesome video, but the FPV drone's in-goggle video is absolutely outstanding.....

2021-3-29
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Custom builders always seem like a second class users..

Exactly the same story was with phantoms, when DJI forced everyone to the phantom and made way more money selling overpriced batteries alone.  

DJI FPV is even better with 5 min flight times.. they are making a killing on selling DJI FPV batteries alone, more than the whole custom FPV system might been worth.
Execpt the Phantom were cool and revolutionized the market.. but the DJI FPV drone feels like a complete beta thing so far. A downgrade from custom models, as far as flight characteristics, performance and durability goes.
2021-3-29
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Originalas Posted at 3-29 05:02
Custom builders always seem like a second class users..

Exactly the same story was with phantoms, when DJI forced everyone to the phantom and made way more money selling overpriced batteries alone.  

Agree, it's a sad situation we're in with "traditional" FPV. There's a good youtube video that kind of explains how we got into this is, with this kind of dependence on DJI for a good digital FPV system. And why once it does end up going away, there probably won't be a good competitor for a very long time, if at all:

2021-3-29
Use props
Bodie07
lvl.2
Flight distance : 506864 ft
Canada

What does this mean for my warranty if I crash?
2021-3-30
Use props
djiuser_oZjMfSda8suw
lvl.1

Australia

djiuser_aPToBuM1kqUG Posted at 3-26 11:09
have you not tried analogue yet?

caddx is not a disgrace to the dji system. The video is just as good and the unit is smaller + easier to mount.

Hahahaha, that's hilarious bro
2021-7-8
Use props
djiuser_UW8ql1j6yLA6
lvl.1

United States

Originalas Posted at 3-26 11:45
Or maybe for the exact reason that I had only rubbish from Caddx. Turtle V2, Turbo, Orca all complete garbage even on analog. Some didn't even look like 240p.

The main reason I have upgraded to DJI digital is the video quality. The whole point spending +1000 euros.. and DJI is saying, oh, well we don't have stock, Caddx "is as good". It's a disgrace that Nebula V1 and V2 had any association with DJI FPV. How bad those cameras were. You can't see a thing, just a blurry mess,  defeats the whole purpose of digital system.

So, current date … August 4th..
I’ve tried 5 different cameras, 2 different vistas.. & I still get the same result.
White DJI logo & black background.
Now, at this point …. I know without a DOUBT I’ve done everything absolutely above accuracy, & everything in betaflight is golden. ✔️
I can fly LOS fine. But, no goggle feed.
& I can’t do anything to seem to get one.

Please, anyone…
What in the hell is going on & why can’t I seem to get a camera feed through my goggles?

*V1 goggles/Newest Fw update as of 08/04/21
*both vistas updated as well. Same with remote controller.
*all bound fine together
*flys great
*all pid’s are tip top.
****NO DAMN CAMERA FEED!!!!!  

Help.
2021-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules