Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4GB file size limit
7646 13 2021-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lucifer01
lvl.1
Turkey

Hello,

Could anyone tell me why the action splits the video to chunks of 4gb files?
I tried it in both Fat32, and exFat formats, and it makes no difference.
Why can't I just have one normal continuous video, and have to make do with 20, 4gb files for a single 1h recording time?

I'm recording in 4k 24fps, my SD card is a Sandisk Extreme 128gb (A2-V30-3). Read speed:160MB/s, Write speed:90MB/s

Thank you
2021-3-24
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Fat32 doesn’t allow files sizes more than 4gb and DJI have stated in other threads they don’t allow it in ExFat in case the file gets corrupt you lose everything which to me if they had more faith in the product wouldn’t matter,
2021-3-24
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

At least Osmo Action gets the naming right, adding suffixes to the same filename for the parts, so that everything is easily grouped together. Most DJI products don't do that (including the much newer Mini 2) creating every part with a new file name. Because of that you cannot tell by looking at the directory which one is a seperate video and which is a part of another...
2021-3-24
Use props
Lucifer01
lvl.1
Turkey

Thank you for the replies,

I love the video quality of the Action, and Rocksteady works extremely well in my situation (Motorcycle commute).
But I really don't get the file splitting thing being mandatory.. Why can I just not choose to have it shoot a continuous video.. If my file is corrupted that's my problem.
2021-3-24
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Lucifer01 Posted at 3-24 12:54

I love the video quality of the Action, and Rocksteady works extremely well in my situation (Motorcycle commute).

Unfortunately it’s there way or no way, I agree with you and so do others,

2021-3-24
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

One really big file is not great to work with for your computer and harddrive, it would make it really slow.

I don't mind a lot of 4GB files, and as mention before DJI gives proper names to the files, gopro is a pain to work with in post with strange naming on files.

2021-3-24
Use props
Lucifer01
lvl.1
Turkey

johansenfoto Posted at 3-24 13:30
One really big file is not great to work with for your computer and harddrive, it would make it really slow.

I don't mind a lot of 4GB files, and as mention before DJI gives proper names to the files, gopro is a pain to work with in post with strange naming on files.

I think not giving us the option is a bit ridiculous. It's the sort of thing Apple does with their products.
I have good hardware on my PC to edit videos, so the slowing down bit is not an issue for me. But I'm not looking to be a YouTuber, so i would barely use video editing software. I mostly use the action as a safety item. And sometimes I would just like to watch my commute to work and back. And if I were to make a video, the fact that I would have to piece together 15 videos to make 1 video is just a pain in the ass
2021-3-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.
2021-3-24
Use props
Lucifer01
lvl.1
Turkey

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-24 20:31
Hello there. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.
Thank you for your reply Stephen.
And I do understand the point of view.
However not giving us the option to film a continous video instead of having to edit everything together is not very helpful.
I would much rather have the option to select a continuous mode. Not everyone will bother editing their videos in post, I just want to shoot my commute for personal, and security reasons and not have to worry about stitching the video together in post..
2021-3-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Lucifer01 Posted at 3-24 23:18
Thank you for your reply Stephen.
And I do understand the point of view.
However not giving us the option to film a continous video instead of having to edit everything together is not very helpful.

Hi there. Thank you for the reply and for sharing your valued insights to us with regards to this matter. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for evaluation. Thank you.
2021-3-25
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180604 ft
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 3-24 13:30

I don't mind a lot of 4GB files, and as mention before DJI gives proper names to the files, gopro is a pain to work with in post with strange naming on files.

Wrong!

My Vegas pro works faster with one source media, than with lot of smaller...
2021-3-26
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

relaxosmo Posted at 3-26 23:32
Wrong!

My Vegas pro works faster with one source media, than with lot of smaller...

I doubt it will work fast with one 50GB file
2021-3-27
Use props
Florian2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38225 ft
Austria

It is really ridiculous to limit the file size to 4 GB. A DJI Mavic Pro doesn't do that either...
So please be so kind and give us at least an option to select it.

And while we're on the subject of making a wish. Please finally build a webcam mode for the DJI Osmo Action. <-- There is no reason at all not having this feature!!!! It's just a damn firmware update.
2021-5-28
Use props
djiuser_tSimFUP2RM9H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137943 ft
United States

Lucifer01 Posted at 2021-3-24 12:54

In this modern say you dont get to choose. All life decisions are made for you.
2022-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules