Manual Shutter speed + Rocksteady
1251 3 2021-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lucifer01
lvl.1
Turkey

Hello,

I was wondering how Rocksteady works if I select Manual shutter speed.
I will be shooting 4K 24 fps, 1/50 shutter speed for the cinematic effect.

But since rocksteady works by adjusting the shutter speed, how does it work with it limited to 1/50?

As the RS, indicator is still blue while shooting on those settings, meaning it's working?

Thank you in advance.
2021-3-24
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

Why not try it out?!
2021-3-25
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Don't even hope for useful results. It's horribly jittery. I gave up on it. It's really only usable if you're very calm and smooth with your own movements.
2021-3-26
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

Mizzu Posted at 3-26 03:42
Don't even hope for useful results. It's horribly jittery. I gave up on it. It's really only usable if you're very calm and smooth with your own movements.

That is no surprise! Modern video stabilisation like Rocksteady need good contrast in the pictures, and for this short shutter speeds. Unsharpness as a result of heavy camera movement in action scenes with long shutterspeed unables the stabilization.

As I understand Rocksteady (and Gopros Hypersmooth) it works in the following way: During recording the camera buffers an amout of raw pictures before deciding which part of a picture is added to the video (For this there was a lag between the action and it's "live view" on the cameras display of about 1 seond in the first firmware version with Rocksteady On). This way the camera is able to look into the future (at least 1 second) and can calculate a smooth path for the pictures it adds. But for this calculation there must be parts with sharp contrast, which can be followed in the buffered pictures. Without that, it is unpossible to stabilize the video on a per pixel base.
2021-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules