Mavic Mini Battery charger almost burning down bus
1334 3 2021-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

After I got my Mini I bought some other stuff like extra batteries (have 3 now), this charger, spare props (8 pairs), ND fiters, hard case and a lens hood. I even have an anemometer just to check wind speeds on the ground. I've been using these for over a month now and thought I'm all set for if I want to shoot nice scenes outside in the wildernis. Well this morning my phone battery was low so I decided to use the charger as powerbank. Stuffed 2 of my batteries in and it worked for like half an hour or so.
I had to step out for a moment and pulled the phone off the "powerbank" and left the charger with the batteries in it inthe bus. After coming back (after 5-7 mins I think) I started smelling burned plastic so I turned to the guys in the bus to ask if they were also smelling it. Confirmed by others. I looked beside me and saw smoke coming out of my backpack, immediately opened it and pulled out the charger. It started to catch on fire right after I took it out of the bag. Quickly pulled out the batteries and the fire died.
check this out....
20210325_065440_1.jpg
20210325_065413_1.jpg

I haven't checked the batteries yet but I hope they're still ok.... Can I just pop them in the Mini and see if it starts or give any warnings and so?
Anyone seen this happening before?
2021-3-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there doglaboi. I am sorry to read and to know what happened. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who had used the said 3rd party charger in charging there DJI intelligent flight batteries. Just a reminder that there is a possibility that these 3rd party chargers will be able work. However, since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party chargers if it will charge the said batteries all the time with no issues and using 3rd party chargers might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and please stay safe always.
2021-3-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just ran across your thread.  First, I normally don't trust non-DJI chargers.  2nd, I don't think the batteries were effected so hoping you have had a chance to put them in the Mini and give them a short test and flight.  Great timing on your part as the charger plastic was just smoldering until you pulled it out of the backpack and when it got needed oxygen it erupted into flames.  Just super lucky you caught it when you did.
2021-4-13
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

One of the batteries has some heat damage but they're all still working fine. I had 2 in the charger and after I got back home I put them in the mini and tested them. I still get my normal flying time now with those 2 batteries. So seems to be OK. Still I'm a bit reluctant to use them when doing longer distances. It did end up burning a hole in my Jacket which was also in the bag, probably the part where was the hottest on the charger before taking it out.
2021-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules