experience reports of engine protection caps
1169 16 2021-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 295161 ft
Germany

Often when i take a look at equipment on google i see the engine protection caps avaiable for MM and MM2. But i often ask myself whether it makes sense to assemble them. And if this should make sense, why dji didn't installed it to protect the motors, in case of overheating mayby? Did you assemble them and what are your experience of these caps?
2021-3-27
Use props
ranrick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8721903 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Personally, I don't think they are that useful. Particularly because I keep my MM in the case out of dust and exposure when not in use anyway. And when I'm using it, the propellers spinning essentially give some sort of cover for the motor windings already. Plus the motor windings should already be coated with insulation material for them to work in the first place. Best that can do is provide some small protection if you encounter rain but then again I would be highly against flying in rainy conditions and be sure to check the weather forecast beforehand.
2021-3-27
Use props
ranrick
Second Officer
  • >>>
Philippines

Also, for me, it really just adds needless weight to the aircraft. I personally would like to save as much weight as possible just to give the best performance no matter how small the optimization effect. Cause adding weight just slows it down and hampers the drone's wind resistance capabilities.
2021-3-27
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

ranrick Posted at 3-27 06:57
Personally, I don't think they are that useful. Particularly because I keep my MM in the case out of dust and exposure when not in use anyway. And when I'm using it, the propellers spinning essentially give some sort of cover for the motor windings already. Plus the motor windings should already be coated with insulation material for them to work in the first place. Best that can do is provide some small protection if you encounter rain but then again I would be highly against flying in rainy conditions and be sure to check the weather forecast beforehand.

yeah i am also not sure about it. but it sounds plausible
2021-3-28
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

ranrick Posted at 3-27 06:59
Also, for me, it really just adds needless weight to the aircraft. I personally would like to save as much weight as possible just to give the best performance no matter how small the optimization effect. Cause adding weight just slows it down and hampers the drone's wind resistance capabilities.

i also still take alook at the weight but sometimes a little improvement brings a lot
2021-3-28
Use props
ranrick
Second Officer
  • >>>
Philippines

MM Pilot Posted at 3-28 02:44
i also still take alook at the weight but sometimes a little improvement brings a lot

Go give it a try if you want to. It won't really bring any harm to the aircraft anyway. I just don't see much benefits of having one that's all.
2021-3-28
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

ranrick Posted at 3-28 03:02
Go give it a try if you want to. It won't really bring any harm to the aircraft anyway. I just don't see much benefits of having one that's all.

yeah mayby i don't know at the moment if i would buy this. I thought i open a thread about this theme, because no any other reports about the caps are on the internet.
2021-3-28
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

2021-3-28
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

Some like it, some don't
2021-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

They are a solution in search of a problem. Don't use them, the motors need all the air flow they can get.
2021-3-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji will be along shortly to advise you not to use them.  i concur.
2021-3-28
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

Ralle Posted at 3-28 13:41
https://youtu.be/w2UiSYeeOoo?t=1

thanks
2021-3-29
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

Ralle Posted at 3-28 13:44
Some like it, some don't

yeah i often read that,but i also think,that this is not a good idea
2021-3-29
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

Geebax Posted at 3-28 14:57
They are a solution in search of a problem. Don't use them, the motors need all the air flow they can get.

you mean the air flow for cooling?
2021-3-29
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

The Saint Posted at 3-28 16:19
dji will be along shortly to advise you not to use them.  i concur.

yep i also think so
2021-3-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MM Pilot Posted at 3-29 10:37
you mean the air flow for cooling?

Yes, for cooling.
2021-3-29
Use props
MM Pilot