Mini 2 intelligent batteries aren't self discharging.
19192 109 2021-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneJunkieQc
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 4-12 12:00
Then your batteries or charger are different from mine.  None of my MA2 batteries will discharge while on the charger, no matter the length of time.

That's weird I have to un plug and then re plug onto MavAir2 hub to recharge battery after it goes down to three lights 75%.
I too like having at least one fully charged at all times but they go down to three lights after a few days.
2021-4-12
Use props
Amoxitine
lvl.2
Flight distance : 323586 ft
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 4-12 18:59
GUYS: You still are not listening (or reading). My Mini 2 battery will NOT self discharge regardless of where it is. That is the real issue. Right now it has sat on the shelf by itself for over a week now and when I just put it into the drone, it showed all 4 lights.

Hi GaryDoug,

I'm listening mate (not that I can help fix the issue though lol!).

Having observed the behaviour of my Mini 2 batteries over the last couple of weeks now I can back you up on what you say. From what I have observed, when outside of any device (hub or drone) the batteries will discharge from 100% to 96%, BUT they won't then go on to discharge to the DJI manual indicated level 72% after 5 days and instead just sit at 96% (which would still trigger all 4 LEDs to light up) so as far as I'm concerned my batteries only do the 1st day discharge phase, but then get stuck.

I know it's been suggested that it could be battery firmware related and therefore could explain why some of us have the problem but not all. If that is true then hopefully DJI will be able to make an update that can sort this issue out for those of us that are affected.
2021-4-13
Use props
Dji_user_hook969
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11496 ft
Italy

hi Live My Journey,
I am a beginner and bought my first drone (the mini2 fly more combo) in January 2021. for convenience I always left, after flying, the three 100% charged batteries in its charging hub, but now that I read this tread I charge the batteries only until the led 3 of 4 lights up and I put them back in the backpack without putting them in the hub ...

Thanks for this information,
Andrea.
2021-4-13
Use props
DVDB66
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1294764 ft
Austria

THANK YOU Thomas for letting us know (and enduring stupid comments for it). From now on, after my batteries are charged I will turn them in the pack and carry them like that.
2021-4-18
Use props
Jackie-Gan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 457477 ft
Mexico

Batteries won't self-discharge if left at hub or drone. Give your beloved DJI drone a dedicated storage space.
As shown here:
2021-4-22
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Jackie-Gan Posted at 4-22 21:59
Batteries won't self-discharge if left at hub or drone. Give your beloved DJI drone a dedicated storage space.
As shown here:
[view_image]

I confirm that mine does not discharge auto either, left them in a soft case, separated, still 9x% after 2 weeks.
This is not good.
2021-4-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could print my little battery saver if you have a 3D printer
2021-4-23
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Well, I have the batteries in the Hub, BUT - they are out a little so that they are NOT connected to the circuitry, and they discharge just fine.  Whenever I am not going to use them for a while.
2021-4-25
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

How about that. A clear, concise answer from a moderator instead of making believe they need more information to understand the problem.
2021-4-26
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Live My Journey Posted at 3-29 14:48
You are missing the point. The batteries feature self discharge feature. This is suppressed by batteries being left in the hub. This is not a feature but a fault. There is no mention of this in the manual of the drone or the hub itself. On the contrary it says the betteties will self discharge to 72% within 5 days if the charging. Most people would assume this will happen as advertised and have their batteries damaged over time by leaving them fully charged.

I think I see the point you are making, and I agree with it.  IF the battery is inserted into the hub so that it's circuitry is connected to the circuitry of the hub, it interferes with the discharging feature.  Of course, IF you insert the battery into the hub - not completely - so that it does not connect to the hub electronics, then it should start to discharge after some time has passed.  What do you think?  That is how mine will discharge after some time.  It has always done that.
2021-4-27
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Live My Journey:  IF - the battery is connected to the craft/battery hub circuitry, it will NOT AUTOMATICALLY discharge, when connected, it is meant to power the craft, and when in the HUB it is meant to be charged,.
IF it is meant to automatically  discharge, then do not have it connected to anything.  I put my batteries in the hub about 3/4 of the way, this way they are not connected, and they discharge just fine.  
It has also been noted that IF you connect the battery to the craft or hub, so as to use the indicating charge level light, then the battery will start its discharge at a different
time when it is disconnected.  For those who doubt the above information then fully charge a battery, take it out - where it is NOT connected, then in 15 days check it by inserting
it into the hub or craft and pressing the button..    Give it a try.  I think sometimes the use of words in their descriptions, do not convey the correct or complete meaning.  
2021-4-29
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178806 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 4-29 10:37
Live My Journey:  IF - the battery is connected to the craft/battery hub circuitry, it will NOT AUTOMATICALLY discharge, when connected, it is meant to power the craft, and when in the HUB it is meant to be charged,.
IF it is meant to automatically  discharge, then do not have it connected to anything.  I put my batteries in the hub about 3/4 of the way, this way they are not connected, and they discharge just fine.  
It has also been noted that IF you connect the battery to the craft or hub, so as to use the indicating charge level light, then the battery will start its discharge at a different

The facts are:
Manual states that idle batteries will discharge to 72% within 5 days. Period
In fact regardles of how you store the batteries they only discharge to 96% after a day and stop.
2021-4-29
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

According to DroneDJ, DJI is working on a firmware update to fix this:

https://dronedj.com/2021/04/29/d ... ry-discharge-issue/
2021-4-29
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 4-29 12:28
According to DroneDJ, DJI is working on a firmware update to fix this:

https://dronedj.com/2021/04/29/dji-says-its-working-on-a-fix-for-mini-2-battery-discharge-issue/

It's a good sign but what that are saying they are working on fixing is in my opinion a tip of the iceberg. Based on comments on my video alone there are people with batteries that behave in completely different manner. Some claim they discharge 20% a day and some continue discharging after 5 days. Mine don't generally discharge and I have tested them in all different scenarios. Who could they have not known about this issue? Why have the forum in the first place if they fail to address the feedback we provide?
2021-4-29
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Live My Journey Posted at 4-29 12:57
It's a good sign but what that are saying they are working on fixing is in my opinion a tip of the iceberg. Based on comments on my video alone there are people with batteries that behave in completely different manner. Some claim they discharge 20% a day and some continue discharging after 5 days. Mine don't generally discharge and I have tested them in all different scenarios. Who could they have not known about this issue? Why have the forum in the first place if they fail to address the feedback we provide?

Very valid points... DJI in general is not very keen on admitting to their mistakes though. They address them, quite often they correct them, but they do not speak of them

The people with the fly more combo are lucky as they have a manual solution at least (discharging the batteries via the hub). The ones that got the regular package will have to wait for a solution
2021-4-29
Use props
JMB2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4183 ft
Australia

FWIW

I'm not sure whether it's related or not, but i've just powered on my drone (30/4/2021) and was advised there was a Firmware update.  (I used it 2 days ago and there were no firmware updates available, but just now it auto prompted me)
There was no mention or further details on what the firmware update was, but On completion of the Firmware update, it said that the Battery Firmware had been updated - See screenshot.
Based on that info, i inserted another one of my batteries into the Drone and powered it up, and Again was advised there was a Firmware Update available.. Once completed the same message appears about the Battery Firmware being updated.
And the same happened when i plugged my 3rd battery into the drone.

Hopefully they have addressed one/some of the discharging issues?!
2021-4-29
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

JMB2000 Posted at 4-29 18:18
FWIW

I'm not sure whether it's related or not, but i've just powered on my drone (30/4/2021) and was advised there was a Firmware update.  (I used it 2 days ago and there were no firmware updates available, but just now it auto prompted me)

Thank you for sharing! I will check it out tomorrow!
2021-4-29
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

JMB2000 Posted at 4-29 18:18
FWIW

I'm not sure whether it's related or not, but i've just powered on my drone (30/4/2021) and was advised there was a Firmware update.  (I used it 2 days ago and there were no firmware updates available, but just now it auto prompted me)

I had one myself, that might be it. I have only updated one of the batteries though. I will do the rest soon...
2021-4-29
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

https://dronedj.com/2021/04/29/dji-says-its-working-on-a-fix-for-mini-2-battery-discharge-issue
2021-4-29
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

And it is getting weirder... Only 2 of my 3 batteries from the fly more combo were updated....
2021-4-30
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 4-30 00:39
And it is getting weirder... Only 2 of my 3 batteries from the fly more combo were updated....

One often updates along with the drone update. If you have ticked the option to go to live view as soon as the drone connects you might not notice battery updates for a long time. You would actually have to go back to the main menu to see it with the drone still connected
2021-4-30
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

Live My Journey Posted at 4-30 00:44
One often updates along with the drone update. If you have ticked the option to go to live view as soon as the drone connects you might not notice battery updates for a long time. You would actually have to go back to the main menu to see it with the drone still connected

I have never understood the Battery FW update? I bought my Mini2 recently from Currys.. it was classed as a second so came with a £100 discount, but was brand new and sealed, but just had a damage box.

But the manufacturing date was early for a Mini2, so I assumed the batteries would update.. But they never did.. I have never seen the batteries update since I got it.

So either the battery update process is flawed in some way. Or, perhaps the early batteries don't need updating?

2021-4-30
Use props
Zlostorko
lvl.1

Bulgaria

CemAygun Posted at 4-30 00:39
And it is getting weirder... Only 2 of my 3 batteries from the fly more combo were updated....

Same here - 2 of 3 updated.
2021-4-30
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Live My Journey Posted at 4-30 00:44

Yep, I have noticed that. I had to go back to get the second one updated. The third one never did. I even turned everything down, killed the app, start from scratch, still nothing...
2021-4-30
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Zlostorko Posted at 4-30 10:27
Same here - 2 of 3 updated.

Really weird...
2021-4-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Live My Journey, I can only speak as to what I have observed, and that is that after the batteries I have  - have not been connected to anything for weeks at a time,
I pressed the button, and only two lights lit, in most cases, one time one battery lit three lights.    And that is why I say they DO discharge???
Thank you for your part in the discussion, it is interesting.
2021-4-30
Use props
Leszek
lvl.1

Poland

There are no clear answers as to how to proceed with li-po batteries. I have a Mini2 and I still do not know if the batteries should be fully charged before they are stored for a longer period (e.g. 1 month) and will discharge themselves to the storage level, or if after the flight it is necessary to wait until they cool down and charge to 60%. I am asking because there are doubts about balance.

2022-1-4
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 128 ft
  • >>>
United States

One alternative solution would be to use the battery hub to discharge by charging other devices.
However, the Hub start with the less charged battery and it won't stop until that battery is completely drained, which is worst for battery longevity.
It would have been better that the hub start with the most charged battery and switch to the next once the battery is discharged to 50% or 20%.

It sucks.
2022-1-6
Use props
Live My Journey
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Barramundi Posted at 1-6 11:13
One alternative solution would be to use the battery hub to discharge by charging other devices.
However, the Hub start with the less charged battery and it won't stop until that battery is completely drained, which is worst for battery longevity.
It would have been better that the hub start with the most charged battery and switch to the next once the battery is discharged to 50% or 20%.

This has been fixed about 6 months ago with a firmware update
2022-1-6
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 128 ft
  • >>>
United States

Live My Journey Posted at 1-6 14:06
This has been fixed about 6 months ago with a firmware update

Thanks, how do I know if my batteries have been updated.
Any firmware number to look at from the batteries, I do have the latest firmware in the Mini 2.Still not happy how the hub works as a charger bank though, so I guess I just don't use it as such.
2022-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules