Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mini 2 intelligent batteries aren't self discharging.
123Next >
19109 109 2021-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geeforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30128 ft
Netherlands

No discharge over here too. Not on the hub, not in the drone and also not when they kept separate.  We got a second combo in the house, so going to see if these discharge. But production date is the same as mine, so I think I know the answer already.
2021-4-5
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

However, I noticed that after a day of inactivity, the battery level drops to about 98%. I don't know how it is after a few days, because I avoid such situations. Generally, after flying, it charges to the level of 70-80% and right before the scheduled flight I top it up to 100%.
2021-4-5
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

Live My Journey Posted at 4-3 23:36
It's not only relevant to the 2 way hub. The batteries within the drone itself also don't go into auto discharge mode. Basically this is a manufacturer defect as the device doesn't work as described and people have already been reaching out to me saying that some of their batteries started failing. This needs to be addressed ASAP. Preferably bay a fix that will make our betteties discharge as intended and not by an addendum to the manual.

Just watched your video on YouTube last night, and have been experiencing the same issue. A complete newbie to the drone scene as I've only had the mini 2 since the start of February, and only managed 14 short flights during the month. All three batteries were last fully charged at the end of February and I haven't managed to get out since. Having read various threads about battery charging/discharging, I decided to charge all three again in the hope of getting out.

All three showed three LEDs when inserted into the hub. The first battery was charging for 90 minutes before I pulled it out, as it shouldn't take 90 minutes to top it up. The next battery to charge only took 10 minutes and the next battery took 30 minutes. All three were bought as part of the fly more bundle and all had only been fully charged a total of three times previously.
2021-4-6
Use props
djiuser_BHlQcbSw2ica
New

United Kingdom

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 3-30 04:43
My guess would be because the charging hub is also used as a power bank when the batteries are stored in the hub it shuts off the discharge feature.
DJI did ask if you stored in the hub and if so to remove them from the hub.
This might not be the answer you wanted to hear but it is the answer.

A simple method of storing your batteries in the charging hub does not
require you to wedge them in 180 degrees. All you need to do is cut a sliver of insulating pvc tape and stick it over the battery connection terminals and drop the battery into its slot as normal. Obviously the tape will prevent contact with the charging pins. Remove the tape when you need to re charge.

2021-4-7
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_BHlQcbSw2ica Posted at 4-7 10:44
A simple method of storing your batteries in the charging hub does not
require you to wedge them in 180 degrees. All you need to do is cut a sliver of insulating pvc tape and stick it over the battery connection terminals and drop the battery into its slot as normal. Obviously the tape will prevent contact with the charging pins. Remove the tape when you need to re charge.

True but the batteries can easily fall out because the lock tab won’t engage.
The friction fit turned 180 is not that tight but enough to keep them in place.
What ever works for you is the best.

The batteries n my husbands M2 do discharge properly when not engaged in the hub or drone.
2021-4-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

It's the same for my Mini One. The batteries do not self-discharge, whether in the charging hub or the drone, even when undisturbed for a week or more. All the latest updates have been applied.
2021-4-7
Use props
Live My Journey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178806 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 4-7 21:27
It's the same for my Mini One. The batteries do not self-discharge, whether in the charging hub or the drone, even when undisturbed for a week or more. All the latest updates have been applied.

The mini 1 batteries are of the Li-Ion type. Although they are technically intelligent batteries they do not have the self discharging facility built in at all.
2021-4-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Live My Journey Posted at 4-7 21:40
The mini 1 batteries are of the Li-Ion type. Although they are technically intelligent batteries they do not have the self discharging facility built in at all.

I can't help feeling it's a drawback.  My older drones ( Mavic Pro Platinum and Phantom 4) both had the self-discharge feature.
2021-4-7
Use props
Live My Journey
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 4-7 22:36
I can't help feeling it's a drawback.  My older drones ( Mavic Pro Platinum and Phantom 4) both had the self-discharge feature.

Of course it's a drawback. Although with li ion batteries it's not as critical to have them stored at limited charge as it is with LiPo batteries of other drones. Refer to your manual for how to best take care of them.
2021-4-7
Use props
Live My Journey
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

steamship Posted at 4-6 03:30
Just watched your video on YouTube last night, and have been experiencing the same issue. A complete newbie to the drone scene as I've only had the mini 2 since the start of February, and only managed 14 short flights during the month. All three batteries were last fully charged at the end of February and I haven't managed to get out since. Having read various threads about battery charging/discharging, I decided to charge all three again in the hope of getting out.

All three showed three LEDs when inserted into the hub. The first battery was charging for 90 minutes before I pulled it out, as it shouldn't take 90 minutes to top it up. The next battery to charge only took 10 minutes and the next battery took 30 minutes. All three were bought as part of the fly more bundle and all had only been fully charged a total of three times previously.

If you fly quite frequently and didn't leave the batteries fully charged for long periods of time they should be fine. Just for the future Maine that they will not discharge safely when stored in the hub or drone.
Theoretically when they've reached the safe treshold of 72% the natural discharge rate should kick in and discharge them very slowly. Next time you charge them observe if they behave like this to make sure they are not damaged.
2021-4-7
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 4-7 13:05
True but the batteries can easily fall out because the lock tab won’t engage.
The friction fit turned 180 is not that tight but enough to keep them in place.
What ever works for you is the best.

How do you get your batteries in the Hub turned around?

For me, they are right and jam when they get 50% of the way in.. I am sure I could force them but they are clarly not ment to go in like this.

I just took a closer look and there a ridge along the length of each bay in the dock and a slot in the battery which it fits in.

So if you put the battery around the wrong way, it simply can't go in without doing damage.

As for the discharge feature.. I have had my batteries in the hub for weeks and there is no sign of discharge.. I took them out at the weekend and left them for a few days. Today I checked them and only have 3 LEDs so they have clearly discharged.

So for me, this confirms what DJI says.. If left in the Drone or Hub they do not discharge...

2021-4-8
Use props
Jevo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

If you are unsure and want to discharge your batteries slightly use the power pack to charge something such as your phone. As each battery gets down to 3 lights remove it.
Charge them back up before next time you are going to fly.
2021-4-8
Use props
Amoxitine
lvl.2
Flight distance : 323586 ft
United Kingdom

My three Mini 2 batteries when not in the hub or drone appear to do the 1st day discharge (from 100% to 96%) but are then not discharging any more and after 5 days when they should then be at 72% as stated in the manual, they are still at 96% so something is definitely not right with my 3 batteries, especially if the DJI manual is stating that they should discharge to 72% at day 5.
2021-4-11
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4297572 ft
Denmark

Live My Journey Posted at 3-29 14:48
You are missing the point. The batteries feature self discharge feature. This is suppressed by batteries being left in the hub. This is not a feature but a fault. There is no mention of this in the manual of the drone or the hub itself. On the contrary it says the betteties will self discharge to 72% within 5 days if the charging. Most people would assume this will happen as advertised and have their batteries damaged over time by leaving them fully charged.

Why should a Battery, as the type in DJI, be destroyed over time, by not being discharged? Can you show me just one serious documentation on that fact?
2021-4-11
Use props
Live My Journey
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ebea Posted at 4-11 08:52
Why should a Battery, as the type in DJI, be destroyed over time, by not being discharged? Can you show me just one serious documentation on that fact?

You mistake me for someone who gives a tiny rats behind if you break your batteries for a lack of scientific documentation you expect me to provide
2021-4-11
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Why should a Battery, as the type in DJI, be destroyed over time, by not being discharged? Can you show me just one serious documentation on that fact?

Anyone who has owned LiPo batteries knows that this is a thing. I have a stock of LiPos for various drones and planes... and all have been ruined by leaving them fully charged.

Dont take a chance.. listen to what people who have experience with this technology are telling you.. even if they are wrong.. so what? Better safe than sorry.
2021-4-11
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Because LiPos (the kind of batteries drones use due to it's performance per weight) mut be stored at nominal voltage, wich is 3.7v per cell.

If you store them at 100% for long periods (days/weeks/months) the cells will degrade and the batt will be unusable, there's a ton of info on the net.
2021-4-11
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

Just scroll down to care and storage. Unlike mini 1, mini 2 has LiPo batteries, so the article applies. Unfortunately this also applies:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=220657

PS: In total I personally lost 3 MA batteries, because I had no way of discharging them apart from flying, and their auto discharge was after 10 days. Our "room temperature" being 28 degrees C year around did not help either...
2021-4-11
Use props
Shivaess
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32090 ft
United States

Currently investigating the same issue. Thanks for asking!
2021-4-11
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jweaver Posted at 4-8 06:18
How do you get your batteries in the Hub turned around?

For me, they are right and jam when they get 50% of the way in.. I am sure I could force them but they are clarly not ment to go in like this.

It’s a friction fit for sure but not crazy tight.
If you are concerned with this there is another thread regarding storing the batteries in the hub using 3D printed part or wooden dowel and rubber bands, one of them should suit your needs.

2021-4-11
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

CemAygun Posted at 4-11 13:00
https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

Just scroll down to care and storage. Unlike mini 1, mini 2 has LiPo batteries, so the article applies. Unfortunately this also applies:

What are you trying to tell with these two Links. For me, it sonly shows, that you know very little about batteries, and caharging and handling ofthese.
2021-4-11
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

jweaver Posted at 4-11 09:17
Anyone who has owned LiPo batteries knows that this is a thing. I have a stock of LiPos for various drones and planes... and all have been ruined by leaving them fully charged.

Dont take a chance.. listen to what people who have experience with this technology are telling you.. even if they are wrong.. so what? Better safe than sorry.

I asked for just one single serious documentations, and still nothing has been delivered.
2021-4-11
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

Live My Journey Posted at 4-11 09:02
You mistake me for someone who gives a tiny rats behind if you break your batteries for a lack of scientific documentation you expect me to provide

I just asked you, for documentations for what you write. Do not mistakenly, write things which you actually don't know are correct. Other people who read what you wrote first, could actually think that it might be correct. And it's not correct. A LiPo battery can lay for very long time, without damage. I think, that most of these (if any) cases people tell about, are because of wrong handling (read where they store the Battery) of the Batteries.
2021-4-11
Use props
Live My Journey
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ebea Posted at 4-11 23:49
I just asked you, for documentations for what you write. Do not mistakenly, write things which you actually don't know are correct. Other people who read what you wrote first, could actually think that it might be correct. And it's not correct. A LiPo battery can lay for very long time, without damage. I think, that most of these (if any) cases people tell about, are because of wrong handling (read where they store the Battery) of the Batteries.

1. Do your own research.
2. Your claim is an absolute nonsense and 2 minutes of googleing will prove it.
3. Self discharging is a measure that a manufacturer built in due to LiPo batteries suffereig from catastrophic anode/cathode oxidation & electrolyte decomposition.
Now go and impress your family with your ignorance.
2021-4-11
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ebea Posted at 4-11 23:43
I asked for just one single serious documentations, and still nothing has been delivered.

Not sure why you think we are obligated to provide you with documented evidence... If you dobut this, do your own research and experiments.

People are just trying to help others with some real world experiece so save you a costly mistake.

This isnt a religion or cult.. No-one is trying ot get you to believe anything.. Its just a warning that not handling LiPo batteries carefully can be very expensive (and even dangerous).

I have personally lost £100s in batteries by leaving them at 100% charge as they are now swolen and/or won't take a charge and I wish I knew what I know now, when I got into RC flying some years ago...

But if you don't believe that this is a thing, please by all means ignore all of this and treat your batteries how you want. And hopefully you won't be affected by the common side effects of mistreating LiPO batteries...

But I have to say, you have a terrible attitude, and I am surprised you think you can get support and help by taking the way that you do to people..

So good luck, but you arn't going to be getting much more help from anyone until you tone it down.
2021-4-12
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

jweaver Posted at 4-12 00:23
Not sure why you think we are obligated to provide you with documented evidence... If you dobut this, do your own research and experiments.

People are just trying to help others with some real world experiece so save you a costly mistake.

I rely in facts, also when it comes to battery, as in this case. And when people, begin to spread out histories, about Batteries like these used in this type of Drone (LiPo), which are not correct, it has to be stopped, as it can lead to, that other people who knows nothing about Batteries, actually think it's correct.

But it's NOT correct. Lithium ion, or Lithium ion Polymer Batteries, can lay charged without any damages, for a very long time. A good example, are those millions of Electrically Bicycles sold world wide, which mostly all, are supplied with LiPo Batteries. I have never heard about one bicycle, which has damaged the battery, by stay and not being used, for long periods. LiPo Batteries, are used, mostly because of their lower weight (thats why DJI use them in Drones).

So stories, like this you try to spread further out, are like the feather, which became to 5 Chickens.
2021-4-12
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

Live My Journey Posted at 4-11 23:56
1. Do your own research.
2. Your claim is an absolute nonsense and 2 minutes of googleing will prove it.
3. Self discharging is a measure that a manufacturer built in due to LiPo batteries suffereig from catastrophic anode/cathode oxidation & electrolyte decomposition.

Your answer here, just tell me, what I actually already knew from your start thread, that you do know very little about Lithium Battery types.
But stop spreading, your misinformation, as it's not correct what you try to postulate.
I have worked with batteries, and battery packages and bigger battery systems, for more than 25 years, and I don't have the need for search of information.
2021-4-12
Use props
Live My Journey
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ebea Posted at 4-12 01:36
Your answer here, just tell me, what I actually already knew from your start thread, that you do know very little about Lithium Battery types.
But stop spreading, your misinformation, as it's not correct what you try to postulate.
I have worked with batteries, and battery packages and bigger battery systems, for more than 25 years, and I don't have the need for search of information.

Anyone with any sense and knowledge of interest trolls has already sussed you out.
At this point you can say you have singlehandedly invented LiPo batteries and you manufacture them for DJI. This thread is on whether the batteries made for Mini 2 are self discharging when idle. The answer from DJI is they don't when stored in the hub. The other users find that same thing doesn't when stored in the aircraft. Some people claim the auto discharging is not working as per manual at all. The fact is that you have to care for the battery as it is described in the manufacturers manual or forfeit your warranty.
2021-4-12
Use props
Robert Prideaux
lvl.1

South Africa

Ibea , I think youre confusing yourself and everybody else on this thread. Lithium Ion and Lithium polymer are two different batteries . Electric bicycles use Lithium Ion and not LiPo batteries . Lipo's cannot be stored fully charged (well they can if you dont care about them)  whereas Lithium Ion's can
2021-4-12
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

Live My Journey Posted at 4-12 01:43
Anyone with any sense and knowledge of interest trolls has already sussed you out.
At this point you can say you have singlehandedly invented LiPo batteries and you manufacture them for DJI. This thread is on whether the batteries made for Mini 2 are self discharging when idle. The answer from DJI is they don't when stored in the hub. The other users find that same thing doesn't when stored in the aircraft. Some people claim the auto discharging is not working as per manual at all. The fact is that you have to care for the battery as it is described in the manufacturers manual or forfeit your warranty.

I just replied to your answer at (3-29 14:48), where you claimed the batteries would be destroied over time. And I asked for a serious documentation for that. But so far, I have not seen anything from you, other than meaninless, and unpleasant words.
I think my last answer in this thread, will be, that people who claim that the Earth is flat, has not lived in vain. You seems to be one of these!
2021-4-12
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

Robert Prideaux Posted at 4-12 02:05
Ibea , I think youre confusing yourself and everybody else on this thread. Lithium Ion and Lithium polymer are two different batteries . Electric bicycles use Lithium Ion and not LiPo batteries . Lipo's cannot be stored fully charged (well they can if you dont care about them)  whereas Lithium Ion's can

I think you are a little bit confused (or much). Actually they are of same type (Lithium) where the one fills are replaced with a Polymer based fill (liquid, or in solid form), now called LiPo. The reason for that, are that they can be made more compact, and weight less (good for Drone use) ;-)
2021-4-12
Use props
Live My Journey
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ebea Posted at 4-12 03:01
I just replied to your answer at (3-29 14:48), where you claimed the batteries would be destroied over time. And I asked for a serious documentation for that. But so far, I have not seen anything from you, other than meaninless, and unpleasant words.
I think my last answer in this thread, will be, that people who claim that the Earth is flat, has not lived in vain. You seems to be one of these!
You demanded serious documentation like I had to prove anything to you. I made this information available for intelligent people to use as they please. If someone feels that they don't know enough about LiPo batteries to judge they are free to do their own research. If you choose to leave your batteries fully charged in the hub or aircraft you have my blessing.
2021-4-12
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 3-29 18:55
None of the Mavic batteries when left on the charger will automatically discharge. True for other models also. I always leave one MA2 battery attached just to stop the automatic discharge.

If you don't like the helpful suggestion I posted, don't use it.

I have MA2 batteries on charger and they still discharge to 75% three lights after a few days.
Keeping on charger does not stop them from discharging.
He does have a point. Are we ruining our batteries because my mini 2 batteries don't discharge in hub either and makes no sense to not store them in hub as most cases are designed to hold the main batteries in hub.
It also looks like they will not be making Mini2 Smart Controller Compatible.
The MavicAir2 got update for Smart Controller 148 days later it's now 156 days after release of Mini2.
I think purchasing the Smart Controller for the MA2 and the Mini2 was a mistake as it is only good for my MA2.
I was hoping to be able to just bring the 2 drones with SC for 1 hour of flight in a tiny package, Oh well sometimes you lose.

2021-4-12
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DroneJunkieQc Posted at 4-12 04:52
I have MA2 batteries on charger and they still discharge to 75% three lights after a few days.
Keeping on charger does not stop them from discharging.
He does have a point. Are we ruining our batteries because my mini 2 batteries don't discharge in hub either and makes no sense to not store them in hub as most cases are designed to hold the main batteries in hub.

So this is what DJI need to investigate as this is NOT the behavour I or many are seeing

My batteries sat in the hub for well over a week and there was no sign of a discharge.

At first I thought it was because I was checking the voltage every few days.. So I just left it alone for well over a week and the battery in my Mini2 and the 2 in the HUB still showed 4 LEDs

Once I took them out and left them alone for a further week, I found they are now showing 3 LEDs.

So there is something going on here which no-one fully understands. And DJI need to clarify the situation.

One thing which bothers me about all this, is that I got my Mini2 recently from damaged box stock (with significant discount).. It was brand new, but its early in temrs of manufacturing date. This means that it came with really early firmware.. Yet in all of my setup, its never updated the Firmware in the batteries.. So it does make me wonder if this behavour is based on Battery firmware and some of us have different versions than others?

2021-4-12
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

jweaver Posted at 4-12 05:37
So this is what DJI need to investigate as this is NOT the behavour I or many are seeing

My batteries sat in the hub for well over a week and there was no sign of a discharge.

It could be.
2021-4-12
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

So to store the batteries they should be discharged to at least 70 or 80% or so? Gonna be a bummer for me since I use my drone unplanned and right after work while there's still some light. Usually I just pick it up and go to the pier or field after work so not really time to top off. Means I'll fly less then (with battery being less than 100% at start) if the batteries supposedly will be at 75% charge.
If that what it takes to keep my batteries alive longer than so be it. Not worth to spend $50 after every 4-5 months if the batteries go dead.
2021-4-12
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

doglaboi Posted at 4-12 09:30
So to store the batteries they should be discharged to at least 70 or 80% or so? Gonna be a bummer for me since I use my drone unplanned and right after work while there's still some light. Usually I just pick it up and go to the pier or field after work so not really time to top off. Means I'll fly less then (with battery being less than 100% at start) if the batteries supposedly will be at 75% charge.
If that what it takes to keep my batteries alive longer than so be it. Not worth to spend $50 after every 4-5 months if the batteries go dead.

At 70% to 80% charge when start flying, you may get about 5-7 min less flying, but as someone said in another blog, your batteries would last so much longer if not charged fully every time.
2021-4-12
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneJunkieQc Posted at 4-12 04:52
I have MA2 batteries on charger and they still discharge to 75% three lights after a few days.
Keeping on charger does not stop them from discharging.

Then your batteries or charger are different from mine.  None of my MA2 batteries will discharge while on the charger, no matter the length of time.
2021-4-12
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

jweaver Posted at 4-12 05:37

DJI officially admitted that the Mini 2 batteries can't perform the auto discharge function if they are inserted to the aircraft or the hub. So you need to either leave them outside or manually discharge.
2021-4-12
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

GUYS: You still are not listening (or reading). My Mini 2 battery will NOT self discharge regardless of where it is. That is the real issue. Right now it has sat on the shelf by itself for over a week now and when I just put it into the drone, it showed all 4 lights.
2021-4-12
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules