Not able to exceed 500-600m range
4102 20 2021-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sascha_Engel
lvl.1
Israel

Dear DJI Team & users,

First of all: Job well done! As a camera man, I only entered the drone world now, starting my journey in aerial photography with the Mini2.
You did an awesome job on this little technical wonder! Just a 10 years ago, a tool like this for such a low price in this quality was unthinkable!

Unfortunately, I am having an issue with mine:
I flew it about 10 times so far, at various different locations: urban areas, open fields, at the sea with anything from 5 Satellites up to 25 Satellites.

But I always lose connection after 500-600m maximum distance.
This strikes me odd, since the drone's max. distance is 10K.

Of course, I keep pointing the controller in the direction of the Drone as well as putting the phone into Flight Mode.

I could only think of two reasons:

1.) Here in Israel, due to military restrictions, the Drone cannot be flown in DualBand mode, but only in the 2,4Ghz settings.

2.) I do indeed have a faulty unit. But I would like to make sure, that is the case, before going through the hustle of exchanging the unit, which can be a hustle here, due to bad custromer service.

Thanx for your thoughts!

Best,

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN
2021-3-28
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Being only able to use 2.4GHz is a big disadvantage because this frequency is heavily polluted in populated areas.
2021-3-28
Use props
Sascha_Engel
lvl.1
Israel

Tuxtard Posted at 3-28 10:01
Being only able to use 2.4GHz is a big disadvantage because this frequency is heavily polluted in populated areas.

Yes, that is what I was afraid of and seemed to be the most logical explanation for the short distance.
Thank you!

Best,

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN
2021-3-28
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Sascha, there is nothing wrong with your mini2 ,  in heavy environment the range is normal and it's enough for VLOS.
You can get more output power by using a modified app.
2021-3-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Sascha_Engel. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. Please check whether the antennas are positioned in relation to the aircraft as shown below. This is where the signal between the aircraft and remote is most reliable. Given that, please be advised that due to the restriction implemented by policies and regulations, the 5.8 GHz frequency band is automatically banned in Israel.
2021-3-28
Use props
Sascha_Engel
lvl.1
Israel

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-28 23:20
Hi, Sascha_Engel. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. Please check whether the antennas are positioned in relation to the aircraft as shown below. This is where the signal between the aircraft and remote is most reliable. Given that, please be advised that due to the restriction implemented by policies and regulations, the 5.8 GHz frequency band is automatically banned in Israel.
[view_image]

Yes, that was my first guess: The lack of Dual Band.
And yes, I do, of course, the remote in the ideal direction.

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN
2021-3-29
Use props
Sascha_Engel
lvl.1
Israel

dji_MODDER Posted at 3-28 22:11
Sascha, there is nothing wrong with your mini2 ,  in heavy environment the range is normal and it's enough for VLOS.
You can get more output power by using a modified app.

Hi,

Could you elaborate on the modified app suggestion?
not sure, what you are talking about.

Best,

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN
2021-3-29
Use props
vkondra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1177257 ft
Israel

Buy antenna range extender, like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001847815386.html
I had same limit of about 600m without this extender, now fly 2km with no signal drop
2021-3-29
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Sascha_Engel Posted at 3-29 00:55
Hi,

Could you elaborate on the modified app suggestion?

Already did, see you PM, right above menu, messages, PMs
2021-3-29
Use props
Sascha_Engel
lvl.1
Israel

Thanx for all the good advice!

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN
2021-3-29
Use props
Rock3nheim
lvl.1

Switzerland

Hey People^^

Hey People ^^

I close the previous speaker times:
"Could you elaborate on the modified app suggestion?
nut sure, what you are talking about. "
That would also interest me very much.

thx
2021-3-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Sascha_Engel Posted at 3-29 00:54
Yes, that was my first guess: The lack of Dual Band.
And yes, I do, of course, the remote in the ideal direction.

Got it but just in case, below is a short video showcasing some best practices that you can check out and see if that could improve your maximum flight distance.

NOTE: Strictly follow the rules and regulations imposed in your location when flying your drone.
2021-3-29
Use props
fans4425e44d
New

Italy

Unfortunately I got the same problem.
This is not my first MAvic and I think the 6 Km range (CE) is just marketing.
My Pro2 , can fly around 5/6 Km without any problem, it works great.
Then I got my first Mavic Mini and the range was about 2/300 meters without any antenna extender.
I sold my Mavic Mini, to buy the Mini 2 just because of the 6 Km range ( yesterday).
I can understand that 6 Km is sure for marketing, but I also have th 500 m limit then I lose the the signal I can just wait it starts RTH.
I was so disappointed, I was flying in 3 different places and the closest building/antenna/electrical wire was at least 30 km.
Please don't come up with the "best practice" for pointing the antenna, antenna was toward drone and it was a plain field without any kind of obstacles.
2021-4-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sascha_Engel Posted at 3-29 02:19
Thanx for all the good advice!

In a country with a dense population as Israel, there it probably too much WifI in the area you are flying. Try using your phone to check out the nearby sources, you will probably be surprised at how many there are, and each one is competing with the signal to/from your drone.
2021-4-26
Use props
vkondra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1177257 ft
Israel

dji_MODDER Posted at 3-29 02:11
Already did, see you PM, right above menu, messages, PMs

Could you please send modified app info to me as well?
2021-4-26
Use props
BaliSkies
lvl.3

Australia

fans4425e44d Posted at 4-26 11:31
Unfortunately I got the same problem.
This is not my first MAvic and I think the 6 Km range (CE) is just marketing.
My Pro2 , can fly around 5/6 Km without any problem, it works great.

Ummm, no. The 6km range is not "just marketing" as you suggest. I quite easily fly my Mini 2 to 6 km, and it WOULD fly further, but I have to bring it home due to battery getting low..

Perhaps the issues  in your case, it may be user error, no?
2021-4-27
Use props
whiteghost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1479705 ft
United Kingdom

At first only got 500 to 600mtr, so after DJI help "It was my brand new iPad mini 5 or my S21 ultra!!"  
I went on top of a hill with NO obstructions and NO wifi etc!  Clear view for over say fifty miles!  
With my ipad mini and 21 Ultra and I got an amazing 1046mtrs  WAYYY

Sometimes I get to 600 or 700 and loose connection I turn the drone around a few times and the signal comes back?
With all my other DJI drones never lost connection or worried about doing so?  With this one its a panic every flight in case it just goes!!
2021-4-28
Use props
fans4425e44d
New

Italy

BaliSkies Posted at 4-27 20:16
Ummm, no. The 6km range is not "just marketing" as you suggest. I quite easily fly my Mini 2 to 6 km, and it WOULD fly further, but I have to bring it home due to battery getting low..

Perhaps the issues  in your case, it may be user error, no?

can you please mention any potential "user error"?
Can you also please explain why the same faulty user with a Mavic 2 Pro,
same phone, same area, becomes too bad flying a drone, just according
to the used drone?
Sorry, I get lost.
2021-4-29
Use props
fans4425e44d
New

Italy

whiteghost Posted at 4-28 10:54
At first only got 500 to 600mtr, so after DJI help "It was my brand new iPad mini 5 or my S21 ultra!!"  
I went on top of a hill with NO obstructions and NO wifi etc!  Clear view for over say fifty miles!  
With my ipad mini and 21 Ultra and I got an amazing 1046mtrs  WAYYY

The commenter above you, suggests mine is just an "user error", but at least someone else has the same problems.
For sure even 1046 m makes me think even more this drone can unfortunately go further than let's suppose 1 km.

2021-4-29
Use props
whiteghost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1479705 ft
United Kingdom

Its not user error!  I.ve had a Phantom, mavic pro and now the mini2!
Been flying for years and never and I mean never had a problem or a crash! "Touch wood"
Yet as soon as you have a problem with a new drone it is either your faulty phone, faulty tablet, not holding the Fantastic Ocu sync remote properly??

If the direction of the remote is so important then Ocu sync is not so great?  Quote " OcuSync 2.0 is DJI's powerful image transmission system"

I could point my mavic and Phantom remote anywhere and NO problems!

So I find the problem has to be the drone and Ocu sync !!
2021-4-29
Use props
james brancato
New

Croatia

Brand new out of the box Mini2 SE, 500-525 meters, that's it.   Open field, clear skies. Tried flight level 30m, 50m and 80m in 3 different directions over empty plowed farm land.  No power lines, cell towers, wifi.
I dont need 6-10km but 500 meters seems like either marketing on the box or this thing is going to get lost if i push it.   Not being able to use it beyond 500 meter is a major concern.   There's got to be a setting somewhere that's being missed to release a set limit?
2023-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules