Plethora of issues, PLEASE help!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

Purchased a used Phantom 2 last week from a fellow that really took care of the quad.  It's been upgraded with FPV, long range antenna, etc.  It flies great!  But I'm having a few issues.  Because of me wanting to pinch some pennies in the hobby, I purchased a used H3-3D gimbal.  Installed it with no problems, plugged in the gray ribbon cable, powered on the quad, and it was having a hell of a time initializing.  It was going back and forth, left and right, and yawing at an extreme pace.  Meaning, it was doing all of those things rather quickly.  AKA, it wasn't normal.  I figure he sold me a crap gimbal.  I got a hold of him, and he said to calibrate it or update the firmware.  So, for going on 3 days now, I've been trying to hook up my Phantom 2 (Version 1) to both my PC and my MAC.  Yup, 3 solid days.  Getting the "Please connect controller" error.  I've done the correct steps, installing the driver first, following the power up prompt on both the quad and the controller, install the assistant software, and launch.  Still, nothing.  So, I open up the shell to see if the connection came loose or something, and it's still solidly connected.  Do you think perhaps the USB connector has gone bad?  It's cheap and easy enough to replace to give it a try.  Also, back to the gimbal, when I opened up the shell, I notice that this has a standard Phantom Flight Controller.  The copter seller had told me to unlock NAZA-M, to use the assistant software.  But this is a normal Phantom Flight Controller, doesn't say NAZA-M on it.  Would this be why also the gimbal is acting up?  Sorry for all this newbie questions, but I've searched high and low for these specific issues and can't find anything!  Thanks in advance!

Ben
2015-7-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Hi Ben, First question I have is did you have a go pro in the gimbal when you powered it up?
It could be a bad usb connector, not sure why else you can not get connected if you are doing everything right as you say.
P2 does use Naza-M but it might be labeled different because it was bundled with the P2.
It is true that you unlock the Naza-M features through the assistant software.
2015-7-14
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Be sure if you are using the Windows version that you downloaded and installed the Windows driver first. If not it won't set the USB connection or the Phantom. The MAC version is different software.
2015-7-14
Use props
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

Yes, the GoPro was attached to the gimbal.  It would also screech when trying to violently initialize.  The mounting plate is bent, among other things, so the gimbal issue I'll hash out with the original owner.  As for the software, it is the windows version, and I did install it first with both the quad and controller on.  What leads me to believe it's not seeing the quad is that not only did I successfully get the RC software running, but  when the driver software was done doing it's thing for the phantom, it prompted me saying that there were no device to be updated.  I've got the part on order hoping it's just the usb connection.  Thanks for the replies fellas!

Ben
2015-7-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Yeah if the gimbal mounting plate was damaged then there is a good chance your gimbal is damaged and that is why it behaved as it did. Hopefully the usb connector will solve your other issue.
2015-7-15
Use props
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

Thank ya sir!  I ordered a brand new H3-3D the other night.  Lesson learned.  Ironically this is the first time in 10 years I got screwed over on eBay.  Should have known something was up when the gimbal that was sold to me wasn't "Phantom 2 only".  Whoops!

Ben
2015-7-15
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

ALL USB CABLES ARE NOT THE SAME!

Some only have 2 wires - for charging stuff.

Others have all 4 wires - for programming AND charging stuff.

10:1 you have a cheap USB charge only cable.  go find a real one and bet you go right  in with assistant.
2015-7-15
Use props
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

I've used the one that came with the phantom, and a few others that were laying around the house.  Nothin'

Ben
2015-7-15
Use props
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

Well, sometimes things just physically don't work!  AKA, opened her up to replace the USB connector and voila, the cable was indeed broken.  Not only broken, but it looked like it was slashed with a hobby knife or something!  Previous owner did a lot of upgrades to the bird, probably a small little accident.  Connected to my PC just fine, upgraded firmware, turned on NAZA-M mode from phantom mode, works like a charm!  In fact, here's a short film I did yesterday from a couple days footage.  Thanks for the help everyone!

Ben
2015-7-20
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Glad you were able to fix the USB. Nice video and nice flying. Enjoy your quad!
2015-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules