Mexico Customs
1396 11 2021-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mason Piscitelli
lvl.1
Flight distance : 348560 ft
United States

I will be going to Cancun in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has recently passed through Cancun (CUN/MMUN) airport customs with their drone. The resort I am staying at has no problems as I contacted them, but I want to make sure customs won't have a problem either. I have been through both T3 and T4 many times, but have no experience with bringing a drone through. I have been searching everywhere and most threads are outdated in this subject.
2021-3-29
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Haven't flown into Mexico in the last year but in the past it was the random Red and Green light system on weather are not to open your luggage  for inspection. It all goes through x-ray.(you may already know this)
Have you thought about mailing/shipping it to yourself at the resort?
Just located this:

https://uavsystemsinternational. ... 20permit%20is%20not,permits%20in%20the%20Mexican%20airspace.
2021-3-29
Use props
Mason Piscitelli
lvl.1
United States

3Recon Posted at 3-29 09:35
Haven't flown into Mexico in the last year but in the past it was the random Red and Green light system on weather are not to open your luggage  for inspection. It all goes through x-ray.(you may already know this)
Have you thought about mailing/shipping it to yourself at the resort?
Just located this:

I remember that traffic light system in the past and when you get red they just glance especially if you have a lot of stuff. I actually just got a message back from the resort giving me authorization so that might be enough in itself.

Worst case, they charge me a customs tax - supposedly that is only for "brand new" items though.

I leave in couple of weeks, so I will update this topic when I get back with more info.
2021-3-29
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Mason Piscitelli Posted at 3-29 09:40
I remember that traffic light system in the past and when you get red they just glance especially if you have a lot of stuff. I actually just got a message back from the resort giving me authorization so that might be enough in itself.

Worst case, they charge me a customs tax - supposedly that is only for "brand new" items though.

Sounds like the resort is trying to assist you. Found another link for you. A lot of the rules are similar internationally flying over monuments

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-mexico

Good luck and enjoy
2021-3-29
Use props
ting-ting
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5871467 ft
  • >>>
United States

Didn't have any problems when I was there last time, just make sure  you put your drone and batteries in your carry on luggage
2021-3-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mason Piscitelli. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who visited Cancun in Mexico can give out there experiences in bringing there DJI drones. For reference, kindly please read through your airline's battery transportation regulations when traveling with LiPo batteries and I will post a link where in you can learn about regulations for your specific airline ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/airlines ). Thank you and please stay safe always.
2021-3-29
Use props
Mason Piscitelli
lvl.1
United States

Sorry for not updating this thread.

I didn’t bring the drone; there was actually a problem with it a few days before I left and I had to replace it - bummer.

But…for those curious, customs and border protection there does not care and they completely gotten rid of the Red/Green light system in T3. So both T3 and T4 no longer have this system.

If you are traveling there, go ahead and bring it no worries. Make sure to contact your resort first to double check and be sure to be courteous.

I am planning on bringing the Air 2S with me in July when I go back.
2021-5-29
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

Thanks for sharing
2021-5-29
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Jersey

I always share the drone parts between my wife and myself so it is obviously incomplete. Batteries, props, controller with wife, drone body with me.
Confiscating the drone becomes pointless if it cannot be flown. This applies more to countries where the confiscation is a euphemism for official theft.
2021-5-29
Use props
djiuser_EUYC4BvJymvc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 756939 ft
United States

I've been to Playa Del Carmen twice in the past 2 months and no issues at all with a drone.  Had it in my carry on bag.
2021-6-1
Use props
Mason Piscitelli
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_EUYC4BvJymvc Posted at 6-1 14:13
I've been to Playa Del Carmen twice in the past 2 months and no issues at all with a drone.  Had it in my carry on bag.

Thanks for sharing that!
2021-6-1
Use props
CoachTooz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 224813 ft
United States

Thank you for this thread. I came here for this exact question. I have  Mavic 3 and really wanted to take it in my carryon to Cancun this weekend. I'm leaning on the safe side of things, but its really tempting.
2022-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules