Random Shut Off While Recording on Car Dash
736 9 2021-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AbrahamWalker
lvl.1

United States

For some odd reason, my pocket 2 will turn off while recording when I have my camera attached to my dash inside my car. What's strange about this issue is that I have an external battery rig and sometimes run my pocket 2 for an hour or two recording 4k outside and have no challenges whatsoever.

Do you think it has to do with the heat on the car dash?

I'm really stumped by this issue because my camera stays powered on for all of my other projects.

Has this occurred to you? If so, what were you doing with the camera?
2021-3-29
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

Same issue with me too have tried it 2 times making hyperlapses mounted on front screen (inside the car with AC ON yet it shuts giving warning of overheating.
2021-3-29
Use props
AbrahamWalker
lvl.1

United States

Ranjan Posted at 3-29 09:14
Same issue with me too have tried it 2 times making hyperlapses mounted on front screen (inside the car with AC ON yet it shuts giving warning of overheating.

This is going to sound strange but I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Thanks for the quick reply. Now I know that I can't place my camera on the dash for any length of time.

To test this theory, I've even held my camera in my hand while I'm driving and record for an extended period of time. The camera never shuts off.
2021-3-29
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

AbrahamWalker Posted at 3-29 09:20
This is going to sound strange but I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Thanks for the quick reply. Now I know that I can't place my camera on the dash for any length of time.

To test this theory, I've even held my camera in my hand while I'm driving and record for an extended period of time. The camera never shuts off.

Could it be the heat generated by the sun hitting it, can you mount it high up where the sun can’t hit it on the sun visor.
2021-3-29
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

AlanHd Posted at 3-29 13:41
Could it be the heat generated by the sun hitting it, can you mount it high up where the sun can’t hit it on the sun visor.

I thought so need to test on a drive where sun is behind me.
The other theory is that car vibration makes the gimbal motors work harder & there could be inbuilt time limit how long can P2 be in this hard working condition.
2021-3-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AbrahamWalker. I am sorry to know about what happened to your DJI Pocket 2 and thank you for reaching out. The DJI Pocket 2's operating temperature is at 0° to 40° C ( 32° to 104° F ). In addition, the video bitrate of DJI Pocket 2 can up to 100 Mbps, up to 700MB video files can be generated per minute. It is normal that the unit gets heated when it processes such a large amount of data in a short time. Our engineers had taken this into attention when designing this product, they fully tested it in a condition of long time recording, and confirmed the heat of the handle is within the reasonable range. Thank you.
2021-3-29
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

Probably we will need to add the copper heatsink to keep pocket 2 cooler.
2021-3-30
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 3-29 19:11
I thought so need to test on a drive where sun is behind me.
The other theory is that car vibration makes the gimbal motors work harder & there could be inbuilt time limit how long can P2 be in this hard working condition.

It would be interesting to run a test with it in the sun but the car static to see how long before it shuts down.
2021-3-30
Use props
editron
lvl.1

Bulgaria

AbrahamWalker Posted at 3-29 09:20
This is going to sound strange but I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Thanks for the quick reply. Now I know that I can't place my camera on the dash for any length of time.

Most likely it's overheating. All dash cameras have heat problem because of the direct sunlight and permanent charging. Try different options, 1080p/30, cloudy day, etc...
2021-3-30
Use props
papabri48
lvl.2
United States

If you set the battery saver setting to ON, the camera will not heat up as much.  the heat generated by the camera setting plus the heat from sunlight or whatever on your dash may be too much for it to handle.
2021-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules