Charge both parts of Pocket 2?
5468 17 2021-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BruceBanner
lvl.1
Australia

This might be a really really dumb question, but... to get maximum battery life, do you need to take off the do-it-all handle and charge the handle and the actual DJI Pocket 2 to ensure both things are charged properly? I bought the kit you see, and I just stuck on the handle and always just left it on and charged the handle thinking it would also charge the main Pocket 2 as well, but now I'm thinking maybe not, and i need to pull it off, charge the handle and Pocket 2 separately?
2021-3-29
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

Once the do-it-all handle is attached it works as one unit & charges the main unit via its Usb_c port so you only need to charge that, if you use wireless mike then that needs to be charged too that is why the supplied cable has 2 cables at the end
2021-3-29
Use props
BruceBanner
lvl.1
Australia

Ranjan Posted at 3-29 19:14
Once the do-it-all handle is attached it works as one unit & charges the main unit via its Usb_c port so you only need to charge that, if you use wireless mike then that needs to be charged too that is why the supplied cable has 2 cables at the end

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, I just wanted to check because sometimes I have been a little unimpressed with the battery life and wondered if perhaps I was not wholly charging both parts properly.
2021-3-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there BruceBanner. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. Kindly please refer to Ranjan's post on post #2. In addition, the charging time of the DJI Pocket 2 is at 73 minutes when using a 5V/2A USB adapter. Thank you.
2021-3-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Err... how can you charge the do-it-all handle when it has no battery???  It takes its power from the main unit.  I'm surprised even DJI Stephen didn't point out that rather important fact.  
2021-3-30
Use props
BruceBanner
lvl.1
Australia

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-30 01:29
Err... how can you charge the do-it-all handle when it has no battery???  It takes its power from the main unit.  I'm surprised even DJI Stephen didn't point out that rather important fact.

Ah is that right? I actually thought it had an internal battery of its own and assisted with overall battery life of the Pocket 2, if not that's pretty lame lol. I mean I bought the kit because I knew I really needed the mic, I just assumed the 'do-it-all' would have some juice too! Apparently not so 'do-it-all'!
2021-3-30
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

No I never said that it has battery inside,
do-it-all handle when attached it works as one unit & draws power from main unit & charges the main unit via its own Usb-c port at the back of do it all hande.
Hope now it is more clear.

So I plug the wireless mike & do it all handle with the cable supplied to charge the pocket 2 main unit & mike.
2021-3-30
Use props
BruceBanner
lvl.1
Australia

Ranjan Posted at 3-30 09:23
No I never said that it has battery inside,
do-it-all handle when attached it works as one unit & draws power from main unit & charges the main unit via its own Usb-c port at the back of do it all hande.
Hope now it is more clear.

So what is the do-it-all handle actually doing then? Is it just something necessary for using the Mic part with? If I intend to do some project without sound I should probably leave the do-it-all handle alone at home? I intend to get maximum battery life out of the P2 so I am a bit curious about approaches to that (even down to file settings etc, should probably make a different post about it).
2021-3-30
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

BruceBanner Posted at 3-30 11:32
So what is the do-it-all handle actually doing then? Is it just something necessary for using the Mic part with? If I intend to do some project without sound I should probably leave the do-it-all handle alone at home? I intend to get maximum battery life out of the P2 so I am a bit curious about approaches to that (even down to file settings etc, should probably make a different post about it).

As far as I have understood, the functions/properties of the Do-It-All handle are the following (feel free to correct me if I miss something or give false information):
-Enable wireless file transfer and wireless gimbal control with phone using Wi-Fi
-Enable livestreaming when using with phone
-Enable using wireless microphone using Bluetooth
-Enable connecting wired microphone or headphones using the 3,5mm jack for recording, replaying or monitoring audio
-Enable replaying video sounds using a speaker built in the handle
-Enable the chance to attach a tripod
-Enable charging the battery from a different angle, even when using a tripod
-Upgrading ergonomics for better grip

So yeah, pretty much audio stuff, but also some other functions too.

The downside to all of this is, of course, the reduced battery life when not connected to powerbank or external power. So if you don't need extras for audio or networking and want to maximize battery life, it could be beneficial to remove the Do-It-All handle.
2021-3-30
Use props
papabri48
lvl.2
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 3-30 14:09
As far as I have understood, the functions/properties of the Do-It-All handle are the following (feel free to correct me if I miss something or give false information):
-Enable wireless file transfer and wireless gimbal control with phone using Wi-Fi

To add to that, I've attached my P2 to a tripod, say aimed at a bird feeder, and then operate the camera on my cell phone connected Bluetooth to the P2, but not close to scare the birds.  But yes, all that takes battery power.
2021-3-30
Use props
BruceBanner
lvl.1
Australia

HGDC84 Posted at 3-30 14:09

Thanks for that, yeh sometimes its B roll I use it for, audio isn't needed so maybe I do get a wee bit more juice outta the thing without the handle, will give it a go. I'm kinda bummed out actually, here I was thinking the handle assisted with battery life and in fact it's doing to opposite :/
Would it of hurt them to make the handle a teeny bit longer and chucked in a battery to at least assist with offsetting the features it comes along with? :|
2021-3-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

There's a third party seller who offers a battery pack that kind of looks like the DIA handle, and attaches to the bottom of the main unit - but supplying additional power is all that it does.  Note that standard DJI advice is not to charge and record at the same time due to potential overheating issues.  But everyone does it.
2021-3-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

[HGDC84, that was an exellent list of DIA handle functions!]
2021-3-30
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

papabri48@gmail Posted at 3-30 14:27
To add to that, I've attached my P2 to a tripod, say aimed at a bird feeder, and then operate the camera on my cell phone connected Bluetooth to the P2, but not close to scare the birds.  But yes, all that takes battery power.

So what you are saying is that it is possible to remotely operate recording and gimbal movement with bluetooth too, not requiring wifi at all? Did I understand right? I always thought only wifi connection can be used to operate those and bluetooth was only for the wireless microphone.

This could be handy to know, as I would like to remotely control the gimbal and recording without connecting to wifi and/or mobile data.
2021-3-31
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-30 21:56
[HGDC84, that was an exellent list of DIA handle functions!]

Thank you for the compliment, I was just listing the purposes I knew for it
2021-3-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

My understanding is that bluetooth is used initially to set up the wifi handshake but then does nothing more in the app.
2021-3-31
Use props
papabri48
lvl.2
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 3-31 04:22
So what you are saying is that it is possible to remotely operate recording and gimbal movement with bluetooth too, not requiring wifi at all? Did I understand right? I always thought only wifi connection can be used to operate those and bluetooth was only for the wireless microphone.

This could be handy to know, as I would like to remotely control the gimbal and recording without connecting to wifi and/or mobile data.

I was able to set up the camera on a tripod outdoors, and use my cell phone inside - but within Bluetooth range - to operate the camera...shutter, video/still, gimbal etc.  Once you move beyond range - by distance or walls blocking, you lose signal.  You must have the Creator Combo to do this, as the basic camera has no Bluetooth without it.
2021-4-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

papabri48@gmail Posted at 4-8 14:45
I was able to set up the camera on a tripod outdoors, and use my cell phone inside - but within Bluetooth range - to operate the camera...shutter, video/still, gimbal etc.  Once you move beyond range - by distance or walls blocking, you lose signal.  You must have the Creator Combo to do this, as the basic camera has no Bluetooth without it.

Try that again with wifi turned off - you'll find it won't work - camera control and viewing only works via wifi.  If you attempt to link to the Pocket 2 with wifi off but bluetooth on, Mimo app will identify the Pocket 2, but will require you to turn on wifi to establish the connection.  If, during the connection, you turn off bluetooth, the app will still control the camera as it's using wifi.  As I said earlier in the thread, bluetooth helps establish the connection, but wifi does the actual work.
2021-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules