Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Activation Reason
3901 14 2021-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dreamaker99.wowway
lvl.2

United States

Can someone explain to me the reasoning of locking the Pocke 2 when you first get it.  It is Not like a cell phone that could be a security problem. I have been trying to get answers from Dji Tech Support for my questions, but i they do reply back, they give me an off the wall answers no related to my direct question.  Can someone tell me the logic behindthe purpose to activation.
2021-3-30
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

As far as I have read from the official discussion, they say the reason for this mandatory activation is to help them see the status of the device's warranty for service purposes. Some other people outside DJI have stated this to be for preventing pirated products. These two may be related, as they might want to check out if the device to be repaired or replaced is a genuine DJI product.

There also have been statements about DJI wanting to get personal information for commercial and marketing purposes by collecting information from the phone. I personally won't say this is true or false, I just say it is a rising trend on many companies' agendas.

I personally think the activation process is a needless hurdle that harms those who just want to use the product straight out of the box, and possibly find out they don't have the obligatory, compatible device for activating the Pocket 2. There could be other, less intrusive and bothersome ways to check the warranty status.

As this is a constant annoyance to many new Pocket 2 users, and their compatible device list is ridiculously small, I have started to gather people's experiences and test results to see what other devices can be used to activate the Pocket 2.

To see the list of tested phones not mentioned on the official DJI list (or to report your own results after testing your own), see https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=235190

To see a similar list of tested tablets (or to report the results of your own tablet), check out https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=237518

The official DJI list can be found at https://www.dji.com/fi/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo

What gives a bit of solace is that after you have activated the Pocket 2, you can use it without the phone for most functions. Some still require a phone though, such as remote controling the gimbal (without third-party solutions) and possibly livestreaming.
2021-3-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dreamaker99.wowway. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. DJI requires our DJI members to activate their DJI Pocket 2 to maximize the usage of the said DJI camera and to be able to use it properly. No worries, DJI do not have any access to your unit or personal data. Thank you for understanding.
2021-3-30
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-30 21:26
Hello there dreamaker99.wowway. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. DJI requires our DJI members to activate their DJI Pocket 2 to maximize the usage of the said DJI camera and to be able to use it properly. No worries, DJI do not have any access to your unit or personal data. Thank you for understanding.

Sorry but your answer makes no sense at all, just give people all the functions out of the box and use the purchase date and proof of purchase for the warranty like every other camera manufacturer does. Let people enter the serial number online to register it against the account if you must make them register.

Making people jump through hoops can only be about one thing and that is control.
2021-3-30
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I am sorry, but your answer makes zero sense. I can't see how LIMITING  THE TIMES I CAN USE THE CAMERA AT ALL before activation allows me to maximize the usage of the camera or use it properly. To be able to use the camera properly or to be able to maximize the usage usually requires me TO BE ABLE TO USE THE CAMERA IN GENERAL. All the other gimbal cameras competing with yours haven't got this strange requirement - you can just take them immediately out of the box and start using them to their maximum potential, without extra hurdles or needing to buy additional stuff. Locking a paying customer out of using the camera after a couple of times isn't "maximizing usage" or "ensuring proper use".

This claim makes even less sense than the claim about warranty checks, which in itself already sounded exaggerated.

Kinda makes me suspicious...
2021-3-31
Use props
dreamaker99.wowway
lvl.2

United States

What you guys have said has been in the back of my head, but I didn't want to suggest it. I mean Smartphones I can understand to lock out, but this basic action camera, makes no sense. Dji Tech Support said for me because my Smartphone was Not compatible, to go to a friend that has a compatible phone to activate manually through their phone. People I knew asked if I was having a stroke to think that they were going to let me attach an unknown devise to their Smartphone and activate something. I even when to a major electronics retailer (Best Buy) that sells Dji products and aftering going to three different Departments they didn't get it activated. Afterwards, I wondered whether it was not that they couldn't get is activated, or was it more they didn't want to activate it due to personal security breech fear.  

DJI Stephen:  I can understand if a device inform you in the beginning before purchase that a device is either dependent to a Smartphone or needs to be connected to a specific Smartphone to function.  I can understand that because the buyer caan make a choice at that point.  But when specific information is Semi-hidden and Not entered in their promotional videos, it makes me wonder. Don't misunderstand me, I love Dji products I have three of their drones and a several of their electronic components.  Before the camera locked up on me I was happy what I saw, that is why I an determined to get it working.   There is nothing automatic that need to be done, that  the buyer can't do manually without locking the camera rendering it useless after purchase. You say it is all safe, we don't know that, and being a bit awkward means of activation it surly make people suspicious of their method.
2021-3-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the activation system are, that's always been a requirement for DJI Pocket devices and it's always been a bone of contention with some users - so I can't picture them deciding to do away with the requirement now.  It's a take it or leave it thing.  Annoying, yes, optional, no.
2021-3-31
Use props
dreamaker99.wowway
lvl.2

United States

from what  have seen it work, I was happy with.     The important thing is customers are Not reasonably warned before purchase of the device.    The Compatibility issue  is Not forthcoming and Smartphone Compatibility List is Not upfront like the memory  card compatibility is.  You are right, I will have to live with it and when this is all straightened  out,I will probably love the camera like I do with their other products I own by Dji. my solution to all of this is, I am waiting for a Iphone 8 to be delivered and hopefully this will all be resolved.  You are also right about changing and retooling the devise,     I have been manufacturing all my life and know that.     But, they can simplly tell the new customers that they need the correct Smartphone for the Pocket 2 to work properly.  So the customer can make a deciesion to buy, or prepare to work their way up to the camera with no issue or being Blind Sided like I was.

But, Thank You for everyone's input, that is important.
2021-3-31
Use props
dreamaker99.wowway
lvl.2

United States

Not trying to be a cry baby, but I was trained to recognise problems and to find solutions.   The whole ordeal was jumping through a bunch of hoops just to get from point A to point B was a bit frustrating. I just wanted to buy an device and use it, that simple. One of Dji's solutions was to get a friend with a compatible Smartphone and activate the Pocket 2, Yeah Right!! That theory don't fly in reality, that is like asking someone, if you can invade their privacy basically. But my solution was to go and buy a referb. Iphone 8, that finally came in and I got the Pocket 2 Activated. One good thing Is, I didn't have to get the phone activated with a carrier. I just had to set it up and get connected to my router and Wifi.  I thank you for your input and patience.
2021-4-2
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

For what it's worth.  I don't have a problem with it.  I don't use my phone for filming, just for updates and registration.  I've used three non recommended and cheap phones for registration etc with no problems.  The cheapest was a second-hand Blackview which I'd bought for £10 on Ebay.  
2021-4-2
Use props
dreamaker99.wowway
lvl.2

United States

I am sure you can find holes in my story, but the fact is my Moto Z2 cost me and didn't com close to working.  And the fact that there was a specific type of smartphone needed to Activate the Pocket 2 and was not Forthcoming about it. That Is my issue and I solved it and I am Good now !
2021-4-2
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

John Walker Posted at 4-2 09:12
For what it's worth.  I don't have a problem with it.  I don't use my phone for filming, just for updates and registration.  I've used three non recommended and cheap phones for registration etc with no problems.  The cheapest was a second-hand Blackview which I'd bought for £10 on Ebay.

You happen to remember the two other phone models you used for activation? I remember you have mentioned the Blackview before, but what about the two others?

Asking so I can update the list.
2021-4-2
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 4-2 14:06
You happen to remember the two other phone models you used for activation? I remember you have mentioned the Blackview before, but what about the two others?

Asking so I can update the list.

Might not be very helpful but they were both Sony Xperia models (low end).  My wife and my contract phones which we have since sold.  If I can find the model numbers I'll post on here.  I'm sure one was an Xperia 'J' something.  Neither any good for filming but I managed registration with them.   I now have a second-hand Huawei P20 which works fine.
2021-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

John Walker Posted at 4-3 03:36
Might not be very helpful but they were both Sony Xperia models (low end).  My wife and my contract phones which we have since sold.  If I can find the model numbers I'll post on here.  I'm sure one was an Xperia 'J' something.  Neither any good for filming but I managed registration with them.   I now have a second-hand Huawei P20 which works fine.

Please do inform us if you find the model names or numbers. Knowing the maker and model series helps a little, but the more specific the information, the better.
2021-4-4
Use props
djiuser_yPH3ThEjTQif
New

United States

that a BS answer .. under fair use doctrine you are dilebrately  restricting a device i PURCHASED OUTRIGHT . to hinder a products abilities for the user is sinsiter.  apple has delat with this in court and lost.  
2021-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules