Transmitter and Firmware Upgrade Issues
4630 30 2015-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

Hi Everyone,

So I received my Phantom 3 Advanced yesterday and went to upgrade the firmware today. I upgraded the aircraft to the V.1.2.8 and went to do the same for the remote (transmitter). When I power up the transmitter, it does not enter the firmware upgrade mode. In other words, all I see is the red light on the transmitter if my phantom 3 is off, and it turns to green whent he phantom 3 is on, indicating that there is RC link. However, when I keep the phantom 3 off, and I go to upgrade the transmitter, the light stays at red, and even after waiting a minute or two, it will not go into its firware upgrade sequence on the transmitter. I tried it with the Micro SD card and USB stick insterted into the USB port. When that didn't work, I contacted DJI support and they told me to try the transmitter upgrade via the provided USB cable. I tried that and the same thing... it did not enter the blue light sequence of the firmward upgrade. Once or twice, I did get a .txt file generated saying that the firmware on the remote is the same, or older than the firmware on the plane... but when I go into the DJI app, it says that my firmware on the remote needs to be updated. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing DJI app in case that was an issue.. but it was still saying that my remote firmware needs to be updated. I have no clue whats going on and am very worried. Can someone please help me?

Thank you in advance.

2015-7-15
Use props
mhertenberger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 591650 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I've had the following issue: I download the upgrade file to the MicroSD card and insert that into the aircraft. The upgrade completes. When I insert the MicroSD card into a USB adapter and connect that to the remote controller, the firmware update does not start. This has been the same for the last few upgrades I've performed. I find that saving the upgrade file to an actual USB stick and connecting that into the remote controller does allow the firmware update to complete without an issue.

I would suggest you retry the upgrade to the remote controller, but perhaps re-format a USB stick and then place the upgrade file onto that and try again.
2015-7-15
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

mhertenberger@g Posted at 2015-7-15 19:25
I've had the following issue: I download the upgrade file to the MicroSD card and insert that into t ...

Hi, the problem you are describing is exactly what I'm going through. However, I tried going the USB route as you suggested and that did not help the problem. Any other suggestions?

2015-7-15
Use props
mhertenberger
lvl.4
  • >>>
South Africa

I am not sure how else to help - using the USB route instead of the MicroSD card has worked for me each time. Do you give the upgrade sufficient time to start? Normally, it takes a while for it to get going. Make sure to power the aircraft and controller off, insert the USB stick with the firmware into the controller and then power on the remote controller. After a minute or so, the upgrade process should start.

If not, I'm out of ideas :-(
2015-7-15
Use props
DMB2015
lvl.2

Canada

I too recently got a P3A however at this point have chosen not to upgrade the firmware, due the problem stories I have read on the forum. However there are also a lot of people running the most recent version without issue as well.  I know this does not solve your issue, other than considering holding off on the update at this time.  
2015-7-15
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

mhertenberger@g Posted at 2015-7-15 21:09
I am not sure how else to help - using the USB route instead of the MicroSD card has worked for me e ...

Thanks for your help, but that's exactly what I have done with no luck
2015-7-15
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

DMB2015 Posted at 2015-7-15 22:08
I too recently got a P3A however at this point have chosen not to upgrade the firmware, due the prob ...

The problem is that I already upgraded the firmware on the aircraft. Had I not done that, I would have just kept it as is. But honestly, the unit is brand new and has yet to be flown... so this shouldn't even be an issue right now.
2015-7-15
Use props
mhertenberger
lvl.4
  • >>>
South Africa

That's a tough one... In a slightly more controlled environment (light to no wind, etc.) you should attempt a brief test flight. Set the RTH parameters to low altitude and select a beginner mode that shouldn't allow the aircraft to fly too far. Manual take off, allow it to hover and see how everything responds to controller input. I would guess that if all seems stable and the Pilot App indicates valid telemetry, your controller upgrade issue may be no concern... Good luck!
2015-7-16
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

mhertenberger@g Posted at 2015-7-16 22:14
That's a tough one... In a slightly more controlled environment (light to no wind, etc.) you should  ...

Will do, and will report my findings. Thank you for trying to help me

WJ
2015-7-16
Use props
mkinga
New

United Kingdom

williamjamesfpv Posted at 2015-7-17 02:59
Will do, and will report my findings. Thank you for trying to help me

WJ

I've got exactly the same issue, upgraded the Aircraft fine with an SD card but tried to upgrade the transmitter with a USB stick (FAT32) and it just sits there with a red LED. It SEEMS to work (not actually flown it yet but did a dummy run with no propellers and the motors spin up) but the DJI pilot app is still saying that the  RC firmware needs updating. It would be handy if there was a way of finding out what firmware versions are installed, is there an option in the app somewhere?

Martin.
2015-7-16
Use props
mkinga
New

United Kingdom

... BTW in a chat session with DJI just now they said the RC firmware doesn't need updating (would be good if they actually made that clear), when I pointed out that the APP said it needed updating the advice was to uninstall and re-install the app . Seems a very "clunky" solution but I'll give it a go.
2015-7-16
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

mkinga Posted at 2015-7-17 05:58
I've got exactly the same issue, upgraded the Aircraft fine with an SD card but tried to upgrade t ...

Okay, so I talked to DJI and apparently the particular model number of my Transmitter does not require an upgrade at this time. If your transmitter model number (found on the back of your remote) ends with 300B then apparently it is normal for it not to respond to the V1.2.8 firmware upgrade. I have had 4 flights without my firmware being upgraded and am good so far. However, my issue is that the DJI pilot app keeps crashing. Apparently this is another known issue. I wish I knew I was paying this much money for a headache.
2015-7-18
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

mkinga Posted at 2015-7-17 07:37
... BTW in a chat session with DJI just now they said the RC firmware doesn't need updating (would b ...

Please see my post (above). FWIW, mine is still asking for an update too.... but apparently this is a non-issue according to DJI
2015-7-18
Use props
Airads
New

United Kingdom

williamjamesfpv Posted at 2015-7-19 15:04
Please see my post (above). FWIW, mine is still asking for an update too.... but apparently this i ...

I don't think DJI support are reading this Forum as I've spent a day with exactly the same problem described here.

Here is this morning's answer:

Hello,

please try to update the remote using a normal usb drive.
Format it to FAT and put only the .bin update file on the drive.

Try if it works that way. I don´t believe there is an issue with the aircraft and the remote at the dame time.

I cannot say what firmware is installed at arrival. It usually does take some time from the aircraft being built and thwe arrival with the customer.

Please try with the usb drive und tell me if it worked.

Thank you
2015-7-21
Use props
Airads
New

United Kingdom

Airads Posted at 2015-7-22 15:21
I don't think DJI support are reading this Forum as I've spent a day with exactly the same problem ...

I attempted this.. see my reply to DJI support

I have attempted to use the update as suggested with formatted USB drive in the remote.

Steps followed:

Format USB drive on PC

Extract BIN file to USB drive

Place USB drive in remote

Turn remote on

Remote shows no activity except power lights on front.

NO RESULT
2015-7-21
Use props
Airads
New

United Kingdom

Airads Posted at 2015-7-22 15:42
I attempted this.. see my reply to DJI support
___________________________________________________ ...

I don't believe DJI actually read the emails they are sent,

See the latest reply on the firmware  problem

Please, see if your RC is model 300B. If so, it will not take the firmware even though it tells is opposite. This will be fixed with the next firmware which will come soon.

Best regards
Technical support
DJI GmbH
2015-7-22
Use props
Tiangcoa
lvl.1

Canada

Same thing happened to me. When I contacted online support they asked for my transmitter model and after giving them the model number they told me the rc did not need updating..but the app still says it does..
2015-7-25
Use props
knarfboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Model GL300B don't Need an update.

Update is for GL300A only.
2015-7-25
Use props
visualartbydave
New

United States

Same thing is happening to me. Now, the aircraft emits a constant beeping and is unable to communicate with the remote, or fly. I was flying my P3P all day yesterday with no problems. Tried to "do the right thing" and download/install their update, and now I have a $1200 paperweight with propellers. Not happy right now. And DJI support is totally unhelpful with this issue. Glad I kept the receipt, because this POS is going back!
2015-7-25
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

visualartbydave Posted at 2015-7-25 23:35
Same thing is happening to me. Now, the aircraft emits a constant beeping and is unable to communica ...

Before you return it, just want you to know that if your transmitter say's GL300B on the back, the firmware will not update and this is normal as per DJI. Based on my conversation with a DJI representative, an update for these models will be released at a later date.
2015-7-25
Use props
marcoengelet
New

Canada

Hi everybody, I have RC model GL300B and from other posts I know that this issue (RC does not record a feedback file at USB even saying that a upgrade is not necessary and so on...) will be resolved with future upgrades from DJI. My application also keep saying that I need upgrade it but I would like to add a information: it happens only with android application. With Apple IOS (Ipad Air 2) RC also does not record a feedback file at USB but IOS DJI Pilot version show that a upgrade is not necessary and firmware is up to date. I flew in beginner mode some times this week doing all kind of maneuvers and I had no problems but I am still afraid about send my Drone far away ( no beginner mode) and application just crash during my fly. Will DJI reimburse me if I get my Drone lost  due this issue?
2015-7-25
Use props
visualartbydave
New

United States

williamjamesfpv Posted at 2015-7-26 13:06
Before you return it, just want you to know that if your transmitter say's GL300B on the back, the ...

it is the GL300B, which is good to know now, I guess. But, the problem still exists. Since attempting to upload the firmware that is currently listed on the DJI website, the aircraft emits a constant beep. It's unlike any of the beeping noises in any of the update videos, and a fellow DJI owner has suggested it's a battery issue issue. I'm trying to chat with dji right now, but I'd actually have better luck bashing my head against the wall.
2015-7-27
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

visualartbydave Posted at 2015-7-28 01:17
it is the GL300B, which is good to know now, I guess. But, the problem still exists. Since attempt ...

Have you tried to re-link the transmitter to the phantom 3? Go to page 28 of  this page and follow the section where it says "linking the remote controller". Can you please update us and let us know if this works?
2015-7-27
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

marcoengelet Posted at 2015-7-26 15:08
Hi everybody, I have RC model GL300B and from other posts I know that this issue (RC does not record ...

Your question is a good one. DJI will not reimburse you unless they are entirely at fault. Even then, the burden of proof is on you. With that said, I'm in the same boat, and the DJI representative I spoke to said "it's safe to fly". Personally, I asked for this in writing in an e-mail and then saved it, just in case something should go wrong. It may be worth your while to do the same.
2015-7-27
Use props
visualartbydave
New

United States

williamjamesfpv Posted at 2015-7-28 15:18
Have you tried to re-link the transmitter to the phantom 3? Go to page 28 of  this page and follow ...

I was about to try the re-link transmitter option, but opted to uninstall the update on the SD card, and re-install it (for the third time), and somehow it friggin' worked! My bird is updated and she's been flyin' like a champ ever since!
2015-7-28
Use props
phantom3menace
lvl.1

United States

My P3P has been telling me to upgrade the FW since day one but I'm so hesitant on doing this because the aircraft has flown rock solid since day one.
2015-7-28
Use props
klaasjan
lvl.2

Netherlands

visualartbydave Posted at 2015-7-29 07:08
I was about to try the re-link transmitter option, but opted to uninstall the update on the SD car ...

Did you uninstall the update on the remote controller?
2015-7-29
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

visualartbydave Posted at 2015-7-29 07:08
I was about to try the re-link transmitter option, but opted to uninstall the update on the SD car ...

Glad to hear it works
2015-7-30
Use props
gabrielore
New

Argentina

Please I need help
I have a DJI three advanced and I can not update
I bought a few months ago in another country and in the store triggered me now when I want I can not update
it may be because you have an old fireware not on the web DJI?
Can anybody help me
I do not speak English well
I'm sorry
2015-12-17
Use props
gabrielore
New

Argentina

You have solution to this problem ?
2015-12-17
Use props
georgescualfred
New

Romania

Seems like everyone has this same problem. After firmware update on the aircraft, the one for the controller failed and in the overall status of the aircraft in the app menu, it says that the firmware is the latest version...so how can I update the controller if it says that? I have also seen something that no one mentioned. My signal has been cut off. I can start the aircraft, connect it to it, move the camera, but up in the middle on the app it says "No signal" and I can't start the propellors, so I can't fly it. I have tried re-linking, it relinked, but the outcome was the same...no signal. The craft is new and I am very dissapointed that no clear support for this multispread problem has been offered. What can be done?
2016-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules