Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Failure from condensation?
1327 15 2021-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI
lvl.1

United States

Well I just got an invoice for $49 from DJI claiming that there was "water damage" to my brand new Mini 2 (3 weeks old).  The gimbal started to have problems (unless I bumped it then it would  work again). Turn it off and same problem until I bumped the gimbal after it was on then it would work again.

DJI claims that there is water damage...here is the problem. I have  NEVER flown it in the rain or landed in water. It is very dry here in  the winter (Alaska), yes there is snow on the ground but the snow is very cold  (about zero F). The only thing that could have given it water damage is  condensation from bringing it from outdoors into indoors after being  flown in the cold. When landing I always landed it on either cardboard  or hard packed snow like a driveway. It has not rained here for more  than 4 months!

Have others had problems with a "water damage" issue just from  condensation? If so this drone is pathetically fragile. Also is it fair  to blanketly claim water damage just because a sensor says that there  was moisture but the problem appears to be unrelated???  If it really were water damage on the electronics then why would it start working every single time I bumped it, and it would keep working until the unit was turned off?

2021-3-31
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 295161 ft
Germany

in the drone there are water stickers that change color as soon as water gets on them. So yeah it could be water from condensation. But i am really don't think so, that it could be a damage from condensation, because it is not much water.
2021-3-31
Use props
djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI
lvl.1

United States

MM Pilot Posted at 3-31 12:29
in the drone there are water stickers that change color as soon as water gets on them. So yeah it could be water from condensation. But i am really don't think so, that it could be a damage from condensation, because it is not much water.

Just curious if anyone else had the issue because that becomes a big problem for me here...we have winter for 5-6 months of the year! I guess I could always bring it inside in a plastic bag to avoid condensation but wow...so fragile! I feel it is also a cop-out to blame water damage on something that does not appear related...gimbal does not go through full startup routine at startup unless I bump it. Zero crashes either...not even a hard landing or bump...
2021-3-31
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI Posted at 3-31 12:35
Just curious if anyone else had the issue because that becomes a big problem for me here...we have winter for 5-6 months of the year! I guess I could always bring it inside in a plastic bag to avoid condensation but wow...so fragile! I feel it is also a cop-out to blame water damage on something that does not appear related...gimbal does not go through full startup routine at startup unless I bump it. Zero crashes either...not even a hard landing or bump...

hmm, mayby it could be to cold for the drone. If you take a look at the technical data sheet, there you will find the temperatures for the drone and for the fly batterie. I am not sure but i think it was for the drone 0°C and for the fly batterie 5°C. The error could be due to this ,just an idea.
2021-3-31
Use props
djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI
lvl.1

United States

MM Pilot Posted at 3-31 12:48
hmm, mayby it could be to cold for the drone. If you take a look at the technical data sheet, there you will find the temperatures for the drone and for the fly batterie. I am not sure but i think it was for the drone 0°C and for the fly batterie 5°C. The error could be due to this ,just an idea.

No it flies just fine. I flew it in the cold and also indoors and there was no difference. I would fly it for 15 min or so in the cold outside and just watch the battery level. This of course has nothing to do with the claim by DJI of "water damage" unless of course their water sensor patches are so sensitive that they got tripped by condensation. Again the drone continued to work and fly ...but the gimbal would not finish the calibration routine unless I bumped it.  Then it would work and it would fly just fine again.
2021-3-31
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI Posted at 3-31 12:59
No it flies just fine. I flew it in the cold and also indoors and there was no difference. I would fly it for 15 min or so in the cold outside and just watch the battery level. This of course has nothing to do with the claim by DJI of "water damage" unless of course their water sensor patches are so sensitive that they got tripped by condensation. Again the drone continued to work and fly ...but the gimbal would not finish the calibration routine unless I bumped it.  Then it would work and it would fly just fine again.

mhm then good luck here, let's see if someone had the same problem
2021-3-31
Use props
djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI
lvl.1

United States

MM Pilot Posted at 3-31 21:33
mhm then good luck here, let's see if someone had the same problem

The worst part is DJI won't even address the problem for why I sent it in (gimbal) because they say water damage. I suspect that the little red dot indicator was red so they did not even look at the real problem and just blamed it on water damage. They said the would look into it when I complained but that was several days ago and no contact whatsoever for 3 days now. They got the drone on 22nd of March and still no resolution. They just want me to pay the $49 I think.

Still does not answer if this thing can be ruined just by condensation or if their sensors are over sensitive or if the gimbal broke from completely unrelated issues.

One of the most frustrating things is that calling DJI on the phone is very hard. Wait on hold for 10-12 min then talk for 2-3 min and after a total time of 15 min (4x in a row) the DJI phone hangs up. So I can never resolve things because the phone hangs up in exactly 15 min.

2021-4-2
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

Mhm i was able to speak to them without time retriction. Did you pay the 49 dollars?
2021-4-3
Use props
djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI
lvl.1

United States

MM Pilot Posted at 4-3 23:03
Mhm i was able to speak to them without time retriction. Did you pay the 49 dollars?

I have not paid the $49 yet. They have promised to call me within 48 hours to discuss...but that was more than 48 hours ago. I have called them more than 6 times and 100% of the time was cut off at the 15 minute mark starting from the time I was put on hold. If it works for you I don't know what to say other than great! It was even ironic that I told the one lady we needed to hurry because the phone would cut us off in 1.5 min...and it did.
2021-4-5
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI Posted at 4-5 18:00
I have not paid the $49 yet. They have promised to call me within 48 hours to discuss...but that was more than 48 hours ago. I have called them more than 6 times and 100% of the time was cut off at the 15 minute mark starting from the time I was put on hold. If it works for you I don't know what to say other than great! It was even ironic that I told the one lady we needed to hurry because the phone would cut us off in 1.5 min...and it did.

mhm okay. If you have solved the problem, please write it here.
2021-4-7
Use props
djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI
lvl.1

United States

MM Pilot Posted at 4-7 08:10
mhm okay. If you have solved the problem, please write it here.

Well I give up...DJI is almost impossible to deal with.

1. I called them more than 6 times and their phone system hangs up on me after 15 min each and every time.
2. Their manager named Clarice promised to call/email within 48 hours back on April 3. It is now April 7 and still nothing.
3. They even had the audacity to send me a customer satisfaction survey...even when NOTHING has been resolved.
4.  It does not appear they even looked at the problem that I sent it in for...they simply glanced at the LDI (liquid damage indicator) and blamed everything on that and stopped there.

Bottom line...Poor service, poor communication, warranty is virtually pointless as they will just ignore you anyway. If you want a real warranty look at some other company I guess. I am not impressed and will not recommend them anymore. If you want results you had better be a famous blogger or something...

I am paying my $49 so I can get my drone back.  
2021-4-7
Use props
djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI Posted at 4-7 10:04
Well I give up...DJI is almost impossible to deal with.

1. I called them more than 6 times and their phone system hangs up on me after 15 min each and every time.

Finally got a response to my complaint. It basically did not address my questions or concerns. It simply said they had a policy to follow and there was nothing they could do. "Because using electronics in a moist environment is never recommended."​

So even though the relative humidity during the time I used it was about 25% This drone can't take condensation at all. So if you use it in the cold make sure you put it in a sealed bag before bringing it indoors or the oversensitive DJI moisture sensors will say that you flew it in the rain or landed in water even though that was not the case for me.

DJI seems happy to blame something else...but did not even look at why the gimbal actually failed right after I did a firmware update. But they had a good scape goat...and I have learned my lesson...condensation is not good for DJI moisture sensors.
2021-4-7
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI Posted at 4-7 15:56
Finally got a response to my complaint. It basically did not address my questions or concerns. It simply said they had a policy to follow and there was nothing they could do. "Because using electronics in a moist environment is never recommended."​

So even though the relative humidity during the time I used it was about 25% This drone can't take condensation at all. So if you use it in the cold make sure you put it in a sealed bag before bringing it indoors or the oversensitive DJI moisture sensors will say that you flew it in the rain or landed in water even though that was not the case for me.

nice to hear that! Now you are able to fly again. But very interesting to know how Dji is texting to you and what the problem was. Also it is nice that we learned how to use the drone, if it was very cold and/or the humidity during is higher (not in your case). Than have fun by flying and keep on training for good videos and footages.
2021-4-8
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Germany

Bodkins Best Photography Posted at 4-8 12:52
How is THAT nice to hear?  Did you read the guy's post?

it is nice to hear that he can fly again
2021-4-9
Use props
djiuser_LDfX861AGXhT
New
Flight distance : 70778 ft
United States

I have had the same problem.   At no time was I near, over or around water.  I crashed in a back yard in kansas city ( my fault, yep). The battery door was damaged.  I wanted it replaced.  They claimed water damage.  I downloaded the flight logs..before and up to the flight accident.   They claimed water damage.  I asked for a re evaluation.  The email I received back was :
Thank you for your patience.

We've now received a feedback from our engineers and according to them you reported that the drone crashed into the ocean on August 6, 2022 around 2 or 3 PM however you did not provide the flight records on the said date. What you provided are the following:

DJIFlightRecord_2022-04-09_[13-28-24].txt
2022-04-09_[13-33-31].txt
2022-04-09_[13-35-58].txt
2022-06-11_[20-38-57].txt
2022-08-18_[15-51-42].txt
2022-08-18_[16-00-14].txt
2022-08-18_[16-14-41].txt
  There was no flight on the date they say! KANSAS is nowhere NEAR the ocean!
To say my confidence is shaken by their repair team? Y
2022-9-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_LDfX861AGXhT Posted at 9-18 16:40
I have had the same problem.   At no time was I near, over or around water.  I crashed in a back yard in kansas city ( my fault, yep). The battery door was damaged.  I wanted it replaced.  They claimed water damage.  I downloaded the flight logs..before and up to the flight accident.   They claimed water damage.  I asked for a re evaluation.  The email I received back was :
Thank you for your patience.

Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. May we know when your drone crashed? Then we can confirm with the relevant team and keep you updated here asap.
Please don't worry, we will do our best to help.

If you need any support, please let us know as well.
2022-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules