Overall disappointment
1869 12 2021-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AfilthyHOBO
lvl.1

United States

So ... I'm going from a Mavic Pro to the FPV and am extremely disappointed thus far.  The drone arrived Wednesday, but I worked 68 hrs this week and today was the first day (after work) I could set it up.  As advertised, this is an out of the box, ready to fly drone.  It has been anything but for me.  To start things off, my FPV goggles are stuck in Chinese, and there are no instructions on how to switch back to English.  There are plenty of links on Google that explain how to navigate it in English, but it doesn't help if it is in Chinese.  To top things off, by the time I get to the point of ripping out my hair, I decide to call DJI, only to be 3 minutes late (503pm or 1703 PST) and they are closed.  So the earlisest I can get some technical assistance for my goggles would be this coming Tuesday, (4/6/21), my next day off.  

But, we can fly these things without the goggles right?  I updated all the firmware, synced the controller .............. nothing.  I turn the drone and controller on, pull the joysticks down and left to turn the motors on ... nothing.  At this point, it is getting dark, and I just want to at least get the drone in the air.  I check the geofencing to see if I'm in a no-fly zone, and I am in the clear.  Batteries are ok, (3 lights now bc I've been at this for the past 2 hours, but still well enough to fly around the backyard.  I re-sync the drone and controller, go to start the motors .... nothing.  At this point I say ... hmmm, I wonder if the goggles have to be on to start the motors.  Even though it is in Chinese, I can at least turn them on and set them down, and fly within VLOS right?  So now drone, controller, AND goggles are on ... pull down and back on the joysticks ... and nothing.  

I sold my Mavic to my brother and totally regret it.  I am about an inch away from just returning this and paying the $300 restocking fee.  DJI ... you really let me down with this drone.  From the Chinese display in the goggles, to the not being able to take off .... I'm beyond frustrated.  This is a disgrace to the DJI name.  

If anyone here can walk me through at least the goggles, I would greatly appreciate it.  If you can help explain why it isn't taking off, even better.  I work 13 hrs tomorrow but will have time Sunday to fiddle with this.  If walking me through the goggles ... please realize I can't see anything but symbols.  When I click on the 5D button and the menu screen pops up in the left, I see the bar chart looking symbol top left, then next down would be photos (aren't any yet obviously), next down would be an icon that has two opposing arrows, then next down would be what looks like a hexagon.  I think the language settings would be in the hexagon icon.  I would think that is settings.  That said .... when I click on settings, how many lines do I go down, then when I click that line, how many lines do I go down again to get to the language setting?  

If I can't get the drone in the air on Sunday, I'll wait til Tuesday and call ... and possibly send this back in for return if I still have an issue.  It's just frustrating I have to wait 6 days to fly becuase something isn't right.  This isn't an "out of the box" drone in my honest opinion.

2021-4-2
Use props
ApoIIo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36860 ft
Australia

Ok bro do this.
Turn goggles controller and drone on
Bring up goggles menu,
Go to the bottom hexagon icon
Select.
On the new menu go to the bottom line. Select
Then push the 5d control stick forward (away from your face) so you are going up.
2 times.  Then select that option.
A pop up screen with 2 options should come up.
Choose the option on the right.
That is a goggles reset.
After that is done make sure you select English
2021-4-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, AfilthyHOBO. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. We're truly sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing but we're here to assist you.

To change the language, please follow the guides below:
1. Press the 5D Button on the goggles to enter the menu bar, find the "Settings"

2. Then go to "About"

3. Find the "Language" , then change the language to your preference.

Hope this helps and after that, please activate the DJI FPV so it can be used.
2021-4-2
Use props
djiuser_x0XZnwUJiA6x
lvl.3
Flight distance : 554928 ft
Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-2 23:11
Hi, AfilthyHOBO. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. We're truly sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing but we're here to assist you.

To change the language, please follow the guides below:
Hey Gamora,
I don‘t have this problem but I have to say, thats good support! Great screenshots. I hope it helps.

I think the FPV isn‘t a replacement for the Mavic. It‘s an entire different drone. It depends what you want to do: The Mavic is great for photography und the fpv is more for the fun to fly. Guess I wait for a Mavic 3 and will buy it too, for photography. Hope we‘ll able to fly it with the goggles too.
2021-4-3
Use props
AfilthyHOBO
lvl.1

United States

Hey all, thank you for both of the replies!  I'm off to work but will do this when I get home.  Also, I already activated the drone ... at least I think I did.  I connected it to the phone and went through the "registration" process if that is what you want to call it ... where the drone turns on and resets itself.  That is why I am confused as to why it won't fly?  I will watch that you tube vid when I get home .... maybe I missed something, but thank you for the support and posting it.  Either way, I'll play with this later. Got to get going.  I really hope I am able to fly this weekend.  I plan to get my 107 and start a little side income with this ... never used FPV though, just the little LCD screen on the controller with the Mavic.  The weather is supposed to be perfect today and tomorrow so hoping to get it in the air.  If I still have trouble with getting it started, I'll let y'all know.  I also bought the motion controller so I might try that as well.  Just figured I'd start with what I was used to.
2021-4-3
Use props
AfilthyHOBO
lvl.1

United States

Alright!  I got my goggles to work in English, thank you for the above posts!  So next dilemma ... last night, I think I was able to get the drone and goggles connected, but must not have activated it.  I thought I did because the drone reset itself, but I can't figure out how I got there.  I downloaded the DJI Fly App from Playstore again today, and the DJI FPV isn't a listed option.  I then used the links found in other posts on this forum to download the APK file, that shows the FPV being listed in version 1.3.0.  I opened the app ... still doesn't support FPV, only gives me the options of Mavic Mini, Mavic Air 2, and DJI Mini 2.  DJI FPV isn't listed ............ sooooooooooooooo how do I activate?  

What's up DJI?  I have a $1300 paper weight right now.  this is truly unsatisfactory from this company.  I'm inches away from sending this thing back in for refund
2021-4-3
Use props
AfilthyHOBO
lvl.1

United States

Activated everything on the computer using the DJI Assistant 2 app for Windows.  Updated all three, (drone, goggles, controller).  Brought it outside ... nothing.  I have a video feed from the drone, but still won't takeoff.  WTH am I doing wrong????
2021-4-3
Use props
Winkle
lvl.2
Canada

It doesn't sound like you've completed the activation process. Connecting it to the PC via DJI Assistant 2 only does the firmware updates and uploads flight data info to the drone.

To complete the activation process, do this:

1) Take OTG cable and plug the USB-C end to the goggles
2) Take included USB-A to USB-C cable, plug USB-A to other end of OTG cable
3) Plug the USB-C end of the USB-A to USB-C cable to your phone
4) Turn on goggles, drone and controller
5) Either wait for phone to auto-launch DJI Fly app, or start DJI Fly app on your own

MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT THE GOGGLES AND PHONE IN THIS EXACT ORDER. If you reverse it (phone to OTG to USB to goggles), then IT WILL NOT WORK.

On the bottom right corner of the DJI Fly app screen (right above Connect Aircraft or the Fly button), you should see three icons representing the drone, goggles and controller. If you see that, then your hardware is successfully connected to the DJI Fly app. Look into your goggles and complete the activation process which includes binding a phone number to your goggles. It'll also check to make sure your firmware and flight data are all up to date. Lastly, make sure the drone is in a location where it can recieve a GPS signal (place it next to a window, or better yet, put it outside), the DJI Fly app will use the GPS data to set your country code for your drone. If everything works out, this will complete the activation process and allow you to fly.

The DJI FPV Drone is a ready to fly drone for all intent and purpose, the biggest issue is that the activation process is rather convoluted and the included documentation does an extremely poor job of explaining the activation process (honestly, it's fair to say it doesn't at all... I managed to activate it but it was a frustratingly long trial-and-error process).

2021-4-3
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

AfilthyHOBO Posted at 4-3 19:39
Activated everything on the computer using the DJI Assistant 2 app for Windows.  Updated all three, (drone, goggles, controller).  Brought it outside ... nothing.  I have a video feed from the drone, but still won't takeoff.  WTH am I doing wrong????

to start the motors you need to push the sticks down and inwards or outwards and not like you mention it in your original post ...  

2021-4-4
Use props
AfilthyHOBO
lvl.1

United States

tomekyo Posted at 4-4 12:52
to start the motors you need to push the sticks down and inwards or outwards and not like you mention it in your original post ...

I did that ... down and inwards, down and outwards.  Used to have a Mavic, I understand these things.  The drone is defective.  I spoke with DJI support this week and just sent it out for a replacement yesterday.  The fan will not turn on, thus it will not let me take off.  
2021-4-11
Use props
AfilthyHOBO
lvl.1

United States

First off, I want to thank everyone on here for their answers.  Secondly, my replacement drone arrived today.  I did not even mess around with the OSG cable or whatever it was.  I charged everything to full capacity, turned on the goggles, then controller, then drone, and plugged in my USB-C to USB-C high speed cable from goggles to phone, and it automatically recognized the drone, activated, updated firmware, and I was flying within 20 minutes.  I wish this happened the first time BUT, overall, DJI came through and I am a happy customer.  I didn't even play around in N mode, went straight to S for the first battery, then M for the second battery.  I'm thoroughly happy now.  I will try to sync and use the motion controller tomorrow.  Thank you DJI for such an exhilarating product!
2021-4-23
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

AfilthyHOBO Posted at 4-23 18:02
First off, I want to thank everyone on here for their answers.  Secondly, my replacement drone arrived today.  I did not even mess around with the OSG cable or whatever it was.  I charged everything to full capacity, turned on the goggles, then controller, then drone, and plugged in my USB-C to USB-C high speed cable from goggles to phone, and it automatically recognized the drone, activated, updated firmware, and I was flying within 20 minutes.  I wish this happened the first time BUT, overall, DJI came through and I am a happy customer.  I didn't even play around in N mode, went straight to S for the first battery, then M for the second battery.  I'm thoroughly happy now.  I will try to sync and use the motion controller tomorrow.  Thank you DJI for such an exhilarating product!

Up to you, but you might want to edit your original post and modify the title.
I'm glad to hear things work correctly.

It took me over a week before I could fly my drone. I had to wait for an update to the app in order for to update the firmware. As with you, things work great now.
2021-4-23
Use props
AfilthyHOBO
lvl.1

United States

RE: Overall disappointment turned to happiness ... TY DJI

Thank you ... part 107 coming next, then I'm thinking Mavic 2 Enterprise.

2021-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules