DJI Mini 2, Gimbal calibration problem (error 40011)
22784 32 2021-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Bp1s4Nuxqgh2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74865 ft
Italy

good morning, I state that I have already contacted the assistance and on Tuesday I will send my drone to the Netherlands but I wanted to share with you what happened and also help other users in the future.
Yesterday after a normal flight with my mini 2, battery charged to 100, removed gimbal protector, made all preflight check, after landing when I was picking it up to turn it off, he decided to present himself with error 40011 regarding calibration of the gimbal; this error from that moment has not been removed, despite having done the calibration and has been successful and despite the gimbal working without problems.
I checked where there are the small motors that move it if there was dirt but nothing.
The only anomaly that I can notice since the error appeared is that when I turn on the drone the calibration at power up ends with the camera just crooked and then straightens a second later (video attached) and start to working normally (always with error 40011).
If anyone had the same problem you can compare it.
Thank you and greetings

P.S. : The drone was bought new less than two months ago from the official DJI store

Screenshot of error
Gimbal not calibrating correctly
2021-4-3
Use props
djiuser_Bp1s4Nuxqgh2
lvl.1
Italy

Gimbal video : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HlBIRmA63pxSYHDb6MYD1gR4CIV0y_vU/view?usp=sharing
2021-4-3
Use props
Rados
lvl.1

Czechia

I have same problem since yesterday. It appeared after normal launch of the drone... I don't understand why, everything works corretly... expect horizon problem issue when I flying - after last firmware update (I sent reply to exact thread).

I seems to be like a car diagnostics errors. Sometimes problem appears one time (for very short time or milisec) and is still in fault's memory even when everythings is after that ok.
On the other hand... it can be problem with something what can slowly goes to die or not.

Drones are very sensitive electronics but it would be good to solve it or delete this error.

2021-4-3
Use props
ricky01
lvl.1
Italy

Unfortunately, despite having tried several times this error does not seem to go away, I have already disassembled the propellers and prepared for shipping, I am sorry to find this kind of errors, but maybe there could be some defective pieces, I will update the thread when DJI tells me something about it
2021-4-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_Bp1s4Nuxqgh2. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. We're sorry to read about the difficulties you have experienced. Since you have done almost all the suggested troubleshooting, it is indeed best and recommended that you return the unit back to our Service Center for a proper examination. We hope that this can be resolved immediately.
2021-4-3
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

ricky01 Posted at 4-3 09:59
Unfortunately, despite having tried several times this error does not seem to go away, I have already disassembled the propellers and prepared for shipping, I am sorry to find this kind of errors, but maybe there could be some defective pieces, I will update the thread when DJI tells me something about it

Luckily, I haven't had to send a Mini 2 back for repair (yet). I didn't realise you had to disassemble the propellers before despatch!
2021-4-4
Use props
ricky01
lvl.1
Italy

when you prepare package for shipping, on dji site they write to remove sd card battery and propellers if they are working 100%, in my case the only  problem is gimbal, and anyway, they are 8 simple screws, it is not a difficult operation at all.
maybe they want you to remove them if they are not needed because they are delicate pieces that could be damaged during transport, same thing for the battery.I also never wanted to send my 2 month mini2 but as long as it is under warranty I prefer to intervene if there were any defects.
in case I also have the dji care

2021-4-4
Use props
Sinkfish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4534 ft
Philippines

I have error 40011 also but all are working. Here are the video/screen record...

1. First startup no gimbal calibration
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JPfykXb0ZSBuYLXAvMZc2auBP1HVWIwF/view?usp=sharing

2. Second startup after gimbal calibration
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... UA/view?usp=sharing

3. Screen record during flight
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 8W/view?usp=sharing

2021-4-8
Use props
ricky01
lvl.1
Italy

Sinkfish Posted at 4-8 17:41
I have error 40011 also but all are working. Here are the video/screen record...

1. First startup no gimbal calibration

exact same identical problem, i shipped my drone to dji assistance, i will update when they tell me something about it
2021-4-8
Use props
ricky01
lvl.1
Italy

Good evening, today DJI updated me about my drone:
Item List

Gimbal Axis Arm Module

Quantity: 1

Net Price : 29.75

Total Net: 29.75

Repair Service Fee

Quantity: 1

Net Price : 50.00

Total Net: 50.00

Freight

Discount

Sub Total Payment

VAT(at 21%)

Grand Total Payment (EUR)

They changed all the gimbal arm in warranty
2021-4-12
Use props
Sinkfish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4534 ft
Philippines

ricky01 Posted at 4-12 10:58
Good evening, today DJI updated me about my drone:
Item List

I'm also returning mine tomorrow for warranty & repair.

2021-4-13
Use props
ricky01
lvl.1
Italy

UPDATE: i wrote at dji support about propellers and screws, they answer me :
'The customer will receive a repaired drone back from us, with new propellers including new screws installed already.
For the mini and mini 2, DJI policy is to only use the propeller screws 1 time, if you replace the propellers according to DJI policy you should use new screws.'

Seems like they install new propellers with new screws
2021-4-14
Use props
BaliSkies
lvl.3

Australia

ricky01 Posted at 4-14 01:19
UPDATE: i wrote at dji support about propellers and screws, they answer me :
'The customer will receive a repaired drone back from us, with new propellers including new screws installed already.
For the mini and mini 2, DJI policy is to only use the propeller screws 1 time, if you replace the propellers according to DJI policy you should use new screws.'

Another fantastic example of the wonderful customer service DJI provides to us when it comes to having our drones repaired/replaced. This is why we pay premium price for premium product, just like Apple product. Keep up the great work DJI!
2021-4-14
Use props
ricky01
lvl.1
Italy

Another update: S/N changed and apparentely they already transferred dji care to new S/N, i think i will have to configure new drone on my DJI Fly APP.
And....the controller will have remained paired with the drone (?)
2021-4-14
Use props
VeniceDJI_Flyer
lvl.1
Italy

FINAL UPDATE : Today my mini 2 came back from dji, i think at 99% it's a new unit (maybe reconditioned) but new, it was on a new box with trasparent plastic on, S/N changed, they trasferred DJI Care.
I think that is relatively recent unit because on the box is written 03/2021.
2021-4-19
Use props
texgeekboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347024 ft
United States

VeniceDJI_Flyer Posted at 4-19 12:48
FINAL UPDATE : Today my mini 2 came back from dji, i think at 99% it's a new unit (maybe reconditioned) but new, it was on a new box with trasparent plastic on, S/N changed, they trasferred DJI Care.
I think that is relatively recent unit because on the box is written 03/2021.
[view_image]

Did the new mini also include a battery?
2021-4-25
Use props
k3mejia05
lvl.1

El Salvador

i have tthe same problem, i can calibrate normally but the error is there.
2021-8-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

k3mejia05 Posted at 8-15 21:41

If Error Code 40011 “Gimbal calibration error. Restart aircraft” appears in the DJI Fly app, please follow the troubleshooting steps below:
1. Check whether the gimbal protector has been removed before powering on. If not, remove the gimbal protector and restart the aircraft.
2. Check whether the DJI Fly app is the latest version. If not, update the app to the latest version.
3. Remove the microSD card from the aircraft (if any). Go to Settings > Control > Gimbal Calibration in the DJI Fly app.
4. Check whether the aircraft firmware is the latest version. If not, update the firmware to the latest version.
If the problem still persists after the above troubleshooting, please change to another mobile to test or send the drone to us for a detailed diagnosis.
2021-8-16
Use props
k3mejia05
lvl.1

El Salvador

DJI Thor Posted at 8-16 02:19
If Error Code 40011 “Gimbal calibration error. Restart aircraft” appears in the DJI Fly app, please follow the troubleshooting steps below:
1. Check whether the gimbal protector has been removed before powering on. If not, remove the gimbal protector and restart the aircraft.
2. Check whether the DJI Fly app is the latest version. If not, update the app to the latest version.

Of the recommendations I have only not made the last

I bought the drone in amazon, but a friend brought it to my country (El Salvador, Central America). I don't know how to send it to you.

The drone has 1 week of use.

2021-8-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

k3mejia05 Posted at 8-16 16:58
Of the recommendations I have only not made the last

I bought the drone in amazon, but a friend brought it to my country (El Salvador, Central America). I don't know how to send it to you.

You may contact our online support at the link below: https://www.dji.com/uk/support?site=brandsite&from=nav11:15 or please send us an email to support@dji.com, our team will help to check it and provide further assistance.
2021-8-16
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

It must have been something mid flight that caused it
2021-8-17
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

k3mejia05 Posted at 8-15 21:41

I think its a software issue then
2021-8-17
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BaliSkies Posted at 4-14 02:08
Another fantastic example of the wonderful customer service DJI provides to us when it comes to having our drones repaired/replaced. This is why we pay premium price for premium product, just like Apple product. Keep up the great work DJI!

Agreed!
2021-8-17
Use props
djiuser_JbqLdlvJrC0h
lvl.1
United Kingdom

VeniceDJI_Flyer Posted at 4-19 12:48
FINAL UPDATE : Today my mini 2 came back from dji, i think at 99% it's a new unit (maybe reconditioned) but new, it was on a new box with trasparent plastic on, S/N changed, they trasferred DJI Care.
I think that is relatively recent unit because on the box is written 03/2021.
[view_image]

Not being funny but if I sent my drone back for repair I would expect the same drone sent back and not some other that you don't know the history behind?!
2021-8-17
Use props
k3mejia05
lvl.1

El Salvador

I fly the drone on the beach. I guess some tarash got it in the gimbal, so I blew it with a can of compressed air, the gimbal is normal but the error still there. I 'll send a mail toda y.

I  spanish speaker, my inglsh is very weak (lol) ,  is there a forum or assistence in spanish?

Thanks for reply
2021-8-17
Use props
k3mejia05
lvl.1

El Salvador

k3mejia05 Posted at 8-17 06:02
I fly the drone on the beach. I guess some tarash got it in the gimbal, so I blew it with a can of compressed air, the gimbal is normal but the error still there. I 'll send a mail toda y.

I  spanish speaker, my inglsh is very weak (lol) ,  is there a forum or assistence in spanish?

My country is not in the "send services"  list.
2021-8-17
Use props
dhTech
New
Canada

It is blatantly obvious that this is a firmware issue which DJI has chosen to ignore or... perhaps, even have it propagated!
How can I make such a statement?
After the latest firmware update, my Mini 2, for no apparent reason, began to persistently display the 'gimbal calibration error 40011'. The gimbal itself (and the drone) operates normally with no apparent defects. Performed many gimbal calibrations to no avail.
While searching the internet for a possible solution, I learned that many DJI drone users have experienced this same issue with a normal operating gimbal. I also learned that the simple solution is to roll back the firmware to a specific version, perform an automatic gimbal calibration, cycle the drone off and on, update the firmware to the current version and... presto, the error is gone!
Although this procedure works for most DJI drones, unfortunately, it does not work for the Mini 2. All of the previous versions of the Mini 2 firmware contain this 'bug'.
@DJI: Surely you must know that this is a firmware deficiency, it has been around for years now. Why are you still insisting on your customers to send back their drones for service?
2022-2-1
Use props
JeremyD
New

United States

Has anyone had success getting this error to go away?  I just bought the drone, refurbished, and have flown it several times.  I thought the image was slightly tilted so I performed an auto calibration.  It still looks a bit off so I did a manual one.  Seemed to work fine.  However, after the first flight with the calibration it began giving the error.  Nothing I do resolves the issue.  I've tried all the suggestions in this thread to no avail.  I really would hate to send the drone in for repair, especially when so many others seem to be having the exact same issue.  Something does not seem right here.  Thanks.
2022-2-28
Use props
FlyingOverABQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103245 ft
United States

djiuser_JbqLdlvJrC0h Posted at 2021-8-17 05:45
Not being funny but if I sent my drone back for repair I would expect the same drone sent back and not some other that you don't know the history behind?!

You would think.  My experience was I sent in my drone due to a status light pattern code not covered in the manual and they said to send it in.  The returned unit also had a different serial number.  Problem is there was nothing wrong with my unit as the status light pattern was finally looked up by DJI personal when I wrote the problem still existed with the returned unit.  Turned out I was flying in an 500 ft altitude restricted zone and the status light pattern is just a warning.  I wonder how many other status light patterns there are that are not covered in the manual.
I think they send you back a reconditioned unit just to make the 'repair' process go a little faster.
2022-3-1
Use props
fanse2ad6b12
New
Flight distance : 250220 ft
United States

Just posting to confirm the same thing happened to my Mini 2, and the repair process through DJI was lightning quick. I dropped it off at UPS Friday, and had it back the following Thursday! It's 11 months old, and was fixed free of charge. So thrilled with the quick service - I was expecting 2-3 weeks!
2022-4-28
Use props
djiuser_mMuMkfxVkfdf
New

United States

Well, this seems pretty common now. Contacted chat support. No help, except: send it in. Don't want to do that as I need my drone for a project. Found a video on YouTube that says flash the firmware back to 1.03, calibrate, then re-flash back to 1.05. Looked like it fixed it on his vid. Unfortunately, the software he used won't let me flash it to 1.03. I hope dji is issuing a firmware update soon! Hope patience pays off!
2022-8-10
Use props
Steven Parker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 252402 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I got the same error after upgrading to the latest firmware a few months ago. Still haven’t sent it in for repair as I haven’t had any problems with the gimbal operation. I guess I should send it in , but was hoping a firmware update or revision would fix the error. My concern was that the firmware was bugged and caused the error, possibly unrelated, but I’d hate to think that there were many people with the same problem, and DJI had implemented this as a way to increase income for out of warranty units! Mine was second hand and only 3 months old when purchased.
2022-10-29
Use props
DJISolution
lvl.1

Cambodia

Error 40011 sometime appear for no reason but it mostly appear when we replace the gimbal. But first let's try to calibrate on DJI Fly App. if it can't calibrate, we need to flash the calibrate firmware like to do when we replace the gimbal. for more information about calibrate firmware for mini models and air models. Telegram me: t.me/djisolution
2023-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules