Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Discouraged with Mavic Mini
809 13 2021-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JimDoss
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142572 ft
Mexico

Firstly, sometime last year, my Mini had an issue with a firmware update which bricked it.  I had the service plan, so I contacted Support and sent it in.  Took a long time, but I finally got it back.  DJI replaced it with a new (different? one).  All went well for a month or so and it started having random issues.  Last November, as I was flying the drone, it started acting oddly, not wanting to hover perfectly, but seemed to fly OK.  I took a few short flights. and put it away.  I wasn't trustng it.  
Today, I got the drone out to prepare it for an upcoming trip.  Charged the batteries and even replace the props, thinking the funny hovering might have been from a bent one.  Right away I got a Calibrate IMU warning.  It wouldn't.  So I  calibrated the compass thinking that might help.  Still nothing.  Gets to about 14% if I'm lucky.  I've tried several times, always turning off the drone first.  It still wont calibrate.  The drone is not near any metal.  I've tried several places, even outside.

Now, it started to give me Incompatable Gimbal Date messages.  The gimbal seems to be working correctly and goes through its startup sequance fine.  It even stays level if I move the drone around.

This drone has not been crashed or even landed hard.  It's always stored in its case and has been in it since the last use.  I treat it like a wet potato chip.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?  Am I missing a step?  I checked for a firmware update, but there was nothing new.  

Thanks in advance - Jim
2021-4-4
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5821801 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you doing the imu calibration right? Took me a little bit to figure out you have to do the next step for it to work
2021-4-4
Use props
JimDoss
lvl.1
Mexico

Djimaniac Posted at 4-4 16:13
Are you doing the imu calibration right? Took me a little bit to figure out you have to do the next step for it to work

I've done it before, so I think so.  Like I said, once it starts, the calibration goes to about 10-14% and quits.  Thanks for the reply.
2021-4-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Jim. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to refresh the firmware of your DJI Mavic Mini and then try to recalibrate the said DJI Drone once again for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.
2021-4-4
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

Try to refresh the firmware with the DJI Assistant 2 on the PC.
2021-4-5
Use props
JimDoss
lvl.1
Mexico

amferreira Posted at 4-5 03:59
Try to refresh the firmware with the DJI Assistant 2 on the PC.

Thank you (and to Stephen) for the info.  This is not working.  In fact, the drone is never recognized by the software.  I've installed it on two computers with the same result.  I've made sure I have the correct version and also am following the directions about restarting the drone and plugging it in within 20 seconds.  I've tried every combination of this procedure possible, restarted the app, restarted the PC, plugged in the USB cable at different times.  Nothing works.  This is very frustrating, considering the drone was fine when I put it away (and literally has not been moved).

The drone starts fine and goes through a self check, the gimbal / camera moves around as normal.  From there, I get nothing.  I do, though, have rapidly flashing red, yellow, green lights.

Still frustrated.  
2021-4-5
Use props
JimDoss
lvl.1
Mexico

amferreira Posted at 4-5 03:59
Try to refresh the firmware with the DJI Assistant 2 on the PC.

Well, I finally got the software to recognize the drone.  I refreshed the firmware.  Nothing.  I downgraded the firmware.  Nothing.  I upgraded the firmware.  Still nothing.  The IMU calibration is very slow and times out at 14% (if it even gets that far).  

This is messed up.  I'm not happy with the quality of the Mavic Mini.
2021-4-5
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Hi Jim Doss!

I advise you to send it to DJI for evaluation.
I had a Mini and never experienced a single problem like you described.
But, with Mini 2 I had a problem (different one)  and DJI requested me to send the aircraft for evaluation.
DJI engineers' did an overall assessment and in fact when it was returned never experienced the same situation again.

Send the aircraft, because something is wrong.
DJI works very professionally and can solve the problem.
All the best!
2021-4-5
Use props
JimDoss
lvl.1
Mexico

Cients Posted at 4-5 13:27
Hi Jim Doss!

I advise you to send it to DJI for evaluation.

Thanks for your input.  I'm afraid sending it in might be my only option.  Sad, though, as this is the second Mini the F-ed up.  
2021-4-5
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

JimDoss Posted at 4-5 13:37
Thanks for your input.  I'm afraid sending it in might be my only option.  Sad, though, as this is the second Mini the F-ed up.

All the best for you JimDoss!
2021-4-5
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

JimDoss Posted at 4-5 11:23
Thank you (and to Stephen) for the info.  This is not working.  In fact, the drone is never recognized by the software.  I've installed it on two computers with the same result.  I've made sure I have the correct version and also am following the directions about restarting the drone and plugging it in within 20 seconds.  I've tried every combination of this procedure possible, restarted the app, restarted the PC, plugged in the USB cable at different times.  Nothing works.  This is very frustrating, considering the drone was fine when I put it away (and literally has not been moved).

The drone starts fine and goes through a self check, the gimbal / camera moves around as normal.  From there, I get nothing.  I do, though, have rapidly flashing red, yellow, green lights.

It seems that the drone has a problem that needs to be solved by DJI.
2021-4-6
Use props
JimDoss
lvl.1
Mexico

I wanted to post a follow up on this issue.  I ended up having to send the drone back to DJI for repair.  I emailed support several times before doing so.  As usual, DJI paid for shipping.  After looking over the drone, DJI decided it was defective and said they would be repairing it free-of-charge.  They were going to replace the IMU module.

I received the Mini back in the mail a couple days ago.  It appears to be an entirely different (new) drone.  All the stickers are applied like a new one and it arrived with propellers (mine were removed), and is very clean.  It simply looks new.  Also, I had accidently left the micro USB card installed in my drone.  This one had my card taped to the top.

So, well done DJI.  Thank you for the most excellent service!

I've yet to fly the drone.  I ended up buying a DJI Air 2S and and am considering selling the Mini Flymore combo to recoup some of the expense.  
2021-5-28
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Glad for the followup.  Have you flown it yet?
When I sent my Mini into DJI following a fairly minor crash, I also was impressed with the service.  In my case because it was a crash that I caused, I paid for the repair, but it was quite reasonable in my opinion.  Mine also came back with all indications that it was a replacement.
And yes, the Air 2S is really tempting!  Still waiting to see what the Mavic 3 Pro will bring to the table...
2021-5-29
Use props
JimDoss
lvl.1
Mexico

K6CCC Posted at 5-29 10:46
Glad for the followup.  Have you flown it yet?
When I sent my Mini into DJI following a fairly minor crash, I also was impressed with the service.  In my case because it was a crash that I caused, I paid for the repair, but it was quite reasonable in my opinion.  Mine also came back with all indications that it was a replacement.
And yes, the Air 2S is really tempting!  Still waiting to see what the Mavic 3 Pro will bring to the table...

I have not flown it.  In fact, I've yet to remove the factory stickers.  I'm considering selling it and it's probably worth more in "factory condition."
2021-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules