Color Yellow compared to Original
2387 16 2021-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UnhappyDan
lvl.2
United States

Long time DJI Osmo Pocket user.  We actual have 2 and use them all the time for the last few years.  Just got a Pocket 2 and did some compare footage only changing to 1080 60FPS (on both) and the Pocket 2 color looks washed out, almost yellow.  Both are on latest firmware and "normal" color.  Not sure if there is something worng with the new one or not. Video footage screen grabs below but also 1 min footage linked. Skin tones are mono compared to original pocket. I can share more footage if need be.  Kinda dissapointing... Is this normal?

Test Video

Original Osmo Pocket

Pocket 2

Thanks in advance
2021-4-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, UnhappyDan. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. We'd like to have a further look at the concern you have submitted. We strongly suggest uploading a copy of the original files from your other tests and have it uploaded either in DropBox or GoogleDrive. Please make sure to set the files to public so we can access them. Many thanks and kindly keep us updated.
2021-4-4
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

There appears to be more detail in the flower petals with your Pocket 2 but they are burnt out in the Pocket 1 footage.
2021-4-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Got to agree that the Pocket 2 color looks a bit washed out.  Hope you get it sorted out soon.
2021-4-5
Use props
northaal
lvl.4
United Kingdom

This is typical performance from the P2. The colours look a little faded (or washed out). This is a result of the wider exposure range the P2 can handle and still retain detail in the shadows and highlights - notice the detail in the sky and the flower petals. In the P1 (or Osmo Pocket) detail is lost and cannot be recovered. With the P2 footage, it is easy to add a bit of saturation and contrast to simulate the P1 results. Also modify the colour balance if you so wish.
2021-4-5
Use props
UnhappyDan
lvl.2
United States

northaal Posted at 4-5 09:42
This is typical performance from the P2. The colours look a little faded (or washed out). This is a result of the wider exposure range the P2 can handle and still retain detail in the shadows and highlights - notice the detail in the sky and the flower petals. In the P1 (or Osmo Pocket) detail is lost and cannot be recovered. With the P2 footage, it is easy to add a bit of saturation and contrast to simulate the P1 results. Also modify the colour balance if you so wish.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I agree that the Pocket 2 is much sharper, just odd that the color saturation is noticeably less real, and washed down.
@northaal  I assume you are meaning to bump the saturation in post? Yea, thought of that, just another step, and makes me second guess just staying with the original pocket and get some personal mics.
2021-4-5
Use props
UnhappyDan
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-4 23:31
Hi, UnhappyDan. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. We'd like to have a further look at the concern you have submitted. We strongly suggest uploading a copy of the original files from your other tests and have it uploaded either in DropBox or GoogleDrive. Please make sure to set the files to public so we can access them. Many thanks and kindly keep us updated.

Hi @DJI Gamora ,

See below the link to the files direct from the Osmos. I did a new test run this morning. Different weather today (thinking it may be better) but still not as rich and or as real as the original pocket shoots.   Although the blue sky was awesome when I panned up, but being in Seattle anytime you see that blue is good

Would very much like to understand what may be of issue or how to fix.   Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xishh ... -rGchiAmyxwGWa?dl=0

2021-4-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

UnhappyDan Posted at 4-5 14:29
Hi @DJI Gamora ,

See below the link to the files direct from the Osmos. I did a new test run this morning. Different weather today (thinking it may be better) but still not as rich and or as real as the original pocket shoots.   Although the blue sky was awesome when I panned up, but being in Seattle anytime you see that blue is good

Sorry for the delayed response but we appreciate your follow-up. This has been forwarded already to our assigned department for further checking. Should there be any update or further information that we'll need, we'll immediately let you know. Many thanks!
2021-4-7
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I did buy the DJI Pocket 2 at launch ad had great expectations, since I own the first Osmo Pocket and like it a lot.
I am still very disappointed with the Pocket 2 color profile, it has the artificial look of most of the modern phones' footage.
Last time I used it, I recorded with d-cinelike color profile and post corrected them, but the results are still bad.

I am waiting for a next firmware, hoping in a decent color profile, if not I'll sell it and goodbye.
2021-4-8
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I'd like to add that, up to now, I cannot find a default way to post-customize Pocket 2 colors.
Sometimes are too saturated, sometimes needs a lot of contrast, sometimes the white balance is way too blue, sometimes a way too yellow.
It is getting me mad.
2021-4-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi @DJI Gamora ,

Hi, there. Can you please DM the Serial Number of your DJI Pocket 2? Also, please confirm if the videos are taken under Pro-Mode or not. Thanks!
2021-4-14
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I just want to add a picture from my last usage of DJI Pocket 2.
It was a very sunny day, but the Auto exposure and Auto white balance (with Normal color profile) produced a weird bluish picture.

I can assure you the colors are completely wrong and I think it is easy to see.
2021-4-18
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Hi @DJI Gamora ,

taken from your videos:

Osmo Pocket shows much mode depth  and contrast, compared to the Pocket 2 which looks flat and fake.
2021-4-18
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This is an untouched frame grab from my P2.  1080/50.  No filter.  PRO mode on.

I'm quite happy with the result.
2021-4-19
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Italy

Your picture looks fine.
I don't say that Pocket 2 always produces bad results, but sometimes it produces messes, just like my picture, which is untouched as well.
2021-4-19
Use props
chririva
lvl.3

Poland

No one considers that osmo pocket 1 has a smaller field of view, and when the camera points at the bush it increases the brightness since it is darker, therefore burning the petals. In osmo pocket 2 with a larger field of view angle it seems to stay more underexposed than op1, probably because there is more sky framed.
(in the op1 you can see the petals are not burned when he is farer, but only when he get close enough)
I would repeat the test by locking the exposure in both cameras.

regarding photos, I'm using my old Galaxy s7 because it does better results honestly.
It's a pity that the bigger sensor doesn't bring any concrete benefit.
2021-4-20
Use props
UnhappyDan
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-14 23:29
Hi, there. Can you please DM the Serial Number of your DJI Pocket 2? Also, please confirm if the videos are taken under Pro-Mode or not. Thanks!

Done. Sent you direct.
2021-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules