how do you treat your battery?
1614 7 2015-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DMB2015
lvl.2

Canada

Curious as to how you guys/gals treat your battery(s).  For example. After you fly do you recharge right away (but after the cool down period) so the battery is good to go for the next time you fly, for example the next day or perhaps 2 or 3 days later. Or do you leave the battery after your flight to the point it has been discharged, say for example 10-20% and wait to charge it just before you next fly? I am not sure that it really makes a different either way, unless of course the battery is fully charged and you are not intending on using it for several days/weeks, then I understand it is best to discharge it to 30-50%.  The other obvious difference would be that if you don't charge it right away, then you have to wait the hour or so to charge it before you do want to fly. Anyway, just a curious question.
2015-7-15
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-7-15
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

SULTAN Posted at 2015-7-16 09:19
Back when I first got my P2 with the smart battery I was keeping my batteries charged even if I am n ...

If you don't mind me asking, I'm just curious, how did you determine that keeping your batteries charged was a bad thing to do?

Also, how did you determine that is it good for both you and the battery when you don't discharge below 20%?  Do you also disregard the recommended discharge to 8% every 20 charges?

Thanks
2015-7-16
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-7-16 21:06
If you don't mind me asking, I'm just curious, how did you determine that keeping your batteries c ...
According to this article from the Battery University, the way you treat your battery could determine whether it dies after 300 charges or lasts for 2500 charges or more . . .
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
2015-7-17
Use props
j3yps
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3402 ft
Philippines

Out of the box i charged it full, then used my P3P until the battery reached 50% then i charged the battery full again. I did this 10x this is how i "Break-In" my batts.
2015-7-17
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-7-17 23:56
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Thanks, that's awesome!

After reading everything there, though, I wonder if the battery life extension is worth all the effort.

Waiting for cool down is fairly easy to do.  Discharging only down to 20% (except for smarts resetting) seems doable.  But apparantly we still get 100s of cycles without doing any of these things.

The article talked about storing at full charge for a year.  P3 batts have built in discharge to 50% so that doesn't really matter.

I'd guess that temperature is most important.

Thanks again!
2015-7-17
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.2

United States

j3yps Posted at 2015-7-18 02:50
Out of the box i charged it full, then used my P3P until the battery reached 50% then i charged the  ...

Is this a personal preference or ritual? Or is there some science I can read behind this?

If I did this the wife would perpetuate her thought that I have OCD *grin*.
EDIT:

Ok I was curious because I have been using LiPOs since their inception in the R/C field - Land and Air. I had never read of this before.

Still I won't do it because of the finite life of LiPO batteries, I guess you could just go out and fly to 50% and recharge 10x.
2015-7-17
Use props
j3yps
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3402 ft
Philippines

Trilithon Posted at 2015-7-18 03:02
Is this a personal preference or ritual? Or is there some science I can read behind this?

If I di ...

I read a couple of people does this, and i just thought that its' not gonna do any harm.

2015-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules