Video file splitting - no longer a feature?
1833 6 2021-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Graydress
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I primarily use my Osmo Action for evidential purposes while cycling or horse riding and it is therefore set to loop recording. I have read that most action cameras split video files into chunks, usually at the 4GB point, presumably to help with download and editing. Old forum posts suggest that this was the case with the Osmo Action. However, when I try to transfer video from my camera onto my iPad for editing it seems to be a single file covering the whole capacity of the SD card and is therefore huge. As a result there is not enough memory on my iPad to transfer the video and I am unable to edit. Is the file splitting no longer a feature of the Osmo Action or am I doing something wrong?
2021-4-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Graydress. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try using a different suggested SD card on your DJI Osmo Action for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Just a reminder that if the SD Card is formatted, the SD card that is less than or equal to 32GB should be formatted in to the FAT32 file system while the SD card that is larger thank 32GB should be formatted in to exFAT file system. Thank you.

2021-4-6
Use props
Graydress
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Stephen.Thanks for the quick reply. I’m using a Sandisk Extreme 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC1 card. When I format the card in the camera I’m not given any option of a file system before selecting ‘OK’. The card just formats.
2021-4-6
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

You will probably find if you put the card into a computer it is in 4gb chunks but because it’s one continues recording file the iPad treats it as such no matter how many chunks it is as it just ignores the splits.
2021-4-7
Use props
Graydress
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 4-7 03:59
You will probably find if you put the card into a computer it is in 4gb chunks but because it’s one continues recording file the iPad treats it as such no matter how many chunks it is as it just ignores the splits.

Thanks for your advice. I will give this a try.
2021-4-7
Use props
Graydress
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 4-7 03:59
You will probably find if you put the card into a computer it is in 4gb chunks but because it’s one continues recording file the iPad treats it as such no matter how many chunks it is as it just ignores the splits.

I tried this and the files are indeed split when viewed on the PC. Thanks for your help.
2021-4-8
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Graydress Posted at 4-8 11:18
I tried this and the files are indeed split when viewed on the PC. Thanks for your help.

No problem.
2021-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules