WHEN will Smart Controller FW be updated???
2364 23 2021-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wacko_66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 216778 ft
United Kingdom

Why is DJI not updating the Smart Controller FW, so that we have the latest versions of DJI Fly, Go, etc?

This is a premium product, which is being left behind.

I am an Apple fanboy, so have never really used Android.

Can someone point me at instructions to get up to the latest versions (assuming that the SC is on the latest v01.00.0880 release) from scratch, please?
2021-4-7
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

See:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-233474-1-1.html
Has support for DJI GO and FLYS. What issues are you having? Would recommend using Assistant 2 to reinstall. Instructions for installing are in link.

Don't see how being an Apple Fan Boy is relevant? I've 40 years computer experience. Wife recently got iPhone 11 and Apple Watch because son and nieces recommended. We spent hours trying to figure out how to use. So much for Android/Apple being intuitive.
2021-4-7
Use props
Wacko_66
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Marty Markoe Posted at 4-7 03:17
See:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-233474-1-1.html
Has support for DJI GO and FLYS. What issues are you having? Would recommend using Assistant 2 to reinstall. Instructions for installing are in link.

The issue I'm having is that the SC FW isn't keeping up with the versions of DJI Fly (specifically - v1.2.2 vs v1.3.1).

The Apple fanboy reference is the background to me knowing squat about Android, and therefore having no idea where to start with side loading the latest versions, or if that's even possible.
2021-4-7
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Wacko_66 Posted at 4-7 03:50
The issue I'm having is that the SC FW isn't keeping up with the versions of DJI Fly (specifically - v1.2.2 vs v1.3.1).

The Apple fanboy reference is the background to me knowing squat about Android, and therefore having no idea where to start with side loading the latest versions, or if that's even possible.

DJI Fly –> Profile –> Settings –> Info –> Check for Update (with me 1.3.0)
Go 4 should be 4.3.42
2021-4-7
Use props
Wacko_66
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DaMa Posted at 4-7 04:36
DJI Fly –> Profile –> Settings –> Info –> Check for Update (with me 1.3.0)
Go 4 should be 4.3.42

I'm fine as far as Settings, but then have no Info option...
2021-4-7
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

The older versions of Fly do not self update, but the newer ones do.

From the Smart Controller, go here: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly and download the latest Fly App.

After that, you can use the steps above to update.
2021-4-7
Use props
FloridaNext
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

OR:

Go to the link JEZ2 mentioned in his post. Download the .apk file on a SD card.

Stick the SD card in your Smart Controller.

On the SC start screen tap on the circle with the four squares in the right lower corner.

Open the file manager and choose SD card (there is internal memory and SD card choice on the lower bottom).

Find the downloaded .apk file (should be on the root directory anyway).

Tap on this file and choose "yes" when you get the install it or not question.

Wait till the update process has been completed (takes a few seconds).

Reboot - that's it.

PS: If you need the latest Android GO 4 app go here https://www.dji.com/de/downloads/djiapp/dji-go-4 and do the same steps shown above again.

2021-4-7
Use props
shitforbrains
lvl.1

United States

it says it isn't campatible with the the smart controler.
2021-4-7
Use props
FloridaNext
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

At least the GO 4 App is. Don't know about the DJI-Fly App, though.
2021-4-7
Use props
Wacko_66
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Can anyone confirm that this version of DJI Fly works?
2021-4-7
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Wacko_66 Posted at 4-7 09:27
Can anyone confirm that this version of DJI Fly works?

As I know only 1.2.0 is not compatible. 1.3.0 works fine for me.
2021-4-7
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You would expect a 'premium product' to have better support than this, rather than having the owners to go through all these 'trial and error' nonsense  themselves. In fact, DJI won't even officially document which version is supported. If your drone falls from the sky and kill someone due to software/firmware incompatibility, then you better make sure you get yourself a very good lawyer because you are going to be on your own. The actual product might be PREMIUM, but the after sales support is POOR
2021-4-7
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Monkey007 Posted at 4-7 13:19
You would expect a 'premium product' to have better support than this, rather than having the owners to go through all these 'trial and error' nonsense  themselves. In fact, DJI won't even officially document which version is supported. If your drone falls from the sky and kill someone due to software/firmware incompatibility, then you better make sure you get yourself a very good lawyer because you are going to be on your own. The actual product might be PREMIUM, but the after sales support is POOR

The product was premium. Its as though they took all the money and abandoned any usable upgrades.
Pretty sure it used to show the smart controller under our avatar for those that had one. Even that is not there any more. Super dissapointing to invest into the smart controller and no solid upgrades to the software.
2021-4-8
Use props
stavai
lvl.2
Greece

I'm in 1.2.2
Finally it can be implemented with the smart controller. version 1.3.0

2021-4-8
Use props
stavai
lvl.2
Greece

DaMa Posted at 4-7 11:13
As I know only 1.2.0 is not compatible. 1.3.0 works fine for me.

Let me confirm too. Version 1.3.0. can be applied with the smart controller. I downloaded the .apk file to SD card. I installed the .apk file and OK
2021-4-8
Use props
bhagmeister
lvl.1
United States

Purchased MA2 + Smart Controller combo a couple of weeks ago. At present, the installed DJI Fly app is at v1.2.2. A check on the Apple app stores shows v1.3.1. For some reason, I cannot locate the DJI Fly app on the Google Play Store. On the DJI web site, there is a note under the DJI Fly download page for v1.3.1: “To use DJI Fly on DJI Smart Controller, pleased download an earlier version of DJI Fly. DJI is working to release a new version of DJY Fly that is compatible with DJI Smart Controller as soon as possible.”
2021-4-8
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

bhagmeister Posted at 4-8 11:19
Purchased MA2 + Smart Controller combo a couple of weeks ago. At present, the installed DJI Fly app is at v1.2.2. A check on the Apple app stores shows v1.3.1. For some reason, I cannot locate the DJI Fly app on the Google Play Store. On the DJI web site, there is a note under the DJI Fly download page for v1.3.1: “To use DJI Fly on DJI Smart Controller, pleased download an earlier version of DJI Fly. DJI is working to release a new version of DJY Fly that is compatible with DJI Smart Controller as soon as possible.”

see #7  above.
2021-4-8
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

so i have a question not about what works but what dji is directing.

when i read this:

* DJI Fly v1.2.0 is not compatible with DJI Smart Controller. To use DJI Fly on DJI Smart Controller, please download an earlier version of DJI Fly. DJI is working to release a new version of DJI Fly that is compatible with DJI Smart Controller as soon as possible.

does that mean 1.3.1 is recommended and approved by dji for use with the smart controller only they haven't bothered to release a new fw update, correct?

what am i getting at?  we all know how to jack an apk into our devices but what risks do you run when you use an apk that has been sideloaded and you have a crash?
2021-4-8
Use props
stabo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 692812 ft

Slovakia

The Saint Posted at 4-8 14:03
so i have a question not about what works but what dji is directing.

when i read this:

Smart controller range
I have the latest version of the Smart controller v01.00.0880 and sometimes I have a problem with the short range of MAVIC AIR 2. and I do not understand why the antennas are in the right direction.
I read so the original controller has more range.
  see photo
2021-4-9
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
United States

stabo Posted at 4-9 08:47
Smart controller range
I have the latest version of the Smart controller v01.00.0880 and sometimes I have a problem with the short range of MAVIC AIR 2. and I do not understand why the antennas are in the right direction.
I read so the original controller has more range.

I have noticed the same issue poor range with the smart controller and MA2. Previously with the standard remote I could fly considerably way further than I can with the SC. This happened after the last SC firmware upgrade if you can call it that.
2021-4-10
Use props
stabo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 692812 ft

Slovakia

Visual Air Posted at 4-10 06:32
I have noticed the same issue poor range with the smart controller and MA2. Previously with the standard remote I could fly considerably way further than I can with the SC. This happened after the last SC firmware upgrade if you can call it that.

I would like to know if DJI is interested in solving the problem or just doing nothing.Now I have to use yagi antennas for better signal. SC is very expensive and I am disappointed that it has worse results than other devices

signal-SC.JPG
2021-4-10
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Sorted! Update available now
2021-4-15
Use props
Wacko_66
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Awesome! Updating now. Does this mean that we now have the self-updating version of Fly installed?
2021-4-15
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Wacko_66 Posted at 4-15 12:43
Awesome! Updating now. Does this mean that we now have the self-updating version of Fly installed?

the latest fly app (v1.4.0) is installed anyway for compatibility with the Air 2s. Will have to see if it updates in the future.
As for the DJI Go 4 app the version is officially v4.3.38, while I manually installed v4.3.42, which was not removed after upgrading the firmware.

Date: 2021.04.15
    Smart Controller Firmware: V01.01.0040
    DJI GO 4 App: V4.3.38
    DJI Pilot App:  V2.3.1.5
    DJI Fly App: V1.4.0
    DJI Assistant 2: DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.14
2021-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules