My drone did a Flyaway on its own - DJI won't honor anything...
667 27 2021-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

So I was flying my mini when I got a yellow altitude warning....I was only about 10 ft. in the air.  I stopped moving it...but the drone kept going.  It flew about 10 more seconds on its own and right into a rock wall, then into icy waters underneath.  I was told it was pilot error.  I was also told if I retrieved it, my refresh would be honored but because I didn't go risk my life swimming in deep icy water, they would offer me a discount...but won't even say how much the discount would even be....

It was certainly not a pilot error as I extremely careful with this drone.  I'm also new so any error I see whether wind or anything else I return it... But this just went away on its own.  Now I'm having trouble getting an answer from DJI altogher.  It's now goin on 19 days.  Anyone else have a similar story, and how did it get resolved..... I'm tired of chasing my tail.

I would love to get a drone back....  Anyone????
2021-4-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

The only way to get advice and help is to upload your flightlog, use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the upload link on here. Or just put a cloud-link to your flightlog.txt.
cheers
JJB
2021-4-7
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

JJB* Posted at 4-7 09:32
Hi,

The only way to get advice and help is to upload your flightlog, use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I'm also wondering how to deal with DJI as they have stalled on giving me a decent answer and solution to a replacement.  3 weeks later and they have said they will talk to me later....
2021-4-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

chefMark Posted at 4-7 15:52
I'm also wondering how to deal with DJI as they have stalled on giving me a decent answer and solution to a replacement.  3 weeks later and they have said they will talk to me later....

Post flight data if you want anyone to help you.
That's the only way to find out what actually happened.
2021-4-7
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

As the two more knowledgeable members than I who have already replied above, post the flight log. That may serve as evidence in your favor...or may not. It's definately worth a shot. Some members here have apparently had some success doing that.
2021-4-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB* and Labroides are both super good at analyzing flight data.  Maybe they will find something that will help you in your claim with DJI.  If not, at least they can tell you what went wrong and what to avoid in the future.   Best of luck getting your situation resolved.
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

Hi,

The only way to get advice and help is to upload your flightlog, use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/EHJSBBRE9TDI90C5VQ0W
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 4-7 17:05
Post flight data if you want anyone to help you.
That's the only way to find out what actually happened.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/EHJSBBRE9TDI90C5VQ0W
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

Hi,

This is my flight log.  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5OSR1H0C0ZLH07K3LW9V

I have video of the flight itself.  I had GPS...takeoff was permitted.  Upon looking into other flight logs, I have noticed there's correct data.  However, the last one was somewhere in an island off of Africa.  I was in NY.  

For reference, here's another flight log https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/DZW89S4U8AQY8IPKT7DC/

Thoughts?
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

I'm also wondering how to deal with DJI as they have stalled on giving me a decent answer and solution to a replacement.  3 weeks later and they have said they will talk to me later....

2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

Screenshot_20210408-101633.jpg
Screenshot_20210408-101649.jpg
Screenshot_20210408-101653.jpg
Screenshot_20210408-101655.jpg
Screenshot_20210408-101704.jpg
Screenshot_20210408-101709.jpg
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

chefMark Posted at 4-8 06:18
[Image]

Screenshot_20210408-101709.jpg
Screenshot_20210408-101713.jpg
2021-4-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Mark,

This flight was without any GPS, zero satellites!
So your flight was in OPTI and ATTI mode as well.
Because of the missing GPS no speed data is recorded in the log.

OPTI was 'cancelled' due to low light conditions, see the msg "Lighting environment too dark. Visual positioning inaccurate. Fly with caution"

Hard to tell exactly what happend, but reading your story...at the end in ATTI mode so no braking at all.
To stop a motion you need to give opposite inputs, wich you did not commanded.

It is possible to take-off without enough or zero satellites ; with enough light OPTI mode in place, height is limited but flight is stabilized by the downward sensor.
But if you loose OPTI than ATTI ; wich is hard to fly, for sure if you do no expect this to happen of no ATTI flight experience...Sorry for your loss, it is just a pilot 'error', well just not enough knowledge and you did not perform a proper pre flight check and after take-off checks.
cheers
JJB

analysis3.png
analysis4.png
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

JJB* Posted at 4-8 06:36
Hi Mark,

This flight was without any GPS, zero satellites!

So.  What happened was I waited for GPS to take off.  When it said I had GPS, I raised it off the landing pad and moved it above a body of water.  I noticed that 1st yellow notification and took my hands off the remote.  You can see I went from P mode to C mode.  The entire time I was flying it I had no video of it on my actual phone.  It comes up as a broken file.  I did switch phones from a s8+ to the s21 ultra.... I did notice that the prior phone makes the GPS work fine and the flight log looked ok.  However, every flight with my s21 never made a video on the phone itself.  It did say on the screen that GPS was there and i never send it up without the "takeoff permitted" sign.  Thank you for responding.... I appreciate you trying to help.  Have you heard of anything with a change of phone?  I am in NY and was at the time of flight...not off the coast of Africa - although I wouldn't have minded that....  thanks..mark
2021-4-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

chefMark Posted at 4-8 06:44
So.  What happened was I waited for GPS to take off.  When it said I had GPS, I raised it off the landing pad and moved it above a body of water.  I noticed that 1st yellow notification and took my hands off the remote.  You can see I went from P mode to C mode.  The entire time I was flying it I had no video of it on my actual phone.  It comes up as a broken file.  I did switch phones from a s8+ to the s21 ultra.... I did notice that the prior phone makes the GPS work fine and the flight log looked ok.  However, every flight with my s21 never made a video on the phone itself.  It did say on the screen that GPS was there and i never send it up without the "takeoff permitted" sign.  Thank you for responding.... I appreciate you trying to help.  Have you heard of anything with a change of phone?  I am in NY and was at the time of flight...not off the coast of Africa - although I wouldn't have minded that....  thanks..mark

Hi MArk,

Your what did happen is not seen in the log, no GPS at start and during flight.

I always fly with a screen recorder active, so i can replay the FlyApp screen and see all the things i missed ect.

No switching P > C in the log.

A good tip for your next flights, after getting a new  Mini2.

cheers
JJB
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

JJB* Posted at 4-8 06:51
Hi MArk,

Your what did happen is not seen in the log, no GPS at start and during flight.

That's the crazy thing... If you look at the pics...i have a video of the entire thing... Nothing else... I did change from p to c.   I don't know why there's no video log... There always used to be untilcl I switched my phone... Could that be the case?  
2021-4-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

chefMark Posted at 4-8 07:38
That's the crazy thing... If you look at the pics...i have a video of the entire thing... Nothing else... I did change from p to c.   I don't know why there's no video log... There always used to be untilcl I switched my phone... Could that be the case?

well, to be true   the 'flight-video' in the fly app does not always have the correct info, OPTI and ATTI is often incorrect.  Guess the same for switching mode.
Switching beween modes for your drone is only possible in a GPS mode, as in your flight no GPS lock ; switching mode have no effect on the actual mode of your Mini2

Flight time in the log  = 55 seconds, last record written in the log at 55 secs. Your screen shots do end bit later ofcourse, so it is the correct flight and log.

Another reason for me to always fly with a active screen recording!

cheers
JJB
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

As you can see in the screenshots, I was in pmode, then saw a notification and immediately changed to c mode.  I 100 percent am certain that I had GPS.   No question.  It said takeodf permitted... Then halfway through flight it said GPS signal weak..... So how can I have a notification that said signal weak if there was none?   Don't you think there was a software issue that malfunctioned?   It all doesn't add up.   I have used this drone without any issue up until then.
2021-4-8
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Even if you did have GPS lock (opti and ATTI is only to be seen from files, no GPS) and you heard the voice say "Home point has been recorded, please check it on the map", and you then take off, if you fly into a "GPS shadow", like close to a wall, buildings and yes, even trees, you can be dropped into ATTI mode, and it could seem like what happend to you.
But in the end, looks like you took off either to soon before waiting GPS lock,

2021-4-8
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can tell when you have no GPS by the map view. If it puts you into the Gulf of Guinea off the African coast, it means 0 Latitude, 0 Longitude....a problem unless you are actually there ;-)

I had a similar experience a few weeks after buying my first Mini. Took off in a hurry at night and the Mini drifted across the alley and "crashed" into a bush before I knew what was happening. No damage in my case, but a good lesson was learned.

2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

Flycaster Posted at 4-8 10:40
Even if you did have GPS lock (opti and ATTI is only to be seen from files, no GPS) and you heard the voice say "Home point has been recorded, please check it on the map", and you then take off, if you fly into a "GPS shadow", like close to a wall, buildings and yes, even trees, you can be dropped into ATTI mode, and it could seem like what happend to you.
But in the end, looks like you took off either to soon before waiting GPS lock,

This may be possible... Nice to know this piece of info... Thank you.  Now if dji will ever call me back to offer me a price on a replacement I can fly again.....  It's going on 20 days without them giving me a resolution.
2021-4-8
Use props
sgtdaniels86
New
United States

wow this is crazy
2021-4-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

chefMark Posted at 4-8 08:09
As you can see in the screenshots, I was in pmode, then saw a notification and immediately changed to c mode.  I 100 percent am certain that I had GPS.   No question.  It said takeodf permitted... Then halfway through flight it said GPS signal weak..... So how can I have a notification that said signal weak if there was none?   Don't you think there was a software issue that malfunctioned?   It all doesn't add up.   I have used this drone without any issue up until then.

Mark,

One of the first meassages in the log is Max Height Reached! (98ft)  this height limitations is only seen when drone is in OPTI mode bc no or not enough satellites.
In your flight ZERO sats.

And the replay flight video is incorrect, so your screenshots doesn`t reflect the reality.

The message GPS signal weak ; correct message : zero sats. DJI should mayby changed this message into No GPS signal at all....
cheers
JJB
2021-4-8
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

Yea.. Here's the thing... I'm new at this.   I take baby steps.  I see an issue.. I stop the drone.  Too much wind?  Bring it back... I could have had such great footage in the places I've gone... But I'm scared to lose it.   I lost it anyway.

Now dji is not playing nice.   The drone footage is the only thing I am going by because it is what I see on the screen... I saw takeoff permitted.  I didn't see GPS signal weak until halfway through the video... In which I stopped in mid flight to wait.   I'll learn from this.  I just feel kinda had because I haven't had GPS apparently for 2 months.   I flew successful flights with video with no log.  I have the video.  I also have the log shock days im in Africa at 0,0.   But I didn't see that.  I saw takeoff permitted.... And nothing else.
2021-4-9
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

That says, not shock days..  Sorry... I'm trying to quickly post this on my phone.   Cheers.
2021-4-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

chefMark Posted at 4-9 03:23
Yea.. Here's the thing... I'm new at this.   I take baby steps.  I see an issue.. I stop the drone.  Too much wind?  Bring it back... I could have had such great footage in the places I've gone... But I'm scared to lose it.   I lost it anyway.

Now dji is not playing nice.   The drone footage is the only thing I am going by because it is what I see on the screen... I saw takeoff permitted.  I didn't see GPS signal weak until halfway through the video... In which I stopped in mid flight to wait.   I'll learn from this.  I just feel kinda had because I haven't had GPS apparently for 2 months.   I flew successful flights with video with no log.  I have the video.  I also have the log shock days im in Africa at 0,0.   But I didn't see that.  I saw takeoff permitted.... And nothing else.

I didn't see GPS signal weak until halfway through the video.
With experience you would have noticed that a home point had never been recorded.
You'd have noticed that there was no distance showing on the screen because there was no homepoint to measures distance from.
Where were you flying?
Was it a spot where the drone's sky view was blocked by buildings, terrain, tree cover etc ... or was it out in the open?

I just feel kinda had because I haven't had GPS apparently for 2 months.

You would have noticed in less than 10 minutes if you had no GPS.
The drone would have had no brakes and would have been tricky to control.

I saw takeoff permitted....
Takeoff was permitted because the drone had VPS to provide position holding.
But a little later, it was too dark for VPS to provide that stability and the drone was left in atti mode.
2021-4-9
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

There were no brakes!  Yes.. I didn't know I needed a home point... Thought that once it said takeoff permitted, then I was good to go.   I'll know for next time, but dji won't contact me back.
2021-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules