Pocket 2 Face and object tracking issue
10256 36 2021-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52313 ft
United States

The Pocket 2 has a major Face and Object tracking issue. Yes, I have the latest firmware upgrade.
I just made a YouTube video about the Tracking issue and compared it to the Osmo Pocket (1). Watch also the conclusions at the end.
Check it out and I hope you guys have a fix for it  as I LOVE Pocket 1 and there is a lot of good things going for Pocket 2.

2021-4-8
Use props
Mgozer
lvl.4
Switzerland

that's a known issue.
I bet DJI is working hard on making it better.
2021-4-9
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I wonder if your hat and dark glassed are confusing the P2 especially as the lens is wider.
2021-4-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I foound that when using high quality recording it is always better on OP.  Hopefully, I'm betting DJI could tweak some software settings and fix this on Pocket 2.   
2021-4-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Markus Kaeppeli. Thanks for reaching out and posting your findings. Our apologies to read about the difficulties you're having and we have already reported this to our team for further checking. We will keep you updated should we received an update or further information is required to verify the issue.
2021-4-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Markus Kaeppeli. We just received an update from our team and confirmed that the tracking function will be optimized in the next firmware version. We thank you for forwarding your feedback to us.
2021-4-14
Use props
Yayoastur
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-14 23:31
Hi, Markus Kaeppeli. We just received an update from our team and confirmed that the tracking function will be optimized in the next firmware version. We thank you for forwarding your feedback to us.

Great news!!!
2021-4-15
Use props
chririva
lvl.3

Poland

Should be easier to keep the tracking as the lens has a wider fov (for my own experience at school, i had project involving face tracking few years ago).
The problem of hats and glasses is long gone. There are techniques to find partially hidden faces. There are no excuses to not be able to make it work.
I can also see that the camera movements are crazy and not smooth.

2021-4-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I don't know about whether it's easy to implement well or not, but it's odd DJI didn't get it right on this device - so far - given that they seem to have been the world leader in face and object tracking in drones.  Maybe someone vital left the company.
2021-4-16
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

Mgozer Posted at 4-9 02:37
that's a known issue.
I bet DJI is working hard on making it better.

Let's hope so!
2021-4-18
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

John Walker Posted at 4-9 04:03
I wonder if your hat and dark glassed are confusing the P2 especially as the lens is wider.

Maybe, but then in lower video quality it is much better, and on other DJI devices that is not an issue. I think has to do with data processing... something that could be fixed via firmware update.
2021-4-18
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

Amazing! Looking forward to testing it out again.  Thanks.
2021-4-18
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

chririva Posted at 4-16 06:22
Should be easier to keep the tracking as the lens has a wider fov (for my own experience at school, i had project involving face tracking few years ago).
The problem of hats and glasses is long gone. There are techniques to find partially hidden faces. There are no excuses to not be able to make it work.
I can also see that the camera movements are crazy and not smooth.

I agree. Yep, P2 moves around like crazy, trying to find the subject again. Looks very much like data processing issues.
2021-4-18
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 4-16 14:19
I don't know about whether it's easy to implement well or not, but it's odd DJI didn't get it right on this device - so far - given that they seem to have been the world leader in face and object tracking in drones.  Maybe someone vital left the company.

Yep, if you look at some of their other products, like the Mavic line or even the Osmo Pocket, it seems they know what they are doing.... I just hope the processor is fast enough to process the data and a firmware update is all that is needed..... and that is on the way according to DJI Gamora
2021-4-18
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

DJI, any news?
2021-5-14
Use props
djiuser_NtehCobtEfum
lvl.2
United States

John Walker Posted at 4-9 04:03

I have the same problem, no hat nor sunglasses, Caucasian complexion, broad daylight, indoors our out, it doesn't matter, the tracking of the Pocket 2 is trash, worse, once it loses tracking it will no longer automatically pick up your face, so if you intend to do anything other than walk around with it at arms length, say you want to do an exercise video and you put it down and it breaks tracking (it will break tracking even if you try to assist it by staring into the camera awkwardly while youre trying to exercise) you will need to stop what youre doing and press the button on it to force it to readjust forward view (I forgot the terminology, sorry, not thrilled with the product). Also, if you lose the windscreen from the Creator Combo as I and countless others have, DJI do not offer a replacement for sale.

[New reminder]Replacement Wireless Mic Windscreen? | DJI FORUM
2021-6-2
Use props
djiuser_ezs7rkJvJs0t
lvl.1

Switzerland

I just had a chat with DJI, they still do as if it is no issue at all, even though I'v sent them multiple videos from different people showing the issue.
As I've saw in mutiple videos, the issue mainly appears in the High image profile only. So my guess is, that the processor is simply to slow to do both: Processing the higher image quality + active tracking.
That then again means, that the issue can't really be fixed by a firmware upgrade (only by small amounts when optimizing the code a bit) as it is a hardware issue.

Below the chat (sorry it is in German):
System
Guten Tag und willkommen bei DJI Support!

Leon
Guten Tag, was kann ich für Sie tun?

Me:
Guten Tag

Leon
Guten Tag.

Me:
Wird das Active Tracking vom Pocket 2 bald korrigiert?

Leon
Tut mir leid, haben Sie irgendwelches Problem mit dem ActiveTrack getroffen?

Me:
Ja, also alle User haben ja die Probleme?
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=239825 z.B.
Mit Qualität "High" funktioniert es wirklich sehr sehr schlecht

Leon
Es tut mir leid von dem Problem zu hören. Ich schaue mal rein, einen Augenblick bitte.

Me:
Ich hoffe es ist nur ein Firmware Problem, es sieht aber eher so aus als könnte der Prozessor nicht die Hohe Bildqualität + das Active Tracking genügend schnell machen

Leon
Verstehe. Haben Sie solches Problem auch getroffen?

Me:
Ja
Bis jetzt schafft es der Pocket 2 nicht länger als 20 Sekunden das Gesicht in der Mitte zu halten.
Dazu gibt es ja auch dutzende Videos auf Youtube die genau das gleiche Problem nennen.
Mit Active Tracking aktiviert schwankt die Kamera aber mal hoch und runter OHNE das ich mich bewege

Leon
Darf ich die Seriennummer Ihres Geräts haben?

Me:
Erneut: Es sind alle Kameras betroffen

Leon
OK, darf ich die Seriennummer Ihres Geräts haben? Ich würde gerne die Infos für Sie prüfen.

Me:
Nein
Es ist ja schon ein Ersatzgerät, das Problem besteht weiterhin

Leon
Ersatzgerät sollte auch eine Seriennummer haben, wenn Sie diese dabei hätten, bitte teilen Sie mir diese mit, ich würde gerne die infos für Sie prüfen.

Me:
Ich habe es nicht bei mir

Leon
Ok. Oder wo haben Sie das Ersatzgerät erhalten?

Me:
Vom Händler hier in der Schweiz
Dieser hatte bereits einige Kunden mit dem gleichen Problem, er gab mir ein Ersatzgerät meinte aber es werde vermutlich nichts bringen, es sei vermutlich ein Hardware Problem

Leon
Ok. Verstehe. Haben Sie die Firmware des Geräts aktualisiert?

Me:
Ja ist die aktuellste Version
(ausser es sei seit gestern eine neuere Version erschienen)

Leon
OK.

Leon
Würden Sie bitte ein kurzes Video von Ihrem Gerät aufnehmen? also im ActiveTrack

Me:
https://youtu.be/YonXzudl3QA?t=132
Hier auf der rechten Seite (2:12-2:15 schauen, dann sehen sie es)

Leon
Ok, ist das Video von Ihnen aufgenommen?

Me:
Kommt das darauf an?

Leon
Zur weiteren Prüfung brauchen wir ein Video von Ihrem Gerät.

Me:
Es sind ALLE Geräte betroffen
Es ist komplett egal ob es mein Gerät ist.
(es verstösst ja schon gegen die Datenschutzrechte in Europa, dass man sich zwingend registrieren muss)

Leon
Einen Augenblick bitte, ich hole mal unser Testgerät ab und mal testen.

Leon
Darf ich mal fragen, welche SD-Karte verwenden Sie?

Me:
Eine SanDisk Ultra 128GB
Ah nein, Extreme Pro heisst die

Leon
Ok.

Leon
Und haben Sie die SD Karte in "exFAT" Format formartiert?

Me:
Korrekt, ja

Leon
OK.

Leon
In diesem Fall würde ich Ihnen empfehlen, das Gerät an uns zur weiteren Prüfung / Reparatur einzusenden. Unsere Techniker werden das Gerät dann genau überprüfen.

Leon
https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
Hier können Sie eine Reparaturanfrage erstellen und die Anweisungen befolgen.

Me:
Weitere mit den Problemen:
https://youtu.be/RpWfBafzuwQ?t=178
https://youtu.be/PSsugktrhu8?t=515
https://youtu.be/k3eUCNjdYIE?t=340
Das ist bei allen Geräten, was soll da eine Reparatur bringen?
OK in dem Fall werde ich den Pocket 2 einfach zurückgeben, ich sehe, dass DJI hier den Kunden wirklich nicht wahr nimmt

Leon
Ich habe leider das Video von Ihrem Gerät noch nicht erhalten, deswegen kann ich Ihnen leider nur empfehlen, das Gerät an uns einzusenden.

Me:
Erneut:
Es liegt NICHT an meinem Gerät
Es sind sämtliche Geräte betroffen die wir beim Händler getestet haben.

Leon
Wenn Sie das Gerät zurückgeben möchten, bitte teilen Sie mir die Seriennummer Ihres Geräts mit, damit ich die Infos für Sie prüfen könnte.

Me:
Auch findet man ja im Internet dutzende Berichte dazu bei dem jeweils wieder dutzende vermelden, dass sie das gleiche Problem haben.
Meine Annahme: Es ist ein Hardware Problem (zu langsamer Prozessor für hohe Bildqualität + Tracking

Leon
Wenn Ihr Gerät innerhalb der Rückgabefrist wäre, dann können Sie sich an Ihren Händler wegen der Rückgaberichtlinien wenden.

Me:
Und natürlich will DJI das nicht eingestehen und stattdessen weitere 2er Modelle verkaufen um dann irgendwann in einer 3. Version das Problem zu beheben.
Mein Händler nimmt es noch zurück, ja
Er hat inzwischen den Pocket 2 auch aus dem Sortiment genommen weil gut 1/3 der Geräte zurückgebracht wurde.

Leon
Es tut mir sehr leid davon zu hören.
2021-7-6
Use props
djiuser_ezs7rkJvJs0t
lvl.1

Switzerland

Your post is now nearly 3 months old => Any update?
2021-7-6
Use props
djiuser_ezs7rkJvJs0t
lvl.1

Switzerland

From the chat it looks like a "lets ignore it"
2021-7-6
Use props
alexmbraMav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

Really DJI?  Are you going to pretend that activetrack is working fine?
2021-7-6
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I have seen two Pocket 2 devices including my own and both have this FaceTracking issue when shooting higher resolutions. The more fancy things like High Quality mode even worse it is. CPU can't handle it.

At the moment the product is like no FaceTracking at all. It makes life easier just not to use FaceTrack when doing vlogs.
2021-7-6
Use props
fansc8b11528
lvl.2
Germany

Whats up, DJI? I have the same Problem - why you cant fix it? When is the Next Update is coming??
2021-7-7
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Dave just posted a new video. An example of FaceTrack 0.3 problems. For me it happens 90% of the time so I stopped using it long time ago. Totally useless.

Start time 3:50.

2021-7-9
Use props
djiuser_NtehCobtEfum
lvl.2
United States

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-9 09:30
Dave just posted a new video. An example of FaceTrack 0.3 problems. For me it happens 90% of the time so I stopped using it long time ago. Totally useless.

Same here, the tracking is so bad, there have been so many times where it will break tracking for no reason at all and it will frustrate me and basically ruin my vlog and whatever I was talking about so I too just stopped using it. I think I'm going to put it up on ebay, I don't think DJI will ever fix the tracking issue. They just released a white version, same old firmware, no fix to the tracking problem. Extremely disappointed with this product and I will not purchase another one like it from this company. Whoever released it in this state should be fired immediately.
2021-7-11
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_NtehCobtEfum Posted at 6-2 07:26
I have the same problem, no hat nor sunglasses, Caucasian complexion, broad daylight, indoors our out, it doesn't matter, the tracking of the Pocket 2 is trash, worse, once it loses tracking it will no longer automatically pick up your face, so if you intend to do anything other than walk around with it at arms length, say you want to do an exercise video and you put it down and it breaks tracking (it will break tracking even if you try to assist it by staring into the camera awkwardly while youre trying to exercise) you will need to stop what youre doing and press the button on it to force it to readjust forward view (I forgot the terminology, sorry, not thrilled with the product). Also, if you lose the windscreen from the Creator Combo as I and countless others have, DJI do not offer a replacement for sale.

[New reminder]Replacement Wireless Mic Windscreen? | DJI FORUM

Try to use Battery Saver mode, and not HQ... I will come out soon with a video about that and more.
2021-7-14
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_ezs7rkJvJs0t Posted at 7-6 02:11
I just had a chat with DJI, they still do as if it is no issue at all, even though I'v sent them multiple videos from different people showing the issue.
As I've saw in mutiple videos, the issue mainly appears in the High image profile only. So my guess is, that the processor is simply to slow to do both: Processing the higher image quality + active tracking.
That then again means, that the issue can't really be fixed by a firmware upgrade (only by small amounts when optimizing the code a bit) as it is a hardware issue.

Thanks for this German transcript.... I am Swiss ;-)
2021-7-14
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_ezs7rkJvJs0t Posted at 7-6 02:52
Your post is now nearly 3 months old => Any update?

Nope not yet.... but I have soon another video out with some workarounds and more. I will post it also on this thread.... there is hope..... maybe an almost no-issue, depending on usage...
2021-7-14
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-6 23:19
I have seen two Pocket 2 devices including my own and both have this FaceTracking issue when shooting higher resolutions. The more fancy things like High Quality mode even worse it is. CPU can't handle it.

At the moment the product is like no FaceTracking at all. It makes life easier just not to use FaceTrack when doing vlogs.

I saw several... actually all that I saw...
Just don't use HQ mode, use Battery Saver mode.... as for resolution.... it is not what the name suggests...
I will post later on my latest video about some workarounds  as well as a future video about that HQ mode... Stay tuned.
2021-7-14
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-9 09:30

Nice video from Dave. Thanks for sharing.
There is light at the end of the Tunnel. I will post soon more about that.
2021-7-14
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_NtehCobtEfum Posted at 7-11 22:35
Same here, the tracking is so bad, there have been so many times where it will break tracking for no reason at all and it will frustrate me and basically ruin my vlog and whatever I was talking about so I too just stopped using it. I think I'm going to put it up on ebay, I don't think DJI will ever fix the tracking issue. They just released a white version, same old firmware, no fix to the tracking problem. Extremely disappointed with this product and I will not purchase another one like it from this company. Whoever released it in this state should be fired immediately.

I agree, it is sad product.... if you need tracking... it all has to do with the HQ mode... too much rendering and the unit cannot keep up. If you search through these forum here you will see that HQ is not what most people think it is. I would suggest to give it a try with the Battery Saver mode... especially if you are doing your post-production on the computer anyway.
I will shortly post a video about possible workarounds and then also one about the HQ mode...
2021-7-14
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

My follow up video about FaceTrack and Active Track is ready! Check out some workaround that I use.
Another one about HQ and Battery Saver mode is coming soon.

2021-7-14
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Thanks for the effort.

The problem is.. If it is advertised then you don't need workaround. And that is the problem.

Imagine Xbox and you need to download hax or settings config setup file or add things using telnet to some dat files to play game. What?

If the device is made to do something. It will do those things.
2021-7-15
Use props
djiuser_NtehCobtEfum
lvl.2
United States

I believe the problem is that the processor in the Pocket 2 cannot handle tracking and no firmware update can fix this. Can we get a class action lawsuit going? The reason I bought this was for the face-tracking. If I wanted a normal camera I would just use my phone. I can't refund. This product does not work as advertised. Can we start a class action lawsuit?
2021-7-20
Use props
James3342
lvl.3
United States

Any updates?  Still have this issue......
2021-10-24
Use props
Game Start
lvl.3

United Kingdom

James3342 Posted at 10-24 18:52
Any updates?  Still have this issue......

They have pretty much abandoned this product. Almost a year & no Pocket 2 firmware updates. Be careful when thinking about buying future products.
2021-10-25
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Yeah, it is a pretty frustrating issue. A couple of things I noticed about it - it seems to work better when kept at 1080p, it really starts to struggle at 4K resolutions. Also, it seems to get lost easier when in darker environments.

I have kept it myself at FullHD level, HQ enabled, and for me, it works good enough (but certainly not perfectly). Haven't tested it in Battery saver mode with same settings, I'll have to test is sometime. Anyhow, I can certainly see some people getting disappointed with it when shooting at 4K.
2021-10-25
Use props
Markus Kaeppeli
lvl.2
United States

Finally, I was able to finish my High-Quality vs Battery-Saver mode video...
Check it out yourself, but quality-wise, you are much better off using Battery -Saver mode .... and as a bonus, Face and Object tracking is working... most of the time ;-)

2022-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules