FLY AWAY
1358 30 2021-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dooges
lvl.1
Australia

Hi All,

I am still a novice pilot, confidence being the main issue.

About a week after I bought this I had the AC hovering from auto take off in my back yard. Within a second it just took off in northeasterly direction and crashed into some trees. It did some minor damage to the props. That was about 4 months ago.

Today i lifted off manually from my back yard. I was on a covered varendah so i couldnt see the AC, my wife was watching from the yard. I was up about 50 m when the wife yelled out, where are you going? The AC just took off in a NE direction (coincidence?) at high speed my wife said. I immediately hit the home button but it would not respond because of wind alarm (there was no wind, it was dead calm) but it did stop, it had flown 179m by itself.

This has shaken my confidence to the bone. Has anyone had such an issue and is there a fix for it?
2021-4-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hi,

Best to get help and andvice is to upload your flightlog or logs.

use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the link(s) on here  or just put a cloud-link to the logs on here.

Always check the compass in the flyapp to see the heading of your drone, compare with the actual heading.
If not the same ; do not fly.

see this: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225017, check 37 sec in the video. (1.2.2 is bit different but the idea is the same ofcourse)

cheers
JJB

2021-4-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there evgenyd. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2. Since this unfortunate incident happened and you have lost the said drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.
2021-4-9
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 295161 ft
Germany

Are there many radio waves which can confuse your signal to the drone?
2021-4-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

MM Pilot Posted at 4-9 01:57

Radio waves won't ever "confuse" the signal of your drone and cause it to fly off.
At worst, they might swamp the signal, which would initiate RTH.
2021-4-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Has anyone had such an issue and is there a fix for it?
Unless we can find the cause of your incident, you won't get any useful advice.
The flight data is necessary to analyse your incident.

It sounds like it might have been a yaw error so it would be helpful if you can explain the surface you launched from.
2021-4-9
Use props
BaliSkies
lvl.3

Australia

Maybe its time you found yourself a new hobby. You seem quite accident prone when it comes to flying drones.
2021-4-9
Use props
dooges
lvl.1
Australia

BaliSkies Posted at 4-9 14:21
Maybe its time you found yourself a new hobby. You seem quite accident prone when it comes to flying drones.

I didn't think there would be unhelpful morons on this forum, if you can't offer some relevant advice then don't comment
2021-4-9
Use props
dooges
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-9 01:22
Hello there evgenyd. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2. Since this unfortunate incident happened and you have lost the said drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.

Hi, I did not lose the AC, luckily it was at a height where it avoided any obstacles otherwise I would have lost it
2021-4-9
Use props
dooges
lvl.1
Australia

JJB* Posted at 4-9 00:36
hi,

Best to get help and andvice is to upload your flightlog or logs.

Hi,

I have downloaded the flight log but I cant read it. Where do I upload to and will I get a response?

Thanks
2021-4-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

dooges Posted at 4-9 16:16
Hi,

I have downloaded the flight log but I cant read it. Where do I upload to and will I get a response?

The logs are encrypted, just post them to a sharing site and post a link on this forum.
2021-4-9
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

The car could be your problem.
I would never calibrate near any metal and that may be part of your problem. I fence, rebar, power wires cars post.
Anything metal can screw up calibration. Also you have a compass in your phone and I would not be using your controller from a car. Yes some do do that and get away with it but I would not. Use common sence.
2021-4-9
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

or common sense too
2021-4-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

dooges Posted at 4-9 16:16
Hi,

Hi,

use the link in post #2, after uploading, post that link on here

cheers
JJB
2021-4-10
Use props
dooges
lvl.1
Australia

JJB* Posted at 4-10 00:26
Hi,

use the link in post #2, after uploading, post that link on here

hey again, flight log uploaded

LogViewer/N5FOJYN9IG9DIN703DWS/
2021-4-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

dooges Posted at 4-10 21:28

Hi,

Had a look at your flight now.

Typical example of a compass/yaw error after takeoff after yaw input!

See my chart 4 in the 5-chart: see the Drone heading line (purple) and the blue line, normally they show the same value or the difference in value remains the same whole flight.
Not after your yaw input, see the compass value moved away....so correction made to the 4 motors not correct, so speed increase to high value of approx 19 m/s.

Just before the RTH compass value back to 'normal', kind of self repair.
RTH succesfull as the compass was oke during this mode.

Do you remember wich heading your drone was facing at the ground?  In the log the heading is 195 degree.

Always check before takeoff in the flyapp the heading of your drone, see the blue arrow in the map view. If not the same as the actual heading, do not fly.
Make it easy for yourself , if your takeoff spot is near a straight road, put your drone aligned or perpendicular to the road; if this is seen as well in the map view ; good to fly.

PS 1 did you noticed that after takeoff, only up RC stick input your mini2 drifted away a little....see the chart  0.7 m/s drifting away....
PS2 your RTH setting of 100 meters ; this take time to climb and land, was 100 meters a neccessary value for this flight?
cheers
JJB

analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2021-4-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dooges Posted at 4-10 21:28

Do you remember what direction your drone was facing at launch time?
Was it just a little west of south or something different?
And please describe your launch surface, because that's probably the cause of your yaw incident..

https://app.airdata.com/share/KmgfOT
2021-4-11
Use props
dooges
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-11 00:30
And please describe your launch surface, because that's probably the cause of your yaw incident..

Thanks very much, this is fascinating stuff, not that I understand any of it.

In answer to your questions the AC was facing almost directly south on take-off. The ground was low cut grass.

Questions if I may, why on my last 2 flights was I getting strong wind alarms when there was no wind to speak of? I have not had these alarms before because I am not confident to fly in anything but a slight breeze.

And what are all these alarms on the last flight? Should I be worried?
Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 22 times)

Not Enough Force/ESC Error.  Aircraft max power load reached. Decrease altitude and fly with caution. If this issue persists, land immediately (Code: 30168)

Thanks again
2021-4-11
Use props
dooges
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-11 00:30

You talk about drift, I have had this problem for a while and raised in here but got no definitive resolution. The AC does drift slowly which is why I am reluctant to fly/take-off/land in areas like my back yard. If I rotate the AC in the air it slews abruptly to the left/right by about 5m which I means I cannot rotate the AC if I am close to anything.  

I chose 100m because I needed fly over some residential areas to get to my intended destination and at this height you cannot hear the AC.
2021-4-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dooges Posted at 4-11 03:03
Thanks very much, this is fascinating stuff, not that I understand any of it.

In answer to your questions the AC was facing almost directly south on take-off. The ground was low cut grass.
the AC was facing almost directly south on take-off. The ground was low cut grass.
That's not so good .. it points to a possible issue with the drone if the launch environment was clean.

why on my last 2 flights was I getting strong wind alarms when there was no wind to speak of?
I have not had these alarms before because I am not confident to fly in anything but a slight breeze.
The strong wind warning shows if the drone encounters a wind of 7 metres/sec (15.5 mph)
That's not a particularly strong wind and the drone should easily hold position in a wind of 10 metres/sec.
The wind up high is usually stronger than the wind you experience on the ground.

And what are all these alarms on the last flight? Should I be worried?
Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 22 times)
Not Enough Force/ESC Error.  Aircraft max power load reached. Decrease altitude and fly with caution. If this issue persists, land immediately (Code: 30168).
These are potentially serious and indicate that the motors are revving at full speed but the drone is not performing as it should at full power.
It could indicate propeller problems (or something worse).

You should open a case with DJI nad have them look into things.

2021-4-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

dooges Posted at 4-11 03:32
You talk about drift, I have had this problem for a while and raised in here but got no definitive resolution. The AC does drift slowly which is why I am reluctant to fly/take-off/land in areas like my back yard. If I rotate the AC in the air it slews abruptly to the left/right by about 5m which I means I cannot rotate the AC if I am close to anything.  

I chose 100m because I needed fly over some residential areas to get to my intended destination and at this height you cannot hear the AC.

Hi Dooges,

The Not Enough Force messages and the max power load reached msg was seen during the fly-away, imo not a normal error bc the power was sent to the wrong motors, max commanded by the software (not you) just because of the fly-away.
If this happens in a normal flight than you have to be worried, this is 'normal' due to the fact of max power sending to the wrong motors.

see my chart at ID # 347 and further, the peak in speed in top chart.

cheers
JJB
2021-4-11
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Look for an app like UAV forecast. It will tell you wind speed at altitude you set. satellites locked, visibility, cloud cover, Kp, etc. all these can be set to safe numbers. then when one of these events are above set point the app will show red do not fly.
2021-4-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

videoeditman Posted at 4-11 17:06
Look for an app like UAV forecast. It will tell you wind speed at altitude you set. satellites locked, visibility, cloud cover, Kp, etc. all these can be set to safe numbers. then when one of these events are above set point the app will show red do not fly.

UAV Forecast might be OK in the US, but it is not worth diddly squat in Australia.
2021-4-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

videoeditman Posted at 4-11 17:06

UAV forecast is just a forecast and no more reliable than any other forecast.
But it's hard to see how this is relevant to the OP's issue.
It wouldn't have made any difference.

btw  Kp Index and GPS sats in UAV forecast are meaningless.
You will always have more sats than you need anywhere, anytime and the Kp index has no detectable effect on drone flying.

2021-4-11
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-11 18:07

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that about KP and GPS in UAV Forecast!  Not sure why they have them in there or anybody actually pays any attention to them.
2021-4-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

dooges Posted at 4-9 15:46
Hi, I did not lose the AC, luckily it was at a height where it avoided any obstacles otherwise I would have lost it

Hi there dooges. Thank you for the reply and for this update you have given. It is great to know that the said DJI drone is not lost and if you have any issues or concerns with your future flights with your DJI Mini 2. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you. Thank you.
2021-4-12
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
United States

Quote " I immediately hit the home button but it would not respond because of wind alarm (there was no wind, it was dead calm) but it did stop, it had flown 179m by itself." He said it was calm but had wind alarm. I am just trying to help people realize the conditions on the ground are not necessarily the same as flight altitude, and give them some ideas as to when it might not be smart to fly!
2021-4-12
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-11 18:07

Quote " I immediately hit the home button but it would not respond because of wind alarm (there was no wind, it was dead calm) but it did stop, it had flown 179m by itself." He said it was calm but had wind alarm. I am just trying to help people realize the conditions on the ground are not necessarily the same as flight altitude, and give them some ideas as to when it might not be smart to fly! Also I did not say it was more reliable I just recommend people use something, and that was an example.
2021-4-12
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-11 17:34
UAV Forecast might be OK in the US, but it is not worth diddly squat in Australia.

I said "Look for an app like UAV forecast" I don't have knowledge of which app works in every country. If you knew UAV forecast didn't work, and knew what did, you could have offered that as an alternative for Australia.
2021-4-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

videoeditman Posted at 4-12 06:09
Quote " I immediately hit the home button but it would not respond because of wind alarm (there was no wind, it was dead calm) but it did stop, it had flown 179m by itself." He said it was calm but had wind alarm. I am just trying to help people realize the conditions on the ground are not necessarily the same as flight altitude, and give them some ideas as to when it might not be smart to fly! Also I did not say it was more reliable I just recommend people use something, and that was an example.

I am just trying to help people realize the conditions on the ground are not necessarily the same as flight altitude.
You don't need an app to understand that the wind high up will be stronger than down at ground level.
The "strong wind" warning pops up if the drone is dealing with a 7 m/s wind (which isn't particularly strong).
As it turns out the wind didn't cause him any problems at all.
2021-4-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

videoeditman Posted at 4-12 06:12
I said "Look for an app like UAV forecast" I don't have knowledge of which app works in every country. If you knew UAV forecast didn't work, and knew what did, you could have offered that as an alternative for Australia.

There is no alternative app for Australia, but I wanted to inform him that UAV Forecast does not work well outside of the US.
2021-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules