Pocket 2 Waterproof Case - First Impressions
3799 8 2021-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
papabri48
lvl.2
United States

Just received my waterproof case for the P2, and thought I'd pass allong a few initial notes for those who might be considering one.  I bought the P2 in preparation for an upcoming adventure cruise to the Galapagos, where we are motoring in Zodiac inflatables from ship to shore twice a day for a week, so I didn't want to be burdened with my DSLR, large lenses, all that.  Since a few of the excursions also involve snorkeling, the waterproof case seemed like a logical accessory.  I don't know if there are knockoffs available for less than the $55 DJI model, but I wouldn't risk it even if they were free.

1. Overall, great quality and it passed the initial kitchen sink waterproof test.  Advertised max depth is 60M.
2. Only room in the case for the camera.  You'll have to remove any wrist straps and the bluetooth extension that comes with the Creator Combo, which you can't use underwater anyway.
3. The case will float with the P2 inside, but not much.  It's basically neutral bouyancy.  I'd recommend a floating GoPro handle like in my photo, the yellow being easier to spot if you do lose it.  Attach a wrist strap to that and you're good to go.
4. There are two GoPro type brackets, so you could use it anywhere where you can attach a GoPro, with or without the cap.  There's a small clip inside to keep the P2 in position in the case.
5. You don't have any touch-screen capabilities, so you will need to do your camera and gimbal settings before taking a dip.  The gimbal will need to be set in fixed position by using the WP Case mode, which can be a little tricky.  This will set you gimbal at the correct constant angle relative to the round case window.
6. Once under water, you do have the ability to turn the camera on and off, select photo or video, and click the shutter, but that's about it.  
7. I haven't tested this in the pool or anywhere that the audio pickup can be tested, so I'm unsure of what kind of sound you'll get underwater.  I may have to dub in sound tracks from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

Overall, well worth the price.  DJI was temporarily out of stock, but notified me when they had some rady, and it took less than a week to get here from wherever.

with gopro handle

with gopro handle
2021-4-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2021-4-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Glad you liked it and thanks for sharing your feedback, papabri48!
2021-4-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been doing a lot of scuba diving recently and was looking at the waterproof case for my P2.  However, it has been out of stock and I really didn't trust buying a knock off.  Your post was very informative and appreciated.  Thanks for sharing this valuable information and have a great week.  
2021-4-13
Use props
papabri48
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-13 06:01
I have been doing a lot of scuba diving recently and was looking at the waterproof case for my P2.  However, it has been out of stock and I really didn't trust buying a knock off.  Your post was very informative and appreciated.  Thanks for sharing this valuable information and have a great week.

Thanks.  I had check the “in-stock reminder” tab on the DJI Store website, and ordered one as soon as I got the email that they were back in stock.  I had some credit $ I needed to burn as well.  It took only six days to arrive.

Yes, I too would not want to trust it to a third party manufacturer.  If it became faulty, DJI would not be likely to cover any damage.
2021-4-13
Use props
papabri48
lvl.2
United States

Aldryn does a pretty nice review. I think the cases for the orig...

2021-4-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

papabri48@gmail Posted at 4-13 06:12
Thanks.  I had check the “in-stock reminder” tab on the DJI Store website, and ordered one as soon as I got the email that they were back in stock.  I had some credit $ I needed to burn as well.  It took only six days to arrive.

Yes, I too would not want to trust it to a third party manufacturer.  If it became faulty, DJI would not be likely to cover any damage.

You're very welcome.  
2021-4-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

papabri48@gmail Posted at 4-13 06:20
https://youtu.be/TzyLTsMpKQ8

Cool video and very informative.
2021-4-14
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

No personal experiences so far, but I remember hearing multiple people's warnings about the Ulanzi-manufactured one. It is said it leaks, one user even managed to kill their Pocket 2 with it. Probably better to stick with the official DJI one (and even then, to take good care of it and remember all the precautions given about it).
2021-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules