Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How Important is the LOCTITE on Propeller Screws
9088 21 2021-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JannEarlTV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23 ft
Philippines

Hi Everyone,

I saw some posts that I cannot re-use my old screws on a re-installed propeller on my drone without applying a Loctite.

Quick question, how important is the Loctite, and How risky it is to fly without it on re-used screws

Thanks,
Jann
2021-4-9
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

I would not risk using the screws without the Loctite. The original Loctite blue is a bit pricey here, but it is still nothing compared to the price of the drone
2021-4-9
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

Why not thread locker is readily available.
2021-4-9
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe I have been lucky but I have never use that unapproved substance with my props. Just saying...
2021-4-9
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

GaryDoug Posted at 4-9 20:41
Maybe I have been lucky but I have never use that unapproved substance with my props. Just saying...

As far as I know that is the exact thing on the new screws!  So you recon it is something else, not the Loctite Blue threadlocker?
2021-4-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The thread lock is needed but its a non issue as the new props come with new screws with the thread lock pre applied.
2021-4-10
Use props
Rob_G
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56732 ft
Canada

CemAygun Posted at 4-9 22:27
As far as I know that is the exact thing on the new screws!  So you recon it is something else, not the Loctite Blue threadlocker?

Use the new screws.  Blue locktite will degrade plastic if it comes in contact with it.

Rob
2021-4-10
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-10 00:06
The thread lock is needed but its a non issue as the new props come with new screws with the thread lock pre applied.

So, just for my peace of mind. You are saying that if I require to change my props with the spares supplied in the FMC, the screws already have the loctite on the threads?
2021-4-10
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

You can reuse screws if the thread is fine, just apply a little dot of strong threadlocker, like the liqui moly or the loctite ones.

The thing is that each blade comes with a new screw, so there's no point in reusing them, but you can save the old ones for spares if you want.

Why the threadlocker is important?

Because small screws like the prop ones doesn't support a lot of torque when they are screwed, so they end up unscrewing themselves when vibration and centrifugal force is applied. So for small screws like the prop ones, no thread locker means a high chance of loosing props while flying.

I always check that the 8 screws are tightened before flying (just a little check with the screwdriver without aplying force).
2021-4-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

New props from DJI come with screws that have the thread lock already on it.  The threadlock ensures that the screw doesn't vibrate loose.  
2021-4-10
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

CemAygun Posted at 4-9 22:27
As far as I know that is the exact thing on the new screws!  So you recon it is something else, not the Loctite Blue threadlocker?

He doesn't use it because he doesn't know what it is!
It is pre-applied to the prop screws I have seen.
Loc-tite is only a brand for a thread locking chemical. One can find other brands that are less expensive.
When in doubt Blue thread locker is perfectly acceptable.
2021-4-10
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TP-FPV Posted at 4-10 04:52
He doesn't use it because he doesn't know what it is!
It is pre-applied to the prop screws I have seen.
Loc-tite is only a brand for a thread locking chemical. One can find other brands that are less expensive.

I know exactly what Loctite is and have used both types on automotive and marine engines when needed. I just have never used the new screws and never applied new threadsealer to my drones. If you want to use it, ok, but know that putting it on screws for props that turn counter-clockwise is not needed or desirable.
2021-4-10
Use props
squee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142710 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-10 04:34
New props from DJI come with screws that have the thread lock already on it.  The threadlock ensures that the screw doesn't vibrate loose.

That's good to know!
2021-4-10
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Just slightly away from the main thought for a second, I have used Loctite on a four foot helicopter because the first time I Removed and Replaced the screws for the blades, I revved it up to test it,
then shut it down,  on inspection, I found them to be loosening, I applied the Blue stuff, and they held till I gave the ship away years later.  Yes, true - the new props DO come with their own screws,
as someone said, why not use them and keep the old ones for if you ever need one.
2021-4-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 4-10 03:20
So, just for my peace of mind. You are saying that if I require to change my props with the spares supplied in the FMC, the screws already have the loctite on the threads?

Yes thats right.   the come pre applied.
2021-4-11
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-11 02:09
Yes thats right.   the come pre applied.

Thank you DAFlys!
2021-4-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2021-4-11
Use props
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just felt like I should throw a word of caution into this Loctite discussion.
Yes, the new screws have the proper amount and "formula" on them so if the screws are replaced with the props, no worries.
There are a few different colors/grades of Loctite and are used for different fastening scenarios and if the wrong color/grade is used, the threads can be damaged.
Red Loctite is designed for things that are not removed like a bearing race, etc. It requires heat to remove....NG for the delicate things like on the drone
Blue is the standard "removable" formula but that can be a problem when using on aluminum and the old stuff must be removed before re-applying.
There is a Purple color that is a lighter duty formula specially made for aluminum/softer metals but again, careful and proper use is key. More is not better for any of them.
So, I guess I was just looking to warn of the "willy-nilly" use of Loctite
2021-4-11
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

JMB63, thanks for that, I forgot.
2021-4-11
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The substance on the screws is not loctite, it’s a type of patch lock which goes under different names such as torqlok, nylok and others.
It is a nylon based product that creates a friction fit it, is not an adhesive.
Once applied the screw can be reused with acceptable holding/vibration resistance but since you get new screws use them.

Loctite, mentioned in this thread, is anaerobic adhesive so you will have to wait for it to set, it will also stay a liquid in air so it will wick and get in places you don’t want it to get into.
2021-4-11
Use props
JannEarlTV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23 ft
Philippines

To be honest, the mistake I did is I bought and installed something like the below on my drone (motor covers).

And upon reviewing it before I start flying once again, I saw a post here that it's not recommended as it may create heat upon covering the motors. the same thing is I used the same propeller that I removed (because it's still new) but basically the Loctite on it was already removed.

So most probably I'll just use the supplied new propellers with the new screws packed with it to be on the safe side
2021-4-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JannEarlTV Posted at 4-11 16:09
To be honest, the mistake I did is I bought and installed something like the below on my drone (motor covers).
https://img.sunsky-online.com/upload/store/product_l/EDA00992101A.jpg[/img]

The covers can help keep foreign particles out of the motors but at the expense of less cooling. If it is hot where you fly, I would leave them off. Otherwise keep them on. I will not use any thead-locker on my drones because particles of it can fall into the near-microscopic spaces between the motor's moving parts on removal or installation. I always hold the drone upside down when removing new prop screws to lessen that possibility. Some of these drones can still fly (poorly) with a prop missing but they will not fly with one motor jammed
2021-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules