5552 7 2021-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
squee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142710 ft
United States

Greetings all!

Have been flying the Mini 2 for a few moths now, and am generally very impressed. Need help with 1 specific issue, though.

I would like to get video of a river kayaking trip. Ideally, I'll be taking off, filming, and landing while in the kayak.

Knowing that a moving kayak isn't the ideal spot for all of these operations, I grabbed a set of pontoons. This lets me take off from the water, and land back into the water safely.

On the first trial run, I set the drone to "payload mode" due to the weight of the pontoons. All went well until we drifted with the current and exceeded the "maximum range" of the drone. While we went downstream, the Mini 2 refused to budge. It had hit the invisible "wall" of the max range.

Thankfully, I was able to set the drone down into the water and it drifted its way downstream.

After doing some more testing (on dry land), and some additional research, I now know that the "max range" is from the homepoint ... not the controller.

I would really like for the drone to be able to travel down the river with us, and not be locked in a small circle around the takeoff location.

Does anyone have any ideas? Can the homepoint be reset in flight? Can the max range of payload mode be changed? Any other ideas?
2021-4-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

turn off payload mode.
2021-4-10
Use props
squee
lvl.1
United States

Tried that, and got a "prop spinning too fast" warning (or something like that). Is it safe to ignore those warnings?
2021-4-10
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Takeoff and land in your hand... i'ts the best option.

Those pontoons can fail and the drone will end in the water.

If you are moving you should also be careful about the home position and the RTH option because Mini 2 doesn't have a dynamic home point option I believe, llthouugh you can set the homepoint in the map I think.
2021-4-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

yes, possible to change HP during flight to your new location, very simple as the default is setting HP to the drone position, so change in menu and click on OK.

cheers
JJB
2021-4-11
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

If the device (tablet/phone) has a GPS chip you can set the home point to the controller/remote location. I know that Apple products without a cellular chip do not have a GPS chip.
2021-4-11
Use props
squee
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 4-11 05:09
yes, possible to change HP during flight to your new location, very simple as the default is setting HP to the drone position, so change in menu and click on OK.

cheers

thanks! will check it out
2021-4-11
Use props
squee
lvl.1
United States

jmb63 Posted at 4-11 06:08
If the device (tablet/phone) has a GPS chip you can set the home point to the controller/remote location. I know that Apple products without a cellular chip do not have a GPS chip.

excellent! Sounds like just what I need
2021-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules