Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FAA Night Operations; P4P anti-collision lighting visibility rating
817 3 2021-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OldScout
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

The new FAA Part 107 regulations for night operations state:Night Operations
This rule allows routine operations of small UAS, beginning April 21, 2021, at night under two conditions:
  • The remote pilot in command must complete an updated initial knowledge test or online recurrent training, and
  • The small unmanned aircraft must have lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least three (3) statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision.

Reference: https://www.faa.gov/uas/commerci ... ations_over_people/

Question: What is the visibility rating (in statute miles) for the anti-collision lighting on the P4P?
If strobes are necessary and you have a source for them, please post it in this thread.

2021-4-12
Use props
Mr. Strat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

The P4P has no anti-collision lighting. You need to add some. I have a set of Strobon Cree units with brackets I got off eBay that are L-shaped and hold two. They clip onto the legs of the Phantom. I think I got the strobes from Amazon but there are lots of places that sell them.
2021-4-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there OldScout. Good day and thank you for posting these information here at DJI Forum. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Strobe Light  ) for your DJI Drone. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who are using this accessory. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drone. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. Thank you.
2021-4-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I agree with everything stated in Post #2.  

I'd like to add, if you have a 107, know you still have the option of flying as a recreational flyer, which, depending on your chosen Community Based Organization, may allow night flying regardless of your aircraft's lighting.  But it's imperative that you fully and clearly understand the night flying rules of your chosen CBO, as well as the points in Public Law 115-254 Section 349.

Nonetheless, I attach my Cree lighting all around my Phantom when I know I'll be in the air at any point after the beginning of civil twilight.  I've got five of them.  :-)  

2021-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules