Lost connection to Aircraft: safe to fly once reconnected?
332 4 2021-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike90210
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1183556 ft
United States

QUESTION: After the aircraft loses connection to the RC , by the time you see messages like "RC signal lost" and "Auto returning" and "Ascending" , does that mean the crisis is over and connection has already been restored?   So, if I make sure to stick-up (to ensure it doesn't land), is it ok to resume my flight?

From other other threads, I expect I'll be asked to use: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
But, I'm on my work laptop and can't install iTunes.  (Any other way to get my detailed flight data)?

So, in the meantime, here's the details: (as viewed in my DJI flights):

The flight data recording stopped at 25 seconds, then resumed at 37 seconds when it reports:  "Aircraft not ...nected to RC".  (altitude 51 ft, distance 247 feet),   

At 38 seconds: "RC signal lost" (alt 59 feet)

At 39 seconds "auto returning to home" (alt 65 feet)

At 40 seconds alt 67 feet

at 44 seconds,  "Ascending ...ing to home", alt 67 feet

At 45 seconds, alt 73 feet

At 51 seconds, alt: 133 ft, dist 246 feet

2021-4-12
Use props
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, it is ok to resume flying after it re-connects.
The most important things to think about/set up are... RTH height, RTH action if disconnected, and your surroundings. The RTH (return to home) height should higher than anything between the home point and the drone (in a straight line) so if it gets disconnected it won't hit anything on the way back. The RTH action will determine what it does if signal lost...either climb to the pre-determined height, hover, or land (that will be determined by your surroundings). If you have the clear altitude above the drone, going up when it disconnects might let it get a signal just because it gives a better angle for the signal but also just coming straight back (control stick held back) might get it back but it will be blind until it recovers.
It really all depends on your surroundings as to what is best for it to do if the signal fades out. For example, if in a wooded area under a canopy of trees, going up after a disconnect would not be the best choice...

2021-4-12
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

The truly unsettling thing is I had 3 episodes of this happening at 2 different sites.  Both were near bridges but there was literally nothing between me and my mini 2.  One happened when then drone was within 30 feet and only 15 feet in the air).

I need to figure out how to export the flight data logs for the expert analysis of what happened.

-Mike
2021-4-12
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Mike90210 Posted at 4-12 06:15
The truly unsettling thing is I had 3 episodes of this happening at 2 different sites.  Both were near bridges but there was literally nothing between me and my mini 2.  One happened when then drone was within 30 feet and only 15 feet in the air).

I need to figure out how to export the flight data logs for the expert analysis of what happened.

Mike, I would check (replace) your USB cable to RC. Also if you can try a different device. Those distances seem way to short for a disconnect. Hope you get it working!
2021-4-12
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

My understanding is if the RC can't communicate with the mobile device, then yes, the cable would be likely.  

The error I got was the RC lost connection to the aircraft.
2021-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules