Broken frame
5963 27 2021-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HeliDude
lvl.1

United States

First off I love the FPV. What a great machine. Am surprised at how fragile it is. Was slowly going thru a race gate (we don't race but play around going thru them). Clipped the inside top and the drone fell to the ground. The drop was less than 4 feet. Snapped the left front arm off of the frame itself. Looking at the porous material it is amazingly week. Again I am shocked and disappointed. It's going to be a compete teardown to replace the frame.

That being said are there any tutorials on complete disassembly?
20210411_122116.jpg
2021-4-12
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Ouch!

I haven't seen a complete teardown but IFixIt has a pretty good one on their YouTube channel.
Livyu FPV also has a partial teardown.
He doesn't take his drone apart as much as the IFixIt video did. I think I've seen another teardown as well. I don't remember which channel. If I find this other video I'll add a reply to this thread.

I've seen parts on eBay and Aliexpress. DJI might also sell the parts.
I've taken about the FPV battery and controller but I haven't taken the drone apart much. You can find photos of the battery and controller on my Hackaday IO page. I may add photos of the drone to the page in the future.

Good luck with the repair.

Edit: I tried to add the videos as links. The forum software adds the giant video player instead. I restored the lost text caused by the strange forum quirk.

2021-4-12
Use props
HeliDude
lvl.1

United States

Duane Degn Posted at 4-12 08:43
Ouch!

I haven't seen a complete teardown but IFixIt has a pretty good one on their YouTube channel. IFixIt YouTube

That is great information. Thank you.
2021-4-12
Use props
cootertwo
Second Officer
United States

2021-4-12
Use props
djiuser_4A5MDezKP8ea
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

i dissaembled it completly. it is not too hard. but you need to remember which lengts of screws go where, or you are going to puzzle afterwards.
2021-4-12
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I had a crash somewhat worse than yours, the arm ripped off a section of the body with it, and the sensors were broken completely off. I just glued mine back together; I used epoxy and bits of fiberglass cloth for strength. It looks awful but it still works, mostly.  The anti-collision sensors are completely inoperative, so it flies pretty strange in normal and sport modes, kind of like the old "atti" mode. And I don't believe return to home works anymore. But it still flies just about completley correct in manual mode, which is the only mode I fly it in anyway. And somehow everything works mostly normally except for that..

So if you don't mind it looking like it went through a war zone, you might save a ton of money and just glue it back together... And fly the broken one while you save up for another new one lol.
2021-4-12
Use props
Audguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2405394 ft
United States

luciens Posted at 4-12 10:55
I had a crash somewhat worse than yours, the arm ripped off a section of the body with it, and the sensors were broken completely off. I just glued mine back together; I used epoxy and bits of fiberglass cloth for strength. It looks awful but it still works, mostly.  The anti-collision sensors are completely inoperative, so it flies pretty strange in normal and sport modes, kind of like the old "atti" mode. And I don't believe return to home works anymore. But it still flies just about completley correct in manual mode, which is the only mode I fly it in anyway. And somehow everything works mostly normally except for that..

So if you don't mind it looking like it went through a war zone, you might save a ton of money and just glue it back together... And fly the broken one while you save up for another new one lol.

Did you run the calibration after the repair?
2021-4-12
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5821801 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch....and this is why im hesitant on buying one. I would probaly cry if this happend to me......and my luck, it would be first flight...lol
2021-4-12
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Audguy Posted at 4-12 16:02
Did you run the calibration after the repair?

No, but it needs the IMU calibrated for sure....
2021-4-12
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

I had a crash somewhat worse than yours, the arm ripped off a section of the body with it, and the sensors were broken completely off. I just glued mine back together; I used epoxy and bits of fiberglass cloth for strength. It looks awful but it still works, mostly.  The anti-collision sensors are completely inoperative, so it flies pretty strange in normal and sport modes, kind of like the old "atti" mode. And I don't believe return to home works anymore. But it still flies just about completley correct in manual mode, which is the only mode I fly it in anyway. And somehow everything works mostly normally except for that..

So if you don't mind it looking like it went through a war zone, you might save a ton of money and just glue it back together... And fly the broken one while you save up for another new one lol.

"It looks awful but it still works, mostly."
This sounds fantastic. I'd love to see photos if you are inclined to share them.
2021-4-12
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

Djimaniac Posted at 4-12 16:29
Ouch....and this is why im hesitant on buying one. I would probaly cry if this happend to me......and my luck, it would be first flight...lol

"this is why im hesitant on buying one."

If you stay in normal mode, the drone is very easy to fly. I personally don't think crashing is a big danger if the drone is flown cautiously.

I've heard the transmitted video is better than other alternative available. I haven't used the V1 goggles myself but from the YouTube videos I've seen, it appears the video quality of this new drone/goggles combo beats previously available options.

I personally think this new drone is crazy fun.
2021-4-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there leopescaru. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this issue is happening on your DJI FPv, I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution/fix would be provided. We have a team that will do there best to fix and give out the best resolution for this issue. Thank you.
2021-4-12
Use props
HeliDude
lvl.1

United States

cootertwo Posted at 4-12 10:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwSSXmlUc2A

Will save that one.
2021-4-12
Use props
HeliDude
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_4A5MDezKP8ea Posted at 4-12 10:33
i dissaembled it completly. it is not too hard. but you need to remember which lengts of screws go where, or you are going to puzzle afterwards.

I plan on taking lots of pictures for reference. Lol
2021-4-12
Use props
HeliDude
lvl.1

United States

Ouch....and this is why im hesitant on buying one. I would probaly cry if this happend to me......and my luck, it would be first flight...lol

I am a bit sad but what can you do. Still a great device.
2021-4-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is anyone selling that part yet?
2021-4-12
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch....and this is why im hesitant on buying one. I would probaly cry if this happend to me......and my luck, it would be first flight...lol

I think it's the luck of the draw, I have had a couple of mishaps while flying in manual, hard enough to eject the battery & once hit the side of a shed shooting a gap. Mashed the prop, but no other damage.
2021-4-13
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-12 23:04
Is anyone selling that part yet?

You can get the middle frame and the bottom cover & arm from Aliexpress. Changing the middle frame is a complete disassembly and rebuild, as you would expect. Its straight forward as long as you are methodical and keep all the screws in order. A good soldering station is required, 100W+ and the required skills!

I have completed a total strip down and rebuild, to see what is involved. Front arm replacement also requires the rear arm to be eased off the middle frame so the wiring can be removed. Rear arm easy to do, inside the battery compartment are two foam plugs that when removed give access to the tiny signal wire connectors for the arm LED's so the ESC does not need removing.

The biggest issue will be if the wiring in the arms has been damaged as you won't know if its internally damaged until it's back together.

You may find that a DJI repair is more cost effective, a list of part costs can be found here:

https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry

This also has the added advantage that the parts will all be available 'off shelf' at the repair centre.

2021-4-13
Use props
cootertwo
Second Officer
United States

https://cloudcitydrones.com/coll ... EoCtN5bXqAarl8aVveg
2021-4-13
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

cootertwo Posted at 4-13 07:11
https://cloudcitydrones.com/collections/dji-fpv-series-parts?page=3&fbclid=IwAR0sdKkX8wti36jyBSK8GnR8GysDlys-O1VWrBhUEoCtN5bXqAarl8aVveg

Apparently they have not shipped any orders!
2021-4-13
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 4-12 18:26
"It looks awful but it still works, mostly."
This sounds fantastic. I'd love to see photos if you are inclined to share them.

Here's pictures of the glued-together drone. I'm amazed it flies at all, though. The vision sensors don't work anymore, though it will still autoland in Normal and Sport (sort of). It doesn't fly right in Normal and Sport Mode anymore, because it can't see the ground, and there's lots of wierd twitching even after recalibrating the IMU. Return to home doesn't work anymore either, though the GPS is clearly still working.
It flies in Manual mode, but with some strange behavior where it suddenly jumps up and to the right sometimes when adding throttle.

I only fly it in Manual mode so I don't care much about Normal and Sport not working right.

It's flyable, but I definitely am going to have to buy another one to replace it. It really got a bonk on the head, and it ain't quite right anymore. But I still fly it every day, until I break a prop (I'm out of props), or something completely goes wrong I'm going to get my money's worth out of it :

2021-4-19
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

luciens Posted at 4-19 10:07
Here's pictures of the glued-together drone. I'm amazed it flies at all, though. The vision sensors don't work anymore, though it will still autoland in Normal and Sport (sort of). It doesn't fly right in Normal and Sport Mode anymore, because it can't see the ground, and there's lots of wierd twitching even after recalibrating the IMU. Return to home doesn't work anymore either, though the GPS is clearly still working.
It flies in Manual mode, but with some strange behavior where it suddenly jumps up and to the right sometimes when adding throttle.

Fantastic photos! Thanks a bunch for posting them.

I keep waiting to see if someone makes a custom frame to transfer the parts to. It would be nice if an alternate frame were available which would allow one to more easily swap parts.

Thanks again for sharing the photos.
2021-4-19
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 4-19 10:20
Fantastic photos! Thanks a bunch for posting them.

I keep waiting to see if someone makes a custom frame to transfer the parts to. It would be nice if an alternate frame were available which would allow one to more easily swap parts.

Well, the only alternative in the meantime is just to not crash it . The only two reasons I stick with it are a) O3 and the much improved video downlink quality and range over the digital system (as good as it is) and b) the adjustable camera angle in Manual mode.

If it weren't for those two features, I'd just fly my regular Betaflight quads and not mess with the FPV drone.

But the range and quality of video really spoils you fast, even as good as the existing digital system is. It's a little bit of a letdown when I fly my Nazgul or my Diatone F5, etc.... Even though those quads fly far better than the FPV drone does.

If DJI fixes the firmware and gives us a way to adjust the PIDs, that'd be a huge improvement as-is....
2021-4-19
Use props
Cristian.c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1387448 ft
Romania

Hello guys,

Here are few photos of my FPV drone, I had a crash and replaced 12 parts in total, arms, flex cable, camera parts, vison sensor, etc.

The worse part is that one of the PCB board is broken also, at the part where is the USB and SD card reader placed, is partially working, connecting to controller and Goggles but I have the following issues:

- image transmission not working
- vision sensors error ( even if I tried to calibrate in DJI assistant, at the end of the process, I get calculation error )
- SD card is not recognized.

I think all of these are related to the bended board, the bad part is that I do not find this part to buy... I have asked DJI about this and I'm still waiting to see.

Safe flights!
20210701_194633.jpg
20210701_194618.jpg
20210702_114111.jpg
20210708_104745.jpg
20210708_180027.jpg
Screenshot_20210708-210322_Gallery.jpg
2021-7-8
Use props
Cristian.c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1387448 ft
Romania

Update: I have managed to calibrate with success, I did again on my laptop screen, changed the resolution to 1600x900, before this I tried mulțime time on my external monitor 34" 3440 X 1440, it will fail every time.

Update: after I restart the aircraft I still get the vision sensor error in goggles, I think this is related to the board.
20210709_084053.jpg
2021-7-8
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

I'm sorry, but the warzone bit was too funny

Also, I'm curious. Does the FPV Drone's sensors actually work at top speed, or is it only at slow speeds?
2021-7-9
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Because if its at slow speeds, I don't think there's much of a use for them since FPV is supposed to be fast
2021-7-9
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cristian.c Posted at 7-8 10:53
Hello guys,

Here are few photos of my FPV drone, I had a crash and replaced 12 parts in total, arms, flex cable, camera parts, vison sensor, etc.

Ouch, that looks terrible
2021-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules