Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Pocket 2 incompability with phone models, and DJI Mimo versions
3097 5 2021-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GawainNg
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Edit: I have managed to get wireless connection working! This is the sequence that must be performed:
1. Turn off mobile data on your phone
2. Open your phone's WiFi settings and select DJIPocket-xxxxxx from the list of available WiFi networks
3. Open DJI Mimo
4. Profit!

Disabling mobile data is the one I really don't understand; if mobile  data is on then wireless connection will fail every single time. In  addition, trying to connect to the Pocket 2 in DJI Mimo also always  result in an error message but connecting via the phone's WiFi settings  will work.

I hope that helps anyone having a similar issue, and I hope the devs figure out a way to... well, make it less of a hassle.

----------

Hi,

I have a theory for why so many phones are failing to connect to the DJI Pocket 2: for some reason, only older versions of the DJI Mimo software are available for these phones, software versions that either do not allow for wirelessly connection to the gimbal camera or aren't compatible with the camera at all.

The latest/current version of DJI Mimo is version 1.5.16. Meanwhile, I've been trying to figure out why the Google Pixel 4a won't connect to the DJI Pocket 2 wirelessly via the Do-It-All Handle and I've found that the latest version available for the Google Pixel 4a is version 1.5.4, which was released last year.

Attempts to install the following versions of DJI Mimo have resulted in an error and failed install:

Can any of the developers explain why certain phone models are restricted from being able to install newer versions of the software? Also, had there been an update to the software after 1.5.4 for wireless connection with the Pocket 2 that would explain why the Google Pixel 4a is only able to connect to gimbal camera via USB-C and not wirelessly?

Kind regards,
Gawain

2021-4-12
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

DJI MIMO app once told that you need to download latest version from DJI website.

DJI got that Android Play store ban and DJI can't update MIMO version there. This only affects Android users. Apple Store has latest MIMO version.

So to get latest version in 2021 you need to uninstall MIMO app and download and install the MIMO from here:
https://www.dji.com/fi/mimo
APK file is over 200MB.
2021-4-12
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

Aavalaakso Posted at 4-12 20:21
DJI MIMO app once told that you need to download latest version from DJI website.

DJI got that Android Play store ban and DJI can't update MIMO version there. This only affects Android users. Apple Store has latest MIMO version.

On Android when I try to install the downloaded version of apk it doesn't get installed.
Running android 10 on my phone
2021-4-13
Use props
Gawain
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 4-13 00:46
On Android when I try to install the downloaded version of apk it doesn't get installed.
Running android 10 on my phone

I thought I had the same problem, but I followed Aavalaakso's advice by uninstalling DJI Mimo completely first before trying to install the .apk and it installed successfully.

Unfortunately it didn't fix my original problem, so - yeah - that's my theory out the window.
Edit: I have managed to get the Pixel 4a to wirelessly connect to the DJI Pocket 2. See the upated original post for details
2021-4-13
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

The version certainly plays a role here. My XCover 4 only agreed to install an older version (can't remeber for certain, but I think it was something like 1.3.5) and refused to install any newer versions. The old version didn't even mention the Pocket 2 on its menus.

I believe that all the phones mentioned on the DJI's official list at https://www.dji.com/fi/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo or on the list of compatible phones at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=235190 and tablets mentioned at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=237518 can run an up-to-date version of the app, and that's probably one of the key factors on compatibility.

Anyhow, great to hear you managed to solve your problem. :-)
2021-4-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting work around.  
2021-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now