Shutter speed precision
992 4 2021-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sjorsvb
New
Netherlands

Hi,

From what I understand after watching several YouTube videos, it's good practice for the shutter speed to be set to half the refresh rate time. In other words, if I shoot at 24fps, I would like to set the shutter speed to 1/48 second in order to get a nice motion blur. However, the pocket 2 only allows me to set the shutter speed to 1/50 second. Does anybody know if this is mapped to 1/48 in the background or what I can expect if it is really 1/50 second.

Thanks in advance!

Sjors
2021-4-14
Use props
Gawain
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That's normal for most cameras, you simply set the shutter speed to the closest to 1/double if you're after a 180° shutter angle like you're doing. It's not as though anyone in the world is going to be able to tell the difference between 1/48th of a second and 1/50th of a second anyway.
2021-4-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gawain Posted at 4-14 03:03
That's normal for most cameras, you simply set the shutter speed to the closest to 1/double if you're after a 180° shutter angle like you're doing. It's not as though anyone in the world is going to be able to tell the difference between 1/48th of a second and 1/50th of a second anyway.

Exactly.  
2021-4-14
Use props
sjorsvb
New
Netherlands

Okay thanks, I was just wondering if there would be some weird side effect if it wasn’t exactly half, like strobing or something else. But your answer is clear, thanks a lot!
2021-4-14
Use props
Gawain
lvl.3
United Kingdom

sjorsvb Posted at 4-14 12:35
Okay thanks, I was just wondering if there would be some weird side effect if it wasn’t exactly half, like strobing or something else. But your answer is clear, thanks a lot!

Ah, it sounds like you're not entirely sure what the shutter angle thing does then. So, like you mentioned in your original post, it's related to motion blur. Assuming you're filming in 24FPS:
  • shutter speeds of around 1/50 will give you "average" motion blur
  • slower shutter speeds (e.g. 1/30) will give you more motion blur
  • faster shutter speeds (e.g. 1/100) will give you less motion blur
What you should be thinking is how much motion blur do you want your final video to have? Most of the time "average" is what you want. However, there may be times when you will want more motion blur to give a the video a more dreamy, ''atmospheric'' effect. Then there are other times when you want less motion blur to keep the image super sharp and crisp, like for fast-action sports. It ultimately depends on what you're filming and sort of effect you want people to get from your video.

2021-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules