Waypoint mode? (not hyperlapse)
3852 26 2021-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I am not seeing this as a feature.  No way I will upgrade if its not there.  Virtual Sticks with third parties is fine except its not nearly as safe.

2021-4-15
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1640367 ft
Poland

DJI is very worried about our requests ... Don't make them sad ...

2021-4-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

you know they have dji waypoints on M2Pro, but i bet if you troll through every video on this forum you will find it hard to find two videos shot with dji waypoints. And why? Simple because they are no good and never have been. Third party apps like litchi do waypoints that people use, if you need waypoints buy any dji drone that’s compatible with waypoints by third parties .
2021-4-15
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 4-15 11:42
you know they have dji waypoints on M2Pro, but i bet if you troll through every video on this forum you will find it hard to find two videos shot with dji waypoints. And why? Simple because they are no good and never have been. Third party apps like litchi do waypoints that people use, if you need waypoints buy any dji drone that’s compatible with waypoints by third parties .

I will tell you, read the mapping ... you will understand why it is important ...
2021-4-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

vg1 Posted at 4-15 11:49
I will tell you, read the mapping ... you will understand why it is important ...

You’re making very little sense. This is simple and coming from someone who flys waypoint missions. Dji waypoint program is basically sh%t, the best waypoint package for consumer drones is litchi , dji dont care about waypoints full stop.

2021-4-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 4-15 12:20
You’re making very little sense. This is simple and coming from someone who flys waypoint missions. Dji waypoint program is basically sh%t, the best waypoint package for consumer drones is litchi , dji dont care about waypoints full stop.

I agree as well, never used Dji waypoints on my Mavic Zoom, always used Litchi as it is much better and more stable
2021-4-15
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Canada

you know they have dji waypoints on M2Pro, but i bet if you troll through every video on this forum you will find it hard to find two videos shot with dji waypoints. And why? Simple because they are no good and never have been. Third party apps like litchi do waypoints that people use, if you need waypoints buy any dji drone that’s compatible with waypoints by third parties .

Trolling?  No, not me.  However, the MA2 and obviously this new one don't have the hardware ** to support it, according to once source I read... yes, Litchi and DroneLink, both of which I have, will do this, but only with Virtual Stick code, unlike some of the previous DJI drones where there was facility within the SDK.  This means that the drone must be within range of the controller at all times for Virtual stick missions to work...  if it disconnects, it will may or may not RTH, no so safe.  Or at least that is my understanding of it.  Even my little old Spark can handle disconnects in Litchi missions, no problem.  This is IMHO a marketing ploy by DJI to force you up a tier to the Pro models now, which are currently way out of date. I was hoping that the "s" would correct this.  Apparently not.

** this may not be true, can't say, but they have not released the capability in the SDK.

2021-4-15
Use props
atomic77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 858117 ft
Poland

you know they have dji waypoints on M2Pro, but i bet if you troll through every video on this forum you will find it hard to find two videos shot with dji waypoints. And why? Simple because they are no good and never have been. Third party apps like litchi do waypoints that people use, if you need waypoints buy any dji drone that’s compatible with waypoints by third parties .

No, Litchi and other apps use built in waypoint support (in SDK) which was removed in MA2.
That's why Litchi has very limited functionality in MA2, so probably in 2s too.
Some develepors try to use "virtual sticks" - the app is simulating waypoints and try to fly to every point, but it's unreliable, laggy and not very precise.
The waypont support was in Mavic Air "1", but DJI removed it. I think it's because they are saying to us: it's an amateur drone, a toy, don't expect too much.
2021-4-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Northwood. Thanks for reaching out and posting your inquiry. Currently, the Mavic Air 2S doesn't have a separate feature for Waypoint that's not under the Hyperlapse function but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific to the Mavic Air 2S. Thanks for your continued support!
2021-4-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I hope the SDK is updated to support MA2S
2021-4-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

atomic77 Posted at 4-15 21:06
No, Litchi and other apps use built in waypoint support (in SDK) which was removed in MA2.
Some develepors try to use "virtual sticks" - the app is simulating waypoints and try to fly to every point, but it's unreliable, laggy and not very precise.

I know exactly wat has happened, i own all 3 air drones, i also own M2P and would never attempt to use dji waypoints because its crap and no one uses it, its a lot easier to learn to fly than use bad waypoints.
2021-4-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Northwood Posted at 4-15 17:59
Trolling?  No, not me.  However, the MA2 and obviously this new one don't have the hardware ** to support it, according to once source I read... yes, Litchi and DroneLink, both of which I have, will do this, but only with Virtual Stick code, unlike some of the previous DJI drones where there was facility within the SDK.  This means that the drone must be within range of the controller at all times for Virtual stick missions to work...  if it disconnects, it will may or may not RTH, no so safe.  Or at least that is my understanding of it.  Even my little old Spark can handle disconnects in Litchi missions, no problem.  This is IMHO a marketing ploy by DJI to force you up a tier to the Pro models now, which are currently way out of date. I was hoping that the "s" would correct this.  Apparently not.

** this may not be true, can't say, but they have not released the capability in the SDK.

I understand this, i have all 3 airs now and i would rather free fly than use dji or bad third party apps, dji are not trying to force people up the chain by not releasing sdk or taking hardware out of drones , the simple fact is no one uses dji waypoints because they are useless, so this is no encouragement up the chain.
2021-4-16
Use props
atomic77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 858117 ft
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 4-16 01:13
I know exactly wat has happened, i own all 3 air drones, i also own M2P and would never attempt to use dji waypoints because its crap and no one uses it, its a lot easier to learn to fly than use bad waypoints.

I'm not talking about in-app waypoints in DJI Go or DJI Fly, but in SDK - ability to use waypoints using API by another apps.

Waypoints are not only for taking fun. They are important  for autonomous flight, mapping (mosaic), 3d scans of buildings, planned complicated hyperlapses or other shoots. It's works perfectly in P3 and Air "1". Just look what you can do using Drone Deploy - which doesn't support MA2 probably because of no waypoints in API.
It's a lot of fun to precisely create such missions at home, on desktop.
It is still possible using other apps, but without DJI support it's not very reliable.
2021-4-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

atomic77 Posted at 4-16 01:27
I'm not talking about in-app waypoints in DJI Go or DJI Fly, but in SDK - ability to use waypoints using API by another apps.

Waypoints are not only for taking fun. They are important  for autonomous flight, mapping (mosaic), 3d scans of buildings, planned complicated hyperlapses or other shoots. It's works perfectly in P3 and Air "1". Just look what you can do using Drone Deploy - which doesn't support MA2 probably because of no waypoints in API.

Exactly and yes air 1 can have third party apps for waypoints work with it, so this makes a pigs ear out of the fact that dji are trying to push people higher up the food chain to get waypoints, it took a long time for dji to update waypoints to M2P and when they did no one used it, so pretty telling just how important this actually was to both users and dji.
Yes new minis and air 2 two are not fully compatible with litchi waypoints, but is this because dji purposely decided to throw a spanner in the works for litchi, i doubt it” more likely it was becoming less important for them in the scale of things, we also dont know if other third party apps are having problems keeping up with new tech in drones, much of the gossip is just that gossip without foundation. We still dont know if apps like litchi will be more compatible with Air2S but speculation and gossip becomes rife.

On the use of third party apps with dji drones as somebody who uses litchi, on this platform i see almost no videos posted using litchi or any other apps so maybe its dying a death. But i see plenty using quickshots POI AT , so what does that tell you, its surely a lot more important for dji if their customers are using their products than others...
2021-4-16
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Poland

atomic77 Posted at 4-16 01:27

Waypoints are not only for taking fun. They are important  for autonomous flight, mapping (mosaic), 3d scans of buildings, planned complicated hyperlapses or other shoots. It's works perfectly in P3 and Air "1". Just look what you can do using Drone Deploy - which doesn't support MA2 probably because of no waypoints in API.

That's exactly the point, but as you can see from the posts above, not everyone understands it.
Świetnie to wyjaśniłeś.
2021-4-16
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

ABSOLUTELY spot on! Couldn't have said it better.  Thanks Hallmark! Dronelink for me. Love it with my MA2. Is it perfect, no but what is?
2021-4-16
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

atomic77 Posted at 4-15 21:06

Sorry, but you are wrong. Dronelink is very reliable,  Percise as you'll ever need, not laggy and uses virtual sticks. I love it. works great.
2021-4-16
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-15 23:31
Hi, Northwood. Thanks for reaching out and posting your inquiry. Currently, the Mavic Air 2S doesn't have a separate feature for Waypoint that's not under the Hyperlapse function but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific to the Mavic Air 2S. Thanks for your continued support!

I love this candid, cooperate response. "we'll forward this feedback to our developers" Not stepping in what your puttin down there Gamora. You're not forwarding a thing. You ARE the developers.
2021-4-16
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The removal of waypoints from the DJI *software* isn't the problem.  Its the removal from the *hardware* and SDK thats the problem.

Mapping, Orthos, Photogrammetry most, if not all the software around (Pix4D, DroneDeploy and the others) use the DJI SDK to upload waypoints for the actual flight.  Without that its a huge loss and no, virtual sticks simply dont cut it.

FWIW about 2 months ago when asked on the Air1 DJI on Twitter responded saying it would never be added due to "hardware limitations".

I really wouldnt expect them to add it back here either...
2021-4-17
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Canada

Sad but true...  its a marketing ploy to send you up the chain.  I was going to get the 2Pro a while back, but the overall functionality of the Air2 and the much lower price fit my retirement plans better.  I can live without proper compatibility, but I will be giving both Litchi and DroneLink a go at some point for waypoints.  I love the Air2 ... I've seen enough videos of DroneLink and its virtual sticks to use it for close up stuff.
2021-4-22
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 4-16 01:20
I understand this, i have all 3 airs now and i would rather free fly than use dji or bad third party apps, dji are not trying to force people up the chain by not releasing sdk or taking hardware out of drones , the simple fact is no one uses dji waypoints because they are useless, so this is no encouragement up the chain.

The hardware changes along with the SDK release borked the Air2's ability to operate autonomously with Litchi/DroneLink like the older drones could (disconnected out of range, mission continues)... that's my gripe.  Perhaps it was a cost savings thing for DJI, I cant believe its market driven because most everyone with a MA2 was crying for this for ages after its release.  Sure, waypoints are not for everyone, and the majority of my flights are manual.  But having the true autonomous option taken away, that ticks me off.

Yep, their implementation of waypoints was not good either, in terms of the Go4 method..., which give the 3rd parties some leverage in the game.  However, workarounds generally work... so I will end my rant. Have a great day.

Oh, and never mind passing this to the developers DJI, we've seen that response many times before for feature requests.  We know its not going to happen this time.
2021-4-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Northwood Posted at 4-22 13:03
The hardware changes along with the SDK release borked the Air2's ability to operate autonomously with Litchi/DroneLink like the older drones could (disconnected out of range, mission continues)... that's my gripe.  Perhaps it was a cost savings thing for DJI, I cant believe its market driven because most everyone with a MA2 was crying for this for ages after its release.  Sure, waypoints are not for everyone, and the majority of my flights are manual.  But having the true autonomous option taken away, that ticks me off.

Yep, their implementation of waypoints was not good either, in terms of the Go4 method..., which give the 3rd parties some leverage in the game.  However, workarounds generally work... so I will end my rant. Have a great day.

I think this arrived with Mavic Mini where it wasn’t possible to create true waypoints for 3rd parties, so could it be something to do with new fly app as well as HW changes, Its clear by development that DJI are leaders in autonomous flight modes on drones, short punchy and much used modes, perhaps they changed something without caring about third party app designers, I dont suppose we will ever find the reason. But all craft running fly app are the craft that are not compatible. I also don’t think dji are interested in waypoints, but we might see this come up again if they release M3P , because all M2P users could avail of both dji and third party apps and dji also allowed the download of Litchi App to their heavily protected Smart Controller, all we can do is wait and see.
2021-4-22
Use props
neofilm
lvl.1

United States

What is the best drone for waypoint video, not hyperlapse. I want to setup a flight path and fly that path over and over again consistently in video mode. This seems like an obvious feature. I was very mislead when I purchased my MA2 thinking it's waypoints would do this, but setting it up drains the battery whereas other apps enable you to set it up on a map. Even still, I could deal with flying to those points and setting it up if I could at least do it in video mode. So, since DJI doesn't want to give us what we or at least I want, what is the best drone from another company that offers this? I'm sure someone here must know. I'd be willing to invest a grand or two or maybe even more if the specs are right and it can do waypoints for video and store this for repeated future flights using the identical path.
2021-5-2
Use props
MichaelMuni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160249 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-16 02:38
Exactly and yes air 1 can have third party apps for waypoints work with it, so this makes a pigs ear out of the fact that dji are trying to push people higher up the food chain to get waypoints, it took a long time for dji to update waypoints to M2P and when they did no one used it, so pretty telling just how important this actually was to both users and dji.
Yes new minis and air 2 two are not fully compatible with litchi waypoints, but is this because dji purposely decided to throw a spanner in the works for litchi, i doubt it” more likely it was becoming less important for them in the scale of things, we also dont know if other third party apps are having problems keeping up with new tech in drones, much of the gossip is just that gossip without foundation. We still dont know if apps like litchi will be more compatible with Air2S but speculation and gossip becomes rife.

For someone that has no clue what they are talking about you speak like you really know it all.

for 3rd party apps to be able to communicate with a drone, Mobile SDK support has to be added by DJI for that drone. It is all in DJI's hands on if they want to allow 3rd party apps to work with a drone or not.

This has nothing to do with 3rd parties not keeping up with new tech and 100% on DJI not keeping up in adding SDK support on their own new tech/drones.
2021-6-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MichaelMuni Posted at 6-13 13:44
For someone that has no clue what they are talking about you speak like you really know it all.

for 3rd party apps to be able to communicate with a drone, Mobile SDK support has to be added by DJI for that drone. It is all in DJI's hands on if they want to allow 3rd party apps to work with a drone or not.

For somebody who thinks he knows everything. You really are full of your own BS. Move on idiot its not going to happen. Learn how to fly , you won’t need waypoints. This is old hat now …
2021-6-13
Use props
MichaelMuni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160249 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-13 13:57
For somebody who thinks he knows everything. You really are full of your own BS. Move on idiot its not going to happen. Learn how to fly , you won’t need waypoints. This is old hat now …

are you one of those people that think the vaccine makes you magnetic? watch out you may damage your drone if you touch it.
2021-6-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MichaelMuni Posted at 6-13 14:29
are you one of those people that think the vaccine makes you magnetic? watch out you may damage your drone if you touch it.

No that is definitely one that only emanates in the US, to many Qanus idiots who can’t fly their drones because they drank to much Lysol on the say so of a fat orange man. Now do one and annoy someone else…
2021-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules