First Crash after 12 hours flight time. Log viewer.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tytlyf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72867 ft
United States

First time in years I've crashed.  AC ran into multiple errors during flight and basically flew off somersaulting and landed in a tree/backyard.  I'm not bothering retreiving it.
See anything weird in this log?  Powerlines around but have never had issues with this AC.  I should have landed after the first set of warnings, but kept flying.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/IPB9EIJVD05ZD83MYXSD/#
2021-4-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It looks to me like you launched with a bad compass, even with no warning at that time.  A bad compass means your compass is not calibrated or it's been launched near ferrous metal which confuses the compass as to where magnetic north is located.  When you launch with a bad compass, the AC will often shudder and shake as it hovers right after launch.  It looks like you launched from a driveway?  Is that your house?  Do you frequently launch from that driveway?  Was there a vehicle parked nearby when you launched?  Is it possible there's rebar in the concrete?  Looks like your first compass warning was about the two and a half minute mark.  A compass warning is about the worst thing that can happen to a drone.  You would have been wise to try to bring it in at that point.  Sorry for your loss.  
2021-4-15
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-15 15:16
It looks to me like you launched with a bad compass, even with no warning at that time.  A bad compass means your compass is not calibrated or it's been launched near ferrous metal which confuses the compass as to where magnetic north is located.  When you launch with a bad compass, the AC will often shudder and shake as it hovers right after launch.  It looks like you launched from a driveway?  Is that your house?  Do you frequently launch from that driveway?  Was there a vehicle parked nearby when you launched?  Is it possible there's rebar in the concrete?  Looks like your first compass warning was about the two and a half minute mark.  A compass warning is about the worst thing that can happen to a drone.  You would have been wise to try to bring it in at that point.  Sorry for your loss.

I can't remember the last time I've calibrated the compass.  The AC has been solid since day 1.  Unfortunately, I can't avoid powerlines as I mostly fly in residential areas.
Not my home, was taking pictures of it.  Took off from driveway, no errors.  Flew normally until that first error.  When it recovered, I kept flying and thought everything was back to normal.
Lesson learned is bring the AC in and at least power things down.  And possibly try again.
2021-4-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't think the power lines had anything to do with it.  There was likely rebar in the concrete, or a vehicle parked too close to the drone when it was launched.  Either of these would temporarily screw up the compass.  It doesn't mean the compass is out of calibration.  It means the compass on start up was tricked into thinking mag north was in one direction when in fact it was in a different direction due to the ferrous metal.  And when that happens, you're pretty much doomed if you fly off with it like that.  Like I said, it'll usually shudder and shake on the first moments of launch.  Or if it's just a little mucked up, it will circle slowly when in hover, known as the toilet bowl effect.  If you fly off with it like that, you'd be lucky to get it back.  Sorry again.  
2021-4-15
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-15 15:50
I don't think the power lines had anything to do with it.  There was likely rebar in the concrete, or a vehicle parked too close to the drone when it was launched.  Either of these would temporarily screw up the compass.  It doesn't mean the compass is out of calibration.  It means the compass on start up was tricked into thinking mag north was in one direction when in fact it was in a different direction due to the ferrous metal.  And when that happens, you're pretty much doomed if you fly off with it like that.  Like I said, it'll usually shudder and shake on the first moments of launch.  Or if it's just a little mucked up, it will circle slowly when in hover, known as the toilet bowl effect.  If you fly off with it like that, you'd be lucky to get it back.  Sorry again.

Thanks for the feedback, never knew about watching the movement after takeoff.
Live and learn!
2021-4-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-15 15:16

You are trying to describe a yaw error incident but not doing it very well.

This incident doesn't appear to be caused by a yaw error at all.
If it was, it would have shown up early in teh flight when the drone was turned away from its initial heading.
But this incident didn't show until after 5 minutes of having the drone flown all over the sky.
It doesn't have any yaw error warnings either or the characteristic high speed uncommanded curved flight path.

The initial warnings are Speed Errors which indicates a data conflict between the GPS and gyro sensors, possibly due to a hardware issue with the IMU.
2021-4-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there tytlyf. I am sorry to read and to know know what happened to your DJI drone and for the trouble this has caused. Since this unfortunate event happened I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance.  We have a team that will do there best to check what happened to the said drone and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-4-15
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-15 21:36
Hello there tytlyf. I am sorry to read and to know know what happened to your DJI drone and for the trouble this has caused. Since this unfortunate event happened I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance.  We have a team that will do there best to check what happened to the said drone and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.

Thanks for the info.  I'll send the log over and see what people think happened.  It happened twice in the flight.  Completely out of control and was surprised it recovered after the first set of errors.  I should have landed after that.
2021-4-16
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-15 18:51
You are trying to describe a yaw error incident but not doing it very well.

This incident doesn't appear to be caused by a yaw error at all.

There was a first set of errors around 2:30 mark.  Lost control and it flew off and regained stability.  Kept flying and a couple mins later the same problem appeared....but more severe.
2021-4-16
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Your real problem started at 4m 58.4s when with a combination of Speed but mainly compass error, the drone went over to ATTI (manual control) mode, ie YOU had control, not the Drone.
Don't know if you could actually see the drone at that time but at that point YOU should have manually flown the drone home or at least climbed out of immediate trouble.
Not sure but you could possibly have initiated RTH, but possibly not as the drone was not functioning properly.
Why not retrieving it, shouldn't be too much damage landing in a tree.
2021-4-16
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

cheddar-man Posted at 4-16 05:15
Your real problem started at 4m 58.4s when with a combination of Speed but mainly compass error, the drone went over to ATTI (manual control) mode, ie YOU had control, not the Drone.
Don't know if you could actually see the drone at that time but at that point YOU should have manually flown the drone home or at least climbed out of immediate trouble.
Not sure but you could possibly have initiated RTH, but possibly not as the drone was not functioning properly.

I didn't have much control during these situations.  Especially the 2nd set of errors.  I had the AC in sight and watched it do somersaults.  Had a mind of it's own.  
2021-4-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

tytlyf Posted at 4-16 05:02
There was a first set of errors around 2:30 mark.  Lost control and it flew off and regained stability.  Kept flying and a couple mins later the same problem appeared....but more severe.

There was a first set of errors around 2:30 mark.
I know .. .I read your flight data.
2021-4-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cheddar-man Posted at 4-16 05:15

You wouldn't have said that if you could read flight data and see what was happenning to the drone.
The hardware issues made it uncontrollable.

2021-4-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

tytlyf Posted at 4-16 04:42
Thanks for the info.  I'll send the log over and see what people think happened.  It happened twice in the flight.  Completely out of control and was surprised it recovered after the first set of errors.  I should have landed after that.

Hi there tytlyf. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have give. Rest assured that once our DJI support team has finished the said assessment on the said DJI drone. We will be able to know what really happened to the said DJI drone. Please keep us posted and thank you.
2021-4-19
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-19 22:19
Hi there tytlyf. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have give. Rest assured that once our DJI support team has finished the said assessment on the said DJI drone. We will be able to know what really happened to the said DJI drone. Please keep us posted and thank you.

I'll report back when I get word on the assessment.  I sent the log to support a few days ago.
2021-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules