3017 19 2021-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
garyphayes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27840676 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have not mistreated my Mavic Air 2. Hand catch land, put batteries in holding the drone, fold out props at take off, kept in all round support case - did a few sports mode tests recently and these cracks developed - now being told by Dji repair that this is user damage?!

stress crack

stress crack
2021-4-16
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

I don't know much or I've seen this, but it seems that cracks can appear with the cold or a big change in temperature. But what appeals to me is the hole it's really strange it actually looks like there was a crash. Do you have children? Maybe they dropped it without telling you. Children never tell the truth when they do something stupid  ;)
2021-4-16
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

-> now being told by Dji repair that this is user damage?!

Of course it's your fault. They don't allow you to use third party parts but you did when you put the evil eye stickers on it.
2021-4-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can they prove it, like surely your flight logs will show if drone crashed. We have seen stress cracks many times “so we know they happen”
2021-4-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It knows it’s time to upgrade.  
2021-4-16
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

VanzPix Posted at 4-16 08:11
I don't know much or I've seen this, but it seems that cracks can appear with the cold or a big change in temperature. But what appeals to me is the hole it's really strange it actually looks like there was a crash. Do you have children? Maybe they dropped it without telling you. Children never tell the truth when they do something stupid  ;)

No children, in fact no one else has used it. It has certainly turned cold here in Australia and now you mention it one of the last flights I did up in the Blue Mtns was just above zero - but that has never caused an issue before ...
2021-4-16
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 4-16 11:31
It knows it’s time to upgrade.

Oh you mean my annual $2000 AUD subscription to Dji ?
2021-4-16
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 4-16 09:34
Can they prove it, like surely your flight logs will show if drone crashed. We have seen stress cracks many times “so we know they happen”

Yes the logs will show no 'impacts' - seeing other threads on this, seems they do not want to admit there is a flaw in the outer shell
2021-4-16
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

FloridaNext Posted at 4-16 08:27
-> now being told by Dji repair that this is user damage?!

Of course it's your fault. They don't allow you to use third party parts but you did when you put the evil eye stickers on it.

Yes evil eye stickers and Flight Authority numbers void warranty!
2021-4-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

garyphayes Posted at 4-16 13:09
Yes the logs will show no 'impacts' - seeing other threads on this, seems they do not want to admit there is a flaw in the outer shell

That’s not strictly true, I’ve had a mavic pro changed for stress cracks, i would forcefully make your case to them and insist they prove yo damaged drone by crashing it.
2021-4-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

1. The damage is not really structural and should not lead to a failure.

2. If it bothers you (it would bother me), replace the top cover (upper shell), takes about 20 minutes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origina ... 47675.c101195.m1851

You only need to do the first part, not the whole teardown. Note the added comment about removing the bottom shell first.
2021-4-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

garyphayes Posted at 4-16 13:07
Oh you mean my annual $2000 AUD subscription to Dji ?

Indeed thats the one.
2021-4-17
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 4-16 18:54
1. The damage is not really structural and should not lead to a failure.

2. If it bothers you (it would bother me), replace the top cover (upper shell), takes about 20 minutes:

Thanks GaryDoug - yes looks easy but as I was in the 1 year warranty plus I have a backup Care Refresh I though it important for Dji to fix this issue ... outside warranty I have no issues with doing this stuff ... in fact in my out of warranty first Mavic Pro I replaced the gimbal ribbon cable which was a 2 hour job, but again the cable wore down because of bad design vs anything on my part ...
2021-4-17
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 4-16 14:43
That’s not strictly true, I’ve had a mavic pro changed for stress cracks, i would forcefully make your case to them and insist they prove yo damaged drone by crashing it.

Next step - lucky I have a backup Phantom 4 Pro, guess for others who want it back quickly they just give in and pay
2021-4-17
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks all - DJi finally agreed it was a warranty issue and are fixing as such ... I think it is important when you know you haven't impacted it to stick with it and I guess many would just pay the small fee or refresh it, as it is it restored my faith in DJi and have ordered a brand new Air2s with refresh (now lets hope that doesn't develop any stress cracks) ...
2021-4-21
Use props
pabloditrueba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275259 ft
Spain

garyphayes Posted at 4-16 13:09
Yes the logs will show no 'impacts' - seeing other threads on this, seems they do not want to admit there is a flaw in the outer shell

My drone has a fissure as well in the same place, already quite small, but i think its caused by stress of the material.
I will send to repair service... i hope they will take care, there hasnt been any crash
2021-4-30
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

pabloditrueba Posted at 4-30 07:30
My drone has a fissure as well in the same place, already quite small, but i think its caused by stress of the material.
I will send to repair service... i hope they will take care, there hasnt been any crash

Yes it should be covered under warranty. Good luck
2021-4-30
Use props
pabloditrueba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275259 ft
Spain

garyphayes Posted at 4-30 12:06
Yes it should be covered under warranty. Good luck

I have just received response, it will be covered under warranty.

The question is: will it break again? Or have they modify the upper cover?
2021-5-10
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

Does it have anything producing heat internally right under that part of the shell? Could it be cold from the outside of the shell and heat right at that spot on the inside that maybe made the shell somewhat brittle there? Just throwing something out there cuz I'm about to get a used Air 2 and would like to know all there is to know about it...
2021-5-10
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

doglaboi Posted at 5-10 10:25
Does it have anything producing heat internally right under that part of the shell? Could it be cold from the outside of the shell and heat right at that spot on the inside that maybe made the shell somewhat brittle there? Just throwing something out there cuz I'm about to get a used Air 2 and would like to know all there is to know about it...

I got a new MA2 eventually under warranty (thanks Dji) - but no mention of how or why the crack developed. I can only suspect there may be batches of them where the shell is more prone to this sort of thing given others have had the issue - albeit low numbers I suspect.
2021-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules