Poll: Mavic Air 2 vs 2S
12Next >
4873 59 2021-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

I was sort of worried that MA2S might obsolete my MA2 in just 5 months I have owed it.
Luckly for me, the upgrades that came with MA2S don't really excite me all that much.
Upgrades such as 1080P@6FPS liveview or side sensors would have though.
If I were to make a choice between the two today, I would still go with MA2.
Some might say otherwise, but the upgrades aren't worth $200 (or $311 more if fly more combo) to me.
What do you think?
Do you think MA2S is worth the extra $200 (or $311 if fly more combo)?

Edit: As for the MA2S fly more combo, it's $300 extra, while MA2 fly more combo is only $189 extra. That's $111 more for basically the same set of accessories!
Edit 2: Note that while all the attention is with the upgrades, the reduced operating temprature range is considered a downgrade!
Single SelectVote, Total 97 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

11.34% (11)
22.68% (22)
14.43% (14)
51.55% (50)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2021-4-16
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

It did not excite me as well. It would, if it now had waypoints, zoom in photo modes like the mini2 got.
And another showstopper for the Air 2 S i just dicovered, it can only be operated at a temperature 32°F (0°C) and above and not like the Air 2 at 14°F (-10°C) or even at a lower temperatur as proved last winter.
2021-4-16
Use props
BalooDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 684501 ft
Denmark

Why do they make an OcuSync 3 drone, and ship it with an OcuSync 2 remote ?
That seems strange and stupid to me.
How can it benefit from the OS3 then ?

2021-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If I had the Air2, I would upgrade because I like new toys
2021-4-16
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

MySky Posted at 4-16 12:13
It did not excite me as well. It would, if it now had waypoints, zoom in photo modes like the mini2 got.
And another showstopper for the Air 2 S i just dicovered, it can only be operated at a temperature 32°F (0°C) and above and not like the Air 2 at 14°F (-10°C) or even at a lower temperatur as proved last winter.

Wow...reduced temperature range...that's a shocker.
Is DJI skimping on parts to save $$$?
Or could it be that DJI's inability to source quality US parts (due to the Entity Listing) to operate over the wide temperature range?
I work in the semiconductor industry and I know it gets increasingly difficult and expensive to design and manufacture chips that operate over a wider temperature range.
Either way, that alone may be a deal breaker to many in the cold region.
Thanks for sharing.

2021-4-16
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

BalooDK Posted at 4-16 12:21

I am pretty sure they will make it compatible with O3 remotes in the near future.
But yeah, it's a shame that owners of MA2S would have to pay extra to buy an O3 remote to take advantage of O3 radio if they don't have one already from the FPV drone.
2021-4-16
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Suren Posted at 4-16 12:32
If I had the Air2, I would upgrade because I like new toys

Very well!
2021-4-16
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5821801 ft
  • >>>
United States

BalooDK Posted at 4-16 12:21

They can make this work, but not make the sc work with mini 2?
2021-4-16
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I don't think I'm going to upgrade. The ma2 does everything I want, and need it too. So far, I've been happy with it. If I'm going to spend the $, Im thinking about the fpv
2021-4-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I happy with MA2 so I'll wait for the DJI Pro 3.  
2021-4-16
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

MySky Posted at 4-16 12:13
And another showstopper for the Air 2 S i just dicovered, it can only be operated at a temperature 32°F (0°C) and above and not like the Air 2 at 14°F (-10°C) or even at a lower temperatur as proved last winter.

You can zoom in on a photo once you're back home editing. It's called cropping. And that's all the drone would be doing anyway, because there is no optical zoom.
2021-4-16
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

I went ahead and bought the Air 2S today at Best Buy. The main reason being that I still had the opportunity to return the MA2 and get full credit for it. With tax, it came out to a $349 difference between the two. Is it worth that much more? I don't know. But it would have been an even bigger difference in price if I waited.
2021-4-16
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 4-16 16:29
I went ahead and bought the Air 2S today at Best Buy. The main reason being that I still had the opportunity to return the MA2 and get full credit for it. With tax, it came out to a $349 difference between the two. Is it worth that much more? I don't know. But it would have been an even bigger difference in price if I waited.

Well, you could have waited a few months for the mavic 3, and the air 2s will be obsolete, and be $988.. just saying
2021-4-16
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Congrats on getting the new A2S. Although I love my MA2 and will not upgrade at this time, I think upgrading to a A2S for an extra $350 is a no brainer.    Fly and stay safe!
2021-4-16
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

Djimaniac Posted at 4-16 17:24
Well, you could have waited a few months for the mavic 3, and the air 2s will be obsolete, and be $988.. just saying

I'll gladly sell ALL my drones when the Spark 2S finally arrives!
2021-4-16
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

OMG! $349 (inc tax) difference between the 2 fly more combos.
Why would DJI charge $300 more for basically the same set of accessories for MA2S while it's only $189 more for the MA2???
Makes no sense to me if you ask me.
2021-4-16
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

DIY_Quad Posted at 4-16 20:06
OMG! $349 (inc tax) difference between the 2 fly more combos.
Why would DJI charge $300 more for basically the same set of accessories for MA2S while it's only $189 more for the MA2???
Makes no sense to me if you ask me.

That's a fair question. But when the MA2 first came out, it was also $300 extra for the FlyMore. And that was still a deal, considering what buying all the stuff would cost separately. A year from now, the MA2S FlyMore will no doubt be priced a bit cheaper.
2021-4-16
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 4-16 20:37
That's a fair question. But when the MA2 first came out, it was also $300 extra for the FlyMore. And that was still a deal, considering what buying all the stuff would cost separately. A year from now, the MA2S FlyMore will no doubt be priced a bit cheaper.

That I did not know.
Thanks for sharing!
2021-4-16
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1702457 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still no goggle support, so it will be a No for me.
2021-4-16
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Woobisah Posted at 4-16 21:17
Still no goggle support, so it will be a No for me.

Yeah, MA2 sucks when it comes to goggle support.
With O3 radio on MA2S, it might be possible through firmware update in the future.
In the meantime, if you don't care about head tracking (too laggy anyways), there are few different ways to get your MA2 to work with goggles.
Here is one implementation; https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233756
2021-4-16
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

DGCA3 Posted at 4-16 15:59
You can zoom in on a photo once you're back home editing. It's called cropping. And that's all the drone would be doing anyway, because there is no optical zoom.

That's the comment i expected. You can do the same with videos, so why did they add digital zoom for video modes. And why did they add this to the mini2.
But in real life it makes sense to check in advance with zoom or to fly closer to an objekt to get more details for a picture that should be cropped after.
2021-4-16
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

In reality, MA2 doesn't have to blush
2021-4-17
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

MySky Posted at 4-16 23:55
That's the comment i expected. You can do the same with videos, so why did they add digital zoom for video modes. And why did they add this to the mini2.
But in real life it makes sense to check in advance with zoom or to fly closer to an objekt to get more details for a picture that should be cropped after.

The zoom can be interesting for live inspection
2021-4-17
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Djimaniac Posted at 4-16 17:24

I guess everyone looks at it differently. In MY opinion, when a new drone comes out, it doesn't make the previous model obsolete.
2021-4-17
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RedSky119 Posted at 4-17 09:43
I guess everyone looks at it differently. In MY opinion, when a new drone comes out, it doesn't make the previous model obsolete.

Thats why i said what i said. Seems like every few months a new drone comes out, and everybody runs out a buys new drone, and forgets about the one they just bought! The mini came out, then a few months later the mini 2, then mavic a2, then fpv was all the talk, now a2s.....and just like that, it seems the fpv is forgotten. All you have to do, is wait a few months, and the price comes down, and also, gives dji time to work all the "bugs" out.
2021-4-17
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Djimaniac Posted at 4-17 09:51
Thats why i said what i said. Seems like every few months a new drone comes out, and everybody runs out a buys new drone, and forgets about the one they just bought! The mini came out, then a few months later the mini 2, then mavic a2, then fpv was all the talk, now a2s.....and just like that, it seems the fpv is forgotten. All you have to do, is wait a few months, and the price comes down, and also, gives dji time to work all the "bugs" out.

I agree. I'm glad that didn't happen to me with the Mini. I bought the Mini2 for the Occusync, better wind resistance..... and figured I wouldn't pay much attention to the Mini anymore, but the opposite happened. I like using Mini2 when I want to fly farther, in windier conditions or when flying from inside my car (rarely), but consider the Mini to be an awesome drone that I still really enjoy flying and don't consider to be obsolete.
2021-4-17
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Reduced operating temperature range for MAS2 is considered a DOWNGRADE!
2021-4-17
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both the mavic mini and the mavic air 2. I'm not upgrading this time around for either of them. Just not in the financials at the moment. If that wasn't an issue, I probably would upgrade both of them. I originally bought the mavic mini as an upgrade to the tello that I have and still fly on occasion. I bout the MA2 as an upgrade to the mavic mini. When I bought the mini, the tello was handed down to my fiance as a learner drone. She loves it. When I bought the MA2, my fiance laid claim to the mini. She loves it too, but I still use both the mini and the MA2 depending on the situation. I would upgrade the mini to the mini 2 just so she could get some distance and a little more wind resistance that what the mini has. But all in all, we are happy with what we currently have so sitting out this round of upgraded drones doesn't bother me so much.
2021-4-19
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

JodyB Posted at 4-19 07:18
I have both the mavic mini and the mavic air 2. I'm not upgrading this time around for either of them. Just not in the financials at the moment. If that wasn't an issue, I probably would upgrade both of them. I originally bought the mavic mini as an upgrade to the tello that I have and still fly on occasion. I bout the MA2 as an upgrade to the mavic mini. When I bought the mini, the tello was handed down to my fiance as a learner drone. She loves it. When I bought the MA2, my fiance laid claim to the mini. She loves it too, but I still use both the mini and the MA2 depending on the situation. I would upgrade the mini to the mini 2 just so she could get some distance and a little more wind resistance that what the mini has. But all in all, we are happy with what we currently have so sitting out this round of upgraded drones doesn't bother me so much.

Thanks for your input.
Do you believe extra $200 (or $311 for fly more) is justified for the upgrades and a downgrade that come with MA2S?
If your fiance takes over your MA2 and you need another drone, would you consider getting another MA2 for less?
It comes down to whether you really need the upgrades that came with MA2S.
2021-4-19
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DIY_Quad Posted at 4-19 10:19
Thanks for your input.
Do you believe extra $200 (or $311 for fly more) is justified for the upgrades and a downgrade that come with MA2S?
If your fiance takes over your MA2 and you need another drone, would you consider getting another MA2 for less?

It probably is worth the extra $200 to be honest. The 1" camera sensor and the extra front facing OA sensors probably is worth it. Not to mention 2 extra antenna's in the rear of the drone. Whether I would go for the A2s or another MA2 would depend greatly on the funds available to me. If money was not a question, I would more than likely do the upgrade. But with three school age boys, funds is always a concern LOL!!!
2021-4-19
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

JodyB Posted at 4-19 11:34
It probably is worth the extra $200 to be honest. The 1" camera sensor and the extra front facing OA sensors probably is worth it. Not to mention 2 extra antenna's in the rear of the drone. Whether I would go for the A2s or another MA2 would depend greatly on the funds available to me. If money was not a question, I would more than likely do the upgrade. But with three school age boys, funds is always a concern LOL!!!

Man...it's incredible how you can keep up with your drone hobby while supporting 3 boys!
Looking forward to the day the 3 boys asking for their own drones...hehe
2021-4-19
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DIY_Quad Posted at 4-19 11:57
Man...it's incredible how you can keep up with your drone hobby while supporting 3 boys!
Looking forward to the day the 3 boys asking for their own drones...hehe

Oh I know. That day is coming for sure. I'm actually hoping some of the ones that I have now are durable enough to make it as hand me downs, LOL!!
2021-4-19
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I wouldn't bother upgrading mine. The new sensor size is nice but there are still no sharpness or aperture settings. I'll wait for the MP3, I don't think it's worth upgrading if you have a MA2 to be honest...
2021-4-19
Use props
tmansmusic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29964 ft
United States

I wish DJI provided a more streamlined path for MA2 owners to upgrade to an Air 2S (better than what's officially offered in their Trade Up program). With so much interoperability between the two it seems like a no-brainer.
2021-4-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was almost ready to click on buy for the MA2s when I thought: "Maybe I can find a used M2P for the same price" ... and I did ... and ordered it. I will see how that worked.
2021-4-19
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 4-19 18:11
I was almost ready to click on buy for the MA2s when I thought: "Maybe I can find a used M2P for the same price" ... and I did ... and ordered it. I will see how that worked.

That's a smart move I must say.
2021-4-19
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

tmansmusic Posted at 4-19 16:37
I wish DJI provided a more streamlined path for MA2 owners to upgrade to an Air 2S (better than what's officially offered in their Trade Up program). With so much interoperability between the two it seems like a no-brainer.

That would be great for some MA2 owners but probably not DJI's best interest.
2021-4-19
Use props
djiuser_iIva2eqYKz1o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
United States

The Air 2S lacks waypoints and the OS3 only exists within the drone itself. It is nothing more than two additional antennas in the rear arms/legs. It’s got an improved camera which is nice. For now I’ll stick with the Air 2 and it’s backup Mavic Pro.  
2021-4-20
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I wouldn't mind the low light improvements the S has over the MA2, but other than that, not much to get excited about (I dont shoot many photos, so 20MP is no biggie). I live in a cold climate, so the 0 degree C rating is a downgrade.  If I do end up upgrading it will be to a Mavic Pro 3 or whatever that might be called.  Being retired and a senior, I am disheartened by the increasing price for not much more and the short window between model releases.  I may have to downgrade the wife to get away with it... LOL

I am very happy with the MA2, its an excellent bird, I like the videos I can make with it, 4k/60 is plenty for me.  It flies far enough and in stiff winds.  All I need.
2021-5-24
Use props
5Vadim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 627756 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Hello All. My name is Vadim and I am considering pros of D-Log 10-bit RAW video in this drone. Unfortunately, I can`t find any  4K D-Log 10-bit samples in the internet. I only see 5 K BUT my PC does not play this 10-bit video and I can not understand the reason. Could anyone please upload 4K D-Log 10-bit 30 fps RAW sample about 1 min to any cloud drive and send me the link . Thank you in advance. Vadim
2021-6-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules