Help Pairing The Air 2S With The Smart Controller?
25178 29 2021-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422549 ft
United States

Hello everyone!  I hate that my very first post here is a plea for help rather than a contribution to the community but I'm brand new to drones and I just bought my very first one yesterday.  I got the Air 2S as well as the Smart Controller.  I've followed the step-by-step instructions for pairing them as described in this video however I can't get them to pair:

I've confirmed that I have the latest firmware installed (V01.01.0040) on the controller.  Where I run into a problem is at 1:55 in the video.  I get to the point where it says, "Press and hold the power button on the underside of the aircraft for 4 seconds until the aircraft beeps to indicate it is in the pairing mode."  Obviously, for the Air 2S the power button is on the top of the aircraft however when I press and hold the power button for 4 seconds as advised the Smart Controller just continues to beep and it does not pair with the Air 2S.  So, I can't get to the next step where you name the aircraft.  I'm stuck at the point where the pairing just doesn't happen.

One thing I did notice that is different on my Air 2S from what I see in the video is that the rear lights on my Air 2S are rapidly blinking yellow from the time I power it on.  They continue to rapidly blink yellow as I attempt to do the pairing.  I noticed in the video that the rear lights on his Air 2S are not blinking prior to him pairing with the Smart Controller as mine are.  I found a table of Warning Light Meanings and it seems that the rapidly blinking rear yellow lights indicate "remote controller signal lost".  Well, I guess that makes sense since my Air 2S has never been paired with the Smart Controller but what I found odd is that in the video his rear lights are not rapidly blinking yellow prior to him pairing with the Smart Controller.

I hope this all makes sense, again I'm a total newb to this whole drone flying but I'm very enthusiastic about learning as much as I can.  I hope someone here has a suggestion as to what I may be doing wrong here or if there may be some problem with my Air 2S that it won't pair with the Smart Controller.  Please help me get my Air 2S paired with the Smart Controller so I can get out and start flying.  Thanks in advance for any assistance with this issue.

2021-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I don't have a smart controller but from the video it shows that you must enable the smart controller to see the Air2S which is around a minute into the video, have you done that
2021-4-16
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

Suren Posted at 4-16 13:11
I don't have a smart controller but from the video it shows that you must enable the smart controller to see the Air2S which is around a minute into the video, have you done that

Yes, I followed his step-by-step instructions to the letter but no luck.
2021-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Chuck Campfield Posted at 4-16 13:15
Yes, I followed his step-by-step instructions to the letter but no luck.

Not sure then, hopefully a Mod comes along and assists you, good luck
2021-4-16
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

Suren Posted at 4-16 13:22
Not sure then, hopefully a Mod comes along and assists you, good luck

Thanks for the suggestion.  Yeah, I hope a mod or someone familiar with this process can help out.
2021-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Chuck Campfield Posted at 4-16 13:42
Thanks for the suggestion.  Yeah, I hope a mod or someone familiar with this process can help out.

2021-4-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Have you updated your SC through dji assistant ?
2021-4-16
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-16 14:47
Have you updated your SC through dji assistant ?

Ok, so I finally got the Air 2S to pair with the SC.  I had to start from scratch and first pair the drone with the standard RC-N1 remote.  Once I downloaded/installed the DJI Fly app to my iPhone I was prompted to "Activate Aircraft" and update the Air 2S firmware.  So, after setting up/pairing the Air 2S with the RC-N1 I was then able to follow the directions in the video for pairing the Air 2S to the SC without issue.  Maybe someone who actually knows what they're doing could have done all that through the SC on its own but I'm still trying to figure all this out.

I ran through the 10-minute tutorial and took it for a spin around my house and everything seems to be working just fine at this point.  That being said, I'm truly a total newb with a lot to learn.  I'm signing up for some lessons next week so I can do this right.  That being said since you mentioned the "DJI Assistant" I looked all around my SC menus and I didn't see anything like that.  Is it something I need to somehow download to my SC?  And thank you for your suggestion.
2021-4-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Chuck Campfield. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. Based on your response, you're able to sort the issue already but for reference, it is required that you also update the Mavic Air 2S to version v02.04.16.40 via the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) before it can be linked to the DJI Smart Controller that is already running V01.01.0040. Once they're all running the matching firmware, they can now be linked and use together.
2021-4-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Chuck Campfield Posted at 4-16 15:44
Ok, so I finally got the Air 2S to pair with the SC.  I had to start from scratch and first pair the drone with the standard RC-N1 remote.  Once I downloaded/installed the DJI Fly app to my iPhone I was prompted to "Activate Aircraft" and update the Air 2S firmware.  So, after setting up/pairing the Air 2S with the RC-N1 I was then able to follow the directions in the video for pairing the Air 2S to the SC without issue.  Maybe someone who actually knows what they're doing could have done all that through the SC on its own but I'm still trying to figure all this out.

I ran through the 10-minute tutorial and took it for a spin around my house and everything seems to be working just fine at this point.  That being said, I'm truly a total newb with a lot to learn.  I'm signing up for some lessons next week so I can do this right.  That being said since you mentioned the "DJI Assistant" I looked all around my SC menus and I didn't see anything like that.  Is it something I need to somehow download to my SC?  And thank you for your suggestion.

You need to download dji assistant from dji website to laptop or computer, some firmware downloads are preformed through assistant and if you check the new download release notes it requires to do through assistant, although some choose to ignore this and manage through app, its not always the case it works.

Initially it can be cumbersome getting around the firmware software uploads downloads etc, but once you get over this hump it will be a lot easier but have the patience to stick with it and it will pay of very soon, so setting up will become a lot easier and straight forward. It does seem you are well on the way to getting thee. Good luck with the new purchase and hope you get many hours of enjoyment from it.
2021-4-17
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-17 01:16
You need to download dji assistant from dji website to laptop or computer, some firmware downloads are preformed through assistant and if you check the new download release notes it requires to do through assistant, although some choose to ignore this and manage through app, its not always the case it works.

Initially it can be cumbersome getting around the firmware software uploads downloads etc, but once you get over this hump it will be a lot easier but have the patience to stick with it and it will pay of very soon, so setting up will become a lot easier and straight forward. It does seem you are well on the way to getting thee. Good luck with the new purchase and hope you get many hours of enjoyment from it.

Thank you for the advice and encouragement.
2021-4-17
Use props
fans4f85c927
New

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-17 00:17
Hi, Chuck Campfield. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. Based on your response, you're able to sort the issue already but for reference, it is required that you also update the Mavic Air 2S to version v02.04.16.40 via the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) before it can be linked to the DJI Smart Controller that is already running V01.01.0040. Once they're all running the matching firmware, they can now be linked and use together.

I'm not having any luck at all getting either the smart controller or the RC that come with the drone to link with the drone. I have updated the firmware..... twice I've done it. Any other ideas?
2021-4-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans4f85c927 Posted at 4-22 11:29
I'm not having any luck at all getting either the smart controller or the RC that come with the drone to link with the drone. I have updated the firmware..... twice I've done it. Any other ideas?

If both the aircraft and remote are already running the latest firmware, we suggest that you refresh the aircraft and remote's firmware thru the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) before linking them again. In addition, we recommend trying and link them using the Combination Button.

2021-4-22
Use props
djiuser_ncJhMemYv0hi
lvl.2

United States

I understand your frustration, I also cannot get my SC to pair with the air 2 s, it did work flawlessly when I owned the M2P and worked when I owned the Mavic air 2 but still had to keep pressing the power button, at least the air 2 would finally work but not the 2S.
2021-4-27
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_ncJhMemYv0hi Posted at 4-27 11:55
I understand your frustration, I also cannot get my SC to pair with the air 2 s, it did work flawlessly when I owned the M2P and worked when I owned the Mavic air 2 but still had to keep pressing the power button, at least the air 2 would finally work but not the 2S.

I was able to resolve the issue.  Initially, I was trying to pair the Smart Controller to the aircraft (both devices brand new right out of the box).  After hours of trying, I decided to follow the directions to pair the aircraft with the remote that came with it.  It paired just fine with the included remote control on the very first try.  Then I went back to the Smart Controller and tried pairing it again and all of the sudden it paired perfectly and I've been using the Smart Controller ever since.

So, that being said I would recommend trying to pair the aircraft with the included remote controller first, and then after a successful pairing (and updating of any firmware) try to pair it with the Smart Controller.  I'd be interested to hear if your results are the same as mine.
2021-4-27
Use props
ianzinnerphoto
New

United States

If anyone else has been having this issue with an Android, the problem for me was downloading the DJI Fly App straight from the DJI Website/download page first. https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly The app on the Google Play Store for Androids must be outdated. Then updating the firmware on the Air2S through the Fly App on the phone, than the SC worked fine.
2021-4-29
Use props
djiuser_YZUsBqNkuJhI
New

United States

I have the exact same problem, just beeps try's to pair but never pairs.
2021-4-29
Use props
NozeDive
New

Germany

Same here. You cant connect the air 2s out of the box with the SC. The device first needs to be activated via the dji fly app on the phone. So you need to connect the air 2s first to the remote the comes with the aircraft. after installing the newest firmware over the dji fly app it should connect also with the smart controller.
2021-4-30
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

NozeDive Posted at 4-30 02:54
Same here. You cant connect the air 2s out of the box with the SC. The device first needs to be activated via the dji fly app on the phone. So you need to connect the air 2s first to the remote the comes with the aircraft. after installing the newest firmware over the dji fly app it should connect also with the smart controller.

Yup, makes no sense considering you’re using the fly app on the Smart Controller just like you are on the phone but it’s what worked for me and apparently you as well.
2021-4-30
Use props
djiuser_Xu78wdLUczhv
New

United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 4-16 15:44
Ok, so I finally got the Air 2S to pair with the SC.  I had to start from scratch and first pair the drone with the standard RC-N1 remote.  Once I downloaded/installed the DJI Fly app to my iPhone I was prompted to "Activate Aircraft" and update the Air 2S firmware.  So, after setting up/pairing the Air 2S with the RC-N1 I was then able to follow the directions in the video for pairing the Air 2S to the SC without issue.  Maybe someone who actually knows what they're doing could have done all that through the SC on its own but I'm still trying to figure all this out.

After downloading the right assistant “consumer version” i was able to connect. I had to download and install what seemed like two updates. Then a third one kept hanging up and mentioning a transmission error. I restarted pc and device a few times but kept failing. Then I just restarted just the drone and the install worked. Not sure if thay had anything to do with it, but figured I would post my experience in case it helped someone else.
2021-6-27
Use props
djiuser_Xu78wdLUczhv
New

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-17 00:17
Hi, Chuck Campfield. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. Based on your response, you're able to sort the issue already but for reference, it is required that you also update the Mavic Air 2S to version v02.04.16.40 via the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) before it can be linked to the DJI Smart Controller that is already running V01.01.0040. Once they're all running the matching firmware, they can now be linked and use together.
Sits here for a few minutes. Just wait it out.
2021-6-27
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

Great video thanks for sharing
2021-6-27
Use props
fansbca6dcce
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Captain Dangerous Posted at 6-27 12:13
Great video thanks for sharing

Well that's me goosed as I don't own a mobile phone... I get one through work and am allowed to make free calls but am not allowed to download ANY apps whatsoever.  Does that mean I'm going to have to fork out more money now?
2021-6-28
Use props
fansbca6dcce
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fansbca6dcce Posted at 6-28 04:09
Well that's me goosed as I don't own a mobile phone... I get one through work and am allowed to make free calls but am not allowed to download ANY apps whatsoever.  Does that mean I'm going to have to fork out more money now?

Sorry, I meant to say I have exactly the same pairing problems, lights flashing etc as the Original Poster

Cheers
2021-6-28
Use props
djiuser_xC1B0o7W2Grk
lvl.1
United States

I had the exact same issue, after doing some research on September 1, 2021, I found that starting the procedure from scratch using the DJI controller that comes with the DJI Air 2 S  was the only way to finally pair with the Smart Controller.  Follow the steps, using the standard controller and downloading the latest firmware first with that controller.  It took me about ½ hour.  The download seemed to hang up at around 70% but I did not stop it.  After a few minutes, it continued downloading.  The Air 2 S restarted or rebooted 2-3 times before the download was complete.  Once it was complete, the drone was linked.  I turned both the controller off and the drone and restarted the Smart Controller following the process.  There was another shorter update that needed to be downloaded.  I just followed the prompts and it linked up fine with the Smart Controller.  
2021-9-2
Use props
ASTENG88
lvl.1

United States

NozeDive Posted at 4-30 02:54
Same here. You cant connect the air 2s out of the box with the SC. The device first needs to be activated via the dji fly app on the phone. So you need to connect the air 2s first to the remote the comes with the aircraft. after installing the newest firmware over the dji fly app it should connect also with the smart controller.

That can’t be right as it never came with one. Mine only came with the SC
2021-9-28
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4425230 ft
United States

Hope you got it to work
2021-9-28
Use props
GreyusNomadicus
New

Netherlands

Same problem here! Bought the Mavic air S2 with smart controller. (€1739,- / $2025,-)
Not possible to pair the drone with the "smart" controller.
I don't have the "standard" controller as the drone came with the "Smart" controller only.
As advised, downloaded and installed the DJI Fly app on my mobile, but it instructs to connect your phone to the standard controller which I do not have!

Why is this so complicated?

Considering to return the whole unit and claim refund.

Crappy system!

My Advise: DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT! IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY!!!

2021-10-23
Use props
djiuser_22nbMMbOXezE
New

United States

Hi

What I am reading here is that in order to pair smart controller to air2s you must first pair it to the controller that came with unit ??

What is the procedure if you bought the air2s with smart controller and do not have access to a regular air2s controller ??

Thanks
2021-10-23
Use props
sprockett
New

New Zealand

I got it...
The app had no permission to use data/wifi.
once i gave the permissions in the phone settings it worked like clockwork
2022-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules