902 2 2015-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

What's everyone's current thinking on post re: log footage, especially sharpness. I'm recording at -3/-3 for Saturation and Contrast and that's giving me good results and shadow detail but the sharpness setting continues to be trouble.

Long story short, with current firmware I'm presently finding:

Sharpness -1 or above (0+) - unusably oversharp and can't be fixed in post. 0+ makes your eyes bleed it's so oversharped in-camera.
Sharpness -2 or below - soft log footage as you'd expect (and want) but also a lot of issues returning any detail in post.

I'm asking because I have two projects coming into edit/post right now where the Inspire 1 was involved in filming. At the time, all footage review looked good - exposure was good and the images are there (when viewed in isolation).

The problem is, now in post, the Inspire 1 is proving to be a bit of a sore thumb and it is easily the poorest footage in the media pool in both projects (from an image quality perspective) and we're really thinking it's going to get retired / sold on as a production component.

Anyone have any outside-the-box tips or hear of any improvements coming from DJI for the I1's camera system. Lovely aircraft; just very unhappy with the X3 today.
2015-7-16
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It sure would be nice to have a -0.5 and -1.5  setting also I haven't had my Inspire for long, and most of the footage I've done so far have been looking at far away objects. I had a setting of 0 for filmning those. -1 would have been to soft and too difficult to sharpen in post. Most it depends on if the aerial video vill be mixed with ground video with a different camera. If so, try to get the look of that camera. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully well get an update that allows us to fine tune the settings better.
2015-7-16
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Rob W Posted at 2015-7-17 13:31
It sure would be nice to have a -0.5 and -1.5  setting also  I haven't had my Inspire for long, an ...

Yeah I'm finding it pretty tough to get the Inspire 1 shooting like my ground cameras (or enough like them that I can correct and grade them together quickly). I have a pretty well-worn workflow for getting GoPro footage integrated well but the Inspire 1 is proving tricky.

Footage looks good in a vacuum / on it's own where you're just editing I1 footage alone but as soon as another camera is involved it adds a ton of time to post.

What I wouldn't give for DJI to add CinemaDNG to the Inspire 1 but I seriously doubt that's something that firmware can address.
2015-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules