DJI, this is my wish list for the upcoming Osmo Cinema
670 4 2021-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joshfx
lvl.1

United States

I'm very excited for the new DJI Osmo Cinema. The fact that DJI is addressing the z-axis with a z-axis arm shows they are commited to capturing the smoothest footage. Here is my wishlist for the product features:
  • True-to-life skin tones and large dynamic range. This is the MOST IMPORTANT feature. More important than high resolution, 120 FPS, raw, etc. If you can make your skin tones look comparable to an Arri with 15+ stops of dynamic range, that would be amazing. People will notice if skin tones don't look right and will judge you on that criteria alone, no matter how innovative the camera is. The high dynamic range will allow details in shadows and pleasing highlight rolloff. No matter what lighting condition the skin is in, it should look authentic. I would make your ultimate goal to make the footage look like Arri but if you can't reach that goal, make it look like a RED Komodo.
  • Prime lenses that produce authentic color and are optically perfect.
  • USB-C media option. Nobody wants to pay a lot for media. Nobody wants to think about how much storage is left on a card to record. Nobody wants to off-load media with a reader. If you include a USB-C port that will allow me to record to a Samsung T5 2TB drive, that will solve all those issues.
  • Global Shutter. The RED Komodo has introduced this feature to the low-end cinema market and now professionals won't except anything less.
  • Multiple recording formats. Prores in all its versions and Raw with multiple compressions should cover what most people need.
  • One power source for everything, even the monitor.
  • Monitor with matte screen and 2,000+ nits. Colors should be accurate in any brightness.
  • Consider an option for attaching it to a ring.
  • Consider a gimbal support system that is elegantly simple and distributes the weight. Look at how this belt sends all the weight into the operators waist. If there was a similar joint at the base of the camera then you could have full movement without any strain on your arms.
  • Wireless video transmission to an app.
  • Mini-XLR with phantom power.
  • Timecode generator and timecode-in. HDMI out with timecode flag.
  • Eye-focus tracking that can follow even when the person turns away from the camera.
  • Very good manual focusing and an option for red-colored focus-assist.
  • False color.
  • A quiet fan.

2021-4-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 great ideas.
2021-4-18
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Osmo cinema? Has this been leaked?
2021-4-22
Use props
joshfx
lvl.1

United States

Advocate Posted at 4-22 15:37

The video in the next post speaks to alleged patents and leaked images. Having been an owner of an Osmo Raw with a Z-Axis, I thought it was a really innovative camera and I was able to get really smooth footage, even at long focal lengths. It's actually a great time for DJI to compete in the cinema camera space. Canon, Sony, Blackmagic, and Red have revealed their products—each with their own pros and cons. I think DJI is capable of coming up with a camera that can be very compelling. The most important thing, to me, is that they come up with a sensor and color science that is far beyond where they are now. Something that rivals an Arri. Then combine that with a compact, stabilzed body—all powered by one 28V battery.
2021-4-22
Use props
joshfx
lvl.1

United States

Advocate Posted at 4-22 15:37

2021-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules