Help, my video is being split into shorter videos
7883 12 2021-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

What setting do I need to change to stop the app from splitting up my video into shorter pieces?
2021-4-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i don't think there is anytime much you can do about that but many of us are curiously, are you looking to get just one big video file no matter how large or are you looking for video files with longer lengths?  i have seen some cameras with settings so you can choose longer or shorter times but many of us prefer the short length to reduce risk and we take care of file splits during post edit, so ymmv.
2021-4-18
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-18 10:23
i don't think there is anytime much you can do about that but many of us are curiously, are you looking to get just one big video file no matter how large or are you looking for video files with longer lengths?  i have seen some cameras with settings so you can choose longer or shorter times but many of us prefer the short length to reduce risk and we take care of file splits during post edit, so ymmv.

I'm looking to keep my longer length videos in 1 piece.  For example, my 11 minute video was split in 2 parts: 4 and 6 minutes.
2021-4-18
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

trader6777 Posted at 4-18 10:37
I'm looking to keep my longer length videos in 1 piece.  For example, my 11 minute video was split in 2 parts: 4 and 6 minutes.

That's because your SD card is formatted as FAT32. You need to format it as exFAT.
2021-4-18
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Flight distance : 976798 ft
Netherlands

Read this earlier message/thread:

Hello there Robert20. Thank you for reaching out and for these information. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-4-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Tuxtard Posted at 4-18 11:45
That's because your SD card is formatted as FAT32. You need to format it as exFAT.

It has nothing to do with formatting the card, it will split the file into 4GB sections regardless of formatting. DJI have done this beginning with their first drone, and do not look like changing.
2021-4-18
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-18 14:40
It has nothing to do with formatting the card, it will split the file into 4GB sections regardless of formatting. DJI have done this beginning with their first drone, and do not look like changing.

Maybe I missed something but I still don't get it, if there's room on SD card, why split it up into 4gb sections?
Edit found an explanation:
"This is really just finding a compromise that can work for everyone. I think a lot of smaller SD cards were formatted initially with FAT 32, which doesn't allow files over 4GB. So, imagine some unsuspected person is taking awesome video, hits the 4GB limit, the drone can't write to the card and close the file, so the whole video is corrupt -- there would be all kinds of posts how could DJI let that great video be corrupted. While its not an issue for modern larger cards, who knows what everyone is using."

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/4-gb-video-file-limit.36416/
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/movie-files-over-4gb.88175/
2021-4-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there trader6777. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference the maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-4-18
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Serbia

Geebax Posted at 4-18 14:40

Yeah, I now see that all my clips are under 4GB, so I never noticed. Sorry.
2021-4-19
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Serbia

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-18 20:58
Hello there trader6777. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference the maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you and fly safe always.
Hello Stephen.

FAT32 and exFAT are basically the same file system and issues with abnormal power off and sdcard removal have the same effect on both, so I don't really understand your answer. It was logical for DJI to initially allow max 4GB file size and don't bother with FS check and different file sizes when bitrates were under 100 Mbps, but now it is a problem. Is this limitation also present on new Air 2S with its 150 Mbps bitrate? If so that means that you can record less than 5 minutes per file, which is not good. Please ask your developers to reconsider this limitation and see if it can be removed.
2021-4-19
Use props
djiuser_9Xc2lEz01qzs
lvl.1

United States

What video merge program is recommended to stitch all video files together?  #DJI what do you recommend?
2023-7-16
Use props
Rej
lvl.4
Flight distance : 279692 ft
Canada

djiuser_9Xc2lEz01qzs Posted at 7-16 18:41
What video merge program is recommended to stitch all video files together?  #DJI what do you recommend?

Myself, I have been utilizing kdenlive for a few years as a video editor on Linux operating systems and it has nil issues with splicing DJI 4k footage. I have not tried it on Win nor Mac OS.

kdenlive web site states the following capability:
operating system: 64-bit Windows 7 or newer, Apple macOS 10.15 (Catalina) 1 or newer and on M1, 64-bit Linux.

CPU: x86 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD-Video, 4 cores for HD-Video, and 8 cores for 4K-Video.
2023-7-16
Use props
djiuser_DbgNvLOtZBYn
New
Flight distance : 443921 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2023-7-17 05:45
Any video editing software will work.  Just drag all the segments to your timeline.  When you render the final video everything will splice seamlessly with no frame loss between segments.

I've tried this but actually there is frame rate loss.

I've filmed a sunrise, and even though I filmed it in Pro mode, it seems like the shutter speed changed from 1 segment to another
3-30 02:08
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules