No alerts on commuting helicopters
307 4 2021-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

This year I had to be more alert on listening for chopper pitch noise in my fly zone because Maned aircraft warning for fixed wing aircraft does not do the same for them. While I can cruise at about 150 ft lifting off out of my Landing Zone and enjoy the terrain below from draws and creek beds but, as I cross over I need to climb to about 250 ft due to terrain and elevation changes, fingers sloping off ridgeline and trying to maintain elevation to not draw unneeded attendition of my niegbors. (I share videos of wooded area we share, except returning Red Tails) Ther's not much distance between 250 to 300ft. or even 400ft.
*So the point I'm trying to make is why aren't choppers transmitting and manned aircraft alert going off? I could call FAA but have others tried to increase distance between thier drone and Manned chopper when they suddenly appear?
Sense bussiness and those who can afford commuting by chopper are getting out more then last year this time through the summer of 2020, yes another pandemic affect.
2021-4-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

why aren't choppers transmitting and manned aircraft alert going off?
Because plenty of planes aren't required to broadcast ADSB-out.
And it's exactly the kind of planes you are more likely to be sharing airspace with.
Airsense just gives you a false sense of security without being very useful.

2021-4-18
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

air sense  it keeps you looking over you shoulder. my first reaction when it goes off is I check altitude and then do a visual. With choppers  in my area are fast movers and questionable if their following ruleslike the rest of us try to.
2021-4-18
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've gotten ADS-B alerts from helicopters before so I would have to think that the ones that you are seeing aren't using an ADS-B out transponder like what Labroides mentioned. It's handy when manned aircraft are implementing and using ABS-B out, but some are not required too so that is something we have to keep in mind.
2021-4-19
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

JodyB Posted at 4-19 08:17
I've gotten ADS-B alerts from helicopters before so I would have to think that the ones that you are seeing aren't using an ADS-B out transponder like what Labroides mentioned. It's handy when manned aircraft are implementing and using ABS-B out, but some are not required too so that is something we have to keep in mind.

I'm with JodyB here. I get alerts from planes and helis in my area. And I'm in the boondocks.
2021-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules