DJI Smart Controller FAIL :-(
12259 189 2021-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

I think the root cause of this is that the “Smart RC” is a 3 year old underpowered pos with a 5-6 year old 32bit processor in it.
2021-5-26
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1059072 ft
  • >>>
United States

Meanderthal Posted at 5-26 12:55
I think the root cause of this is that the “Smart RC” is a 3 year old underpowered pos with a 5-6 year old 32bit processor in it.

And you have experience flying with a Smart Controller? I've been flying with one for 3 weeks and other than this latest 1.4.2 software glitch it works fine. Haven't seen any lag, screen refreshes are fast. This whole conversation has gone over the top.
2021-5-26
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 5-26 13:32
And you have experience flying with a Smart Controller? I've been flying with one for 3 weeks and other than this latest 1.4.2 software glitch it works fine. Haven't seen any lag, screen refreshes are fast. This whole conversation has gone over the top.
Yep. Had one with my M2P. Ever try to run Litchi on it? The processor is so underpowered it’s garbage. They are literally using a 5/6 year old “Rockchip” 32 bit SOC. The exact same one in their old original CrystalSky units that were plagued with issues. Sells for about $50 (or less).
The capability is about that of an iPhone 4S-actually worse than the A5 processor in the 4S. (For reference, Apple is on the A14 now).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58rq0E48BPE

I would hope that they will have an updated one with the Mavic 3.
2021-5-26
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422549 ft
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 5-26 04:46
Glad you are up and running... if I get a solution from DJI will post it here.

Yes, please do post here if you get this resolved.  I'm also flying the Air 2S with the Smart Controller and I have the video freeze issue as well.  Everything worked fine until the Fly App update to 1.4.2. After the update to 1.4.2 the screen is constantly freezing up and it seems the only way to unfreeze it is to switch back and forth between photo and video mode but that only fixes the issue temporarily as it happens multiple times during a single flight.  I hope DJI will resolve this issue soon.
2021-5-26
Use props
fansd60f61ed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2668422 ft
Canada

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 5-26 04:46
Glad you are up and running... if I get a solution from DJI will post it here.

Today I reinstalled dji fly 1.4.2. seems the issue is gone.  I will keep monitoring if the same issue will reoccur.
2021-5-26
Use props
fansd60f61ed
lvl.2
Canada

Chuck Campfield Posted at 5-26 14:16
Yes, please do post here if you get this resolved.  I'm also flying the Air 2S with the Smart Controller and I have the video freeze issue as well.  Everything worked fine until the Fly App update to 1.4.3.  After the update to 1.4.3 the screen is constantly freezing up and it seems the only way to unfreeze it is to switch back and forth between photo and video mode but that only fixes the issue temporarily as it happens multiple times during a single flight.  I hope DJI will resolve this issue soon.

lol. this is what I did by keeping switching back and forth.  so before Dji provides final solution to this, maybe you can try as I did. uninstall current version which I tested to be working, and then reinstalled with new version, which I just tested and also worked without feed freeze. I will test again to see if the issue is really gone.
2021-5-26
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Regardless of what people are saying and promises of magic fixes with factory reset some of the devices out there are not up for the task - and I'm not the only one, and I feel sorry for people buying this outdated device based on false advice.

Still not convinced?  I suggest you watch the video I'm premiering tonight where I also test with 1.4.2

2021-5-29
Use props
Raymond_Ca
lvl.2
Canada

Henrik Olsen Posted at 5-29 00:18
Regardless of what people are saying and promises of magic fixes with factory reset some of the devices out there are not up for the task - and I'm not the only one, and I feel sorry for people buying this outdated device based on false advice.

[view_image]

to use SC, at this moment, we need to downgrade to v1.4.0.
2021-5-29
Use props
gevigil253
lvl.4

El Salvador

TP-FPV Posted at 4-25 13:56
With further test of my smart controller today I ran into another issue that is not good!
I was flying in "S" Sport Mode and when I switch backed to "P" Normal Mode the controller locked up the left & right movement of my drone.
When I moved the switch to "C" or "S" I could move left or right but anytime I moved the switch to "P" no left or right movement.

ese blockeo se puede arreglar, es sencillo  buscas el menu de configuracion del control y ahi te da opcion de desblockear movimientos laterales.
2021-5-29
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

Raymond_Ca Posted at 5-29 04:09
to use SC, at this moment, we need to downgrade to v1.4.0.

I might have to try that
2021-5-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Henrik Olsen Posted at 5-29 00:18
Regardless of what people are saying and promises of magic fixes with factory reset some of the devices out there are not up for the task - and I'm not the only one, and I feel sorry for people buying this outdated device based on false advice.

[view_image]

That’s so funny, "how can you do precision work". There was nothing precise or finesse about that flying. It seems before you start you want it to fail and thats how you fly. Maybe its an issue with your controller. So this is all about clickbait….
2021-5-29
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 5-19 12:31
For starters “ignore this guy” he fails to test correctly and most of his posts are about clickbait . His headers are completely misleading and in no way designed to help anyone.

Use Link below to a you tuber who tests correctly gives sound advice and is here to help not to dramatize.

Don't base your buying decisions on this advice - I feel sorry for this guy

2021-5-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Henrik Olsen Posted at 5-29 14:13
Don't base your buying decisions on this advice - I feel sorry for this guy

[view_image]

There are thousands of posts similar to this on this forum regarding many different things, most turn out to be user having difficulty understanding, some are because of faulty equipment “an easy fix” many are due to simply not downloading FW correctly, and so it goes, it seems if it doesn’t work for one you think it wont work for others, so wouldn’t the same apply for those who are not having problems , if it works for them it should work for everyone.
But the strangest thing is usually optimization improves faults , you started this whole thing telling others NOT TO FLY WITH SC, that was just wrong, maybe ask for advice that can sometimes help….
2021-5-29
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

Henrik Olsen Posted at 5-29 14:13
Don't base your buying decisions on this advice - I feel sorry for this guy

[view_image]
You are right Henrik. The issue is that it has a 6 year old 32 bit RockChip processor (they sell for less than $30 now) with a crappy 3 year old Android shell overlaid on it. No way it could compete with any modern device. It is underpowered. I tried to use Litchi on it on my trip to Scotland and the Faroe Islands. Couldn’t even handle Litchi and the developer even said it’s underpowered for his app.
2021-5-29
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

Meanderthal Posted at 5-29 15:43
You are right Henrik. The issue is that it has a 6 year old 32 bit RockChip processor (they sell for less than $30 now) with a crappy 3 year old Android shell overlaid on it. No way it could compete with any modern device. It is underpowered. I tried to use Litchi on it on my trip to Scotland and the Faroe Islands. Couldn’t even handle Litchi and the developer even said it’s underpowered for his app.

Yes I am and others that claim otherwise are either naive or fanboys sucking up to DJI. This problem is very real for some and minor for others, but fact is (as you state) this is an old device that is struggling to keep up - fine if you don’t care, and fine if you can “fix” bad performance temporarily with a clean up, but if you have not bought it yet, you are buying a $800 lottery ticket in regards to performance.
2021-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Henrik Olsen Posted at 5-30 00:50
Yes I am and others that claim otherwise are either naive or fanboys sucking up to DJI. This problem is very real for some and minor for others, but fact is (as you state) this is an old device that is struggling to keep up - fine if you don’t care, and fine if you can “fix” bad performance temporarily with a clean up, but if you have not bought it yet, you are buying a $800 lottery ticket in regards to performance.

Once again you try to insult people for their views. So it looks like your here for clicks nothing else your content is really bad and now if people don’t agree with it you call them names and insult them. Your test was rubbish simple .
2021-5-30
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 15:30
Once again you try to insult people for their views. So it looks like your here for clicks nothing else your content is really bad and now if people don’t agree with it you call them names and insult them. Your test was rubbish simple .

Henryk is the king of clickbait with misleading headlines. I would take it all with a grain of salt. Sorry, but my SC is working fine on 1.4.0. They've got some nastyt glitches in 1.4.2, which I am sure are being fixed. I believe that others are having more serious problems, but his headlines condemn the product without a fair trial.  It's just an untrustworthy, narcissistic blog.
2021-5-30
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

Henryk “Hallmark” is the King of DJI shills. How many subscribers do you have? He has a whopping…four subscribers in his channel.

What Hallmark says has no credibility. He has in the past told people that “cell towers send GPS signals to DJI drones”. You heard that right! He says your test want right. But he doesn’t specifically state what was wrong with it. At all.

It does appear to be a real issue for many with the Smart RC. Which makes sense since it’s tremendously underpowered.
2021-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 5-30 15:50
Henryk is the king of clickbait with misleading headlines. I would take it all with a grain of salt. Sorry, but my SC is working fine on 1.4.0. They've got some nastyt glitches in 1.4.2, which I am sure are being fixed. I believe that others are having more serious problems, but his headlines condemn the product without a fair trial.  It's just an untrustworthy, narcissistic blog.

I agree on that, but don’t think he’s going to change his mind….
2021-5-30
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 16:14
I agree on that, but don’t think he’s going to change his mind….

Well Hallmark is the King of Shills. And he won’t change.
2021-5-30
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

Meanderthal Posted at 5-30 15:58
Henryk “Hallmark” is the King of DJI shills. How many subscribers do you have? He has a whopping…four subscribers in his channel.

What Hallmark says has no credibility. He has in the past told people that “cell towers send GPS signals to DJI drones”. You heard that right! He says your test want right. But he doesn’t specifically state what was wrong with it. At all.

Lol, he certainly is -- but you got to admire his persistence in trolling my posts like this will change anything :-)
2021-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Henryk is the king of clickbait with misleading headlines. I would take it all with a grain of salt. Sorry, but my SC is working fine on 1.4.0. They've got some nastyt glitches in 1.4.2, which I am sure are being fixed. I believe that others are having more serious problems, but his headlines condemn the product without a fair trial.  It's just an untrustworthy, narcissistic blog.

It seems he chooses to ignore anyone who doesn’t agree with him ..
2021-5-31
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

Lol, I can live with that :-)

Could be funny to test with the 1.4.0 version you are using to see if it makes a difference - do you wanna share the APK? I suspect yours are running FCC?
2021-5-31
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

Meanderthal Posted at 5-30 16:20
Well Hallmark is the King of Shills. And he won’t change.

Lol, likely not and he thinks I ignore people that disagree with me - I don't just him :-)

The fun part is a few posts back he encouraged people to "ignore this guy"  
2021-5-31
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

Henrik Olsen Posted at 5-31 03:08
Lol, likely not and he thinks I ignore people that disagree with me - I don't just him :-)

The fun part is a few posts back he encouraged people to "ignore this guy"
I know! It’s quite funny, actually. He gets “triggered” every time someone is critical of DJI. If you look at his post history, he has elevated “being wrong” to an art form. It’s quite an accomplishment, actually.

Keep up your good work. You show issues that *many* people are having. And the comments in your video reflect that.

And it is also common sense- the controller has a 5-6 year old 32 bit RockChip processor. It is to be expected that as software advances that there will be major issues because it’s highly underpowered. All the shill-speak from Hallmark can’t change that the performance equates slightly lower than an iPhone 4S (A5 processor) when things right now are at an A14 (almost A15) level.
Basically, it’s a $200 controller being sold for $800. I suspect that there will be a new one for the M3.

There is a reason you have more subscribers than Ash or Hallmark.

(Hallmark has a whopping 4 (four!) subscribers to his YouTube channel!!){:4_96:
2021-5-31
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Meanderthal Posted at 5-31 04:12
I know! It’s quite funny, actually. He gets “triggered” every time someone is critical of DJI. If you look at his post history, he has elevated “being wrong” to an art form. It’s quite an accomplishment, actually.

Keep up your good work. You show issues that *many* people are having. And the comments in your video reflect that.

You've posted like 5 times in this thread about the chip, and each and every time you have been wrong.
It is 64 bit .  It is not the same one in the Crystal Sky.

You are correct that it is a cheaper system, and that it is 5 years old.  It benchmarks along the lines of mid-range mobile chips at the time, so not what you would get at top-of-the-line flagship phones, but what you would find in mid-range android phones.

It was a good value for dealing with 4K video and supporting HDMI out compared to other chips in the range and good with power consumption.  Those things (along with price) made it a pretty good choice for the Smart Controller, if all you want to do is fly the drone.  Probably not a good choice to run the Smart Controller as a full tablet with a bunch of Apps and stuff.

That said, as you noted, it is 5 years old, and wasn't a top-of-the-line chip at the time, so if the needs ot the Fly App keep growing, it may be getting closer to hitting the wall.

But please stop saying it is 32 bit.  It isn't.  Please don't say it is the same SoC as the Crystal Sky.  It isn't.  
2021-5-31
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 5-31 06:05
You've posted like 5 times in this thread about the chip, and each and every time you have been wrong.
It is 64 bit .  It is not the same one in the Crystal Sky.

Hooray. Yes, it is a 64 bit chip. My SC works just fine with the Air 2S. If you don't want one, don't buy one, but stop trolling those who find it useful and reliable. If yours isn't, get it fixed.
2021-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JEZ2 Posted at 5-31 06:05
It is 64 bit .  It is not the same one in the Crystal Sky.

Thanks for clearing that up. Nice to get information that’s actually helpful and true.
2021-5-31
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

Ok. So it’s a 5-year-old underpowered 64 bit processor that struggles with today’s apps- essentially a $100 Android tablet with an RC attached that they sell for $800.  Understood.
2021-5-31
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Meanderthal Posted at 5-31 11:37
Ok. So it’s a 5-year-old underpowered 64 bit processor that struggles with today’s apps- essentially a $100 Android tablet with an RC attached that they sell for $800.  Understood.

Did someone force you to buy one? Mine works just great. It's not slow, or laggy. Flew it last night and it worked without incident. I'm glad you at least you admitted  your error in a backhanded sort of way.
2021-5-31
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 5-31 13:40
Did someone force you to buy one? Mine works just great. It's not slow, or laggy. Flew it last night and it worked without incident. I'm glad you at least you admitted  your error in a backhanded sort of way.

Glad yours works great. Looks like loads of others are having issues. I sold mine with my M2Pro kit a while back. Now I'm using the regular controller with the Air2S which works flawlessly. If they update the Smart Controller with the M3, I might buy that kit.
2021-5-31
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Meanderthal Posted at 5-31 15:13
Glad yours works great. Looks like loads of others are having issues. I sold mine with my M2Pro kit a while back. Now I'm using the regular controller with the Air2S which works flawlessly. If they update the Smart Controller with the M3, I might buy that kit.

And loads of others are not having issues. I see that you could not own up to your false statements about the SC specs. Not unexpected.
2021-5-31
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 5-31 19:15
And loads of others are not having issues. I see that you could not own up to your false statements about the SC specs. Not unexpected.

Please read above. I’ve attached if you couldn’t properly read that.
4C46580C-B9E7-4F5F-98A0-70C43D8EA5D0.jpeg
2021-5-31
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Meanderthal Posted at 5-31 19:26
Please read above. I’ve attached if you couldn’t properly read that.

Sorry bud, no apology there for misleading people in several posts. Good try though. And I don't see my SC struggling with any apps. I see no difference in performance comparing it to my iPhone 12 Max running on the stock DJI controller. Such a short sentence and so many miselading statements in it.
2021-5-31
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 5-31 20:53
Sorry bud, no apology there for misleading people in several posts. Good try though. And I don't see my SC struggling with any apps. I see no difference in performance comparing it to my iPhone 12 Max running on the stock DJI controller. Such a short sentence and so many miselading statements in it.
Performance the same as the iPhone 12 max

(Summary of his test (17:40-18:30)

https://forum.dji.com/thread-178246-1-1.html
2021-6-1
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Meanderthal Posted at 6-1 02:53
Performance the same as the iPhone 12 max

Hey Bud, I already said in an earlier post that the range of the SC  is not as good as the stock controller. Read much? Our discussion (your discussion) was about the chip performance. Problems there would show up in screen refresh and responsiveness. But you changed the subject to make another point. And once again, you failed to acknowledge your technical mistake, depriving you of any credibility. Not worth further discussion if you are going to be evasive and won't own up to your misstatements online.

Once again, I see no difference in screen responsiveness and overall speed between the two devices. You are hardly worth engaging with, as you are clearly a troll. You've truly FAILED to give an honest response.

So long. Won't feed your misinformation efforts again.
2021-6-1
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-1 03:11
Hey Bud, I already said in an earlier post that the range of the SC  is not as good as the stock controller. Read much? Our discussion (your discussion) was about the chip performance. Problems there would show up in screen refresh and responsiveness. But you changed the subject to make another point. And once again, you failed to acknowledge your technical mistake, depriving you of any credibility. Not worth further discussion if you are going to be evasive and won't own up to your misstatements online.

Once again, I see no difference in screen responsiveness and overall speed between the two devices. You are hardly worth engaging with, as you are clearly a troll. You've truly FAILED to give an honest response.

If you look at his summary, he doesn’t just talk about range. He talks about responsiveness, jerkiness, etc. he says the regular controller and the app is like “a finely tuned razor”. He then says the smart RC is like a crappy razor which cuts you and is disappointing.

There’s the summary
You’re welcome.
2021-6-1
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Meanderthal Posted at 5-31 11:37

I suspect your point would resonate with more people if you didn't try so hard to just inaccurately disparage the thing.  

So, to your $100 tablet comparison:
It actually is true that from a pure processing power, the Smart Controller benchmarks probably pretty closely to the lower end Snapdragon chips of today that power the $120-$200 tablets. Think of things like the Galaxy Tab A line.   Of course, those are newer tablets, the processor (at the time) was more powerful than the lower end tablets of 3-4 years ago.  Also, the Smart Controller has double the RAM of the lower Tab A line and 33% more than the higher end Tab A's.

More importantly, none of those cheaper tablets/chips can encode and decode 4k video like the Smart Controller can.  None of them can support HDMI out like the smart controller can, so the video capabilities of the Smart controller far exceed cheaper Android tablets, even today.

Most importantly, is the 1000 nit screen that the Smart Controller has.  you will not find that out tablets 3,4,5 times your $100 benchmark.

So, from a drone controller perspective, you have a so-so processor (that does well with power consumption), with very good video capabilities and a super bright (and probably pretty expensive screen).  It really was a good choice for the Go 4 app of 3 years ago when it was released.  However, I as I already noted and do agree that DJI was perhaps a bit short sighted and as the Fly App grows in capabilities, we may be pushing some boundaries here soon.

The key here, is you should think of it as a drone controller and not as a tablet to side-load all your apps.  If you want to think of it as a tablet, you do have to think low-end from a pure processing power.

Adding up the video capabilities, the screen (and not to mention the actual controller electronics) There is no valid comparison to anything close to $100.
2021-6-1
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Meanderthal Posted at 6-1 03:13
If you look at his summary, he doesn’t just talk about range. He talks about responsiveness, jerkiness, etc. he says the regular controller and the app is like “a finely tuned razor”. He then says the smart RC is like a crappy razor which cuts you and is disappointing.

There’s the summary

No more responses. You've already been caught spreading inaccurate info.. so you can wallow in it. Enjoy.
2021-6-1
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-1 05:42
No more responses. You've already been caught spreading inaccurate info.. so you can wallow in it. Enjoy.

Oh - you want a response? Ok: There are "plenty" of complaints of the processor being underpowered. The footage is jerky and not smooth likely because it is a 5-6 year old underpowered processor that can't handle the needs of the software. Even if it is 64bit (which I'm not convinced it is). DJI charges $800.

*Some* people may be lucky and not see the poor performance and be happy with it. Maybe you find it works perfectly with your Mavic Pro Platinum and Mavic Pro? But plenty of others won't. Not to mention the range is significantly worse. Sounds like a great choice to spend $800 for outdated technology! That's why Henrik's video was actually fair and accurate. Look at the comments on it.

Oh - and in terms of screen brightness - most modern phones and tablets offer more than sufficient nits and are more capable.

P.S. How's the "vote recount" going in AZ?
There you go!
2021-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules