Jumpy 1st Video; QuickTime issue?
418 6 2021-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

Hi guys. Clicked the recorded button for the 1st time today, however, on playback with QuickTime my drone footage is skippy and jumpy.

Recorded in 4K 60FPS, MP4 265 (I think).
Goggle video is perfect.
Both brand new Sandisk Extreme Plus U3 V20 128GB (Best Buy purchase).
Tried two different computers and a basic MP4 player on both, as well as QuickTime on both.

I’m extremely new to videography, MP4/MPEG, and all of this stuff. Maybe my older IMac and MacBook just can’t hang with 4K?

Any ideas?
2021-4-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Buster1. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Are you able to post a short sample video showing the said issue for us to see and assist you further. Thank you.
2021-4-19
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Transfer the files from the SD card to your computer and play them from there, this will eliminate a slow card reader. If your Cards are U3 class 10 you should be ok. I generally format them in the drone before use, even though it ‘shouldn’t’ be necessary.

4K playback does need a bit of computing power, how old is your MAC?  You could also try playback by going to a Apple store and asking to ‘try’ it in one of their machines, could be an expensive trip though!!
2021-4-19
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Thanks guys.

I’ll see if I can upload the video tonight.

I tried playing from the reader and put the video on the desktop and tried it too. Both my iMac and MacBook Air are 9 and 6 yrs old respectively. So it could be they just can’t handle the data file size. I figured a basic MP4 player off the App Store would solve it, but no.

Should I be recording in MOV, or MP4? Does it even matter?
2021-4-20
Use props
sbarton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 877110 ft
United States

Buster1 Posted at 4-20 04:47
Thanks guys.

I’ll see if I can upload the video tonight.

I found that my PC would have issues playing .MOV files in QuickTime (I have a killer gaming PC so it's not the PC).  The frames would stutter.  If I renamed the file to .mp4, Windows Media player would open it and play it just fine with no stutter.  You may have to purchase the HEVC/H.265 Codec for $0.99 if you are using H.265 instead of H.264.  
2021-4-20
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Just a quick update. I kept all my settings the same except I changed to 1080p/60... and playback on my old iMac looks perfect!

Pretty sure it’s simply my old iMac being unable to handle the 4K video. It doesn’t even have much RAM, so I think that’s the issue.

Thx again guys.
2021-4-21
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Buster1 Posted at 4-21 07:46
Just a quick update. I kept all my settings the same except I changed to 1080p/60... and playback on my old iMac looks perfect!

Pretty sure it’s simply my old iMac being unable to handle the 4K video. It doesn’t even have much RAM, so I think that’s the issue.

"I changed to 1080p/60"

The file sizes are much more manageable at this resolution.

I could play the 4K video OK but when I tried to share the video, it was going to take a day to upload to the cloud. I switched to 1080P to allow me to share short videos in a few hours.

Most of the people who I wanted to share the video, didn't have 4K monitors anyway.
2021-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules