610 5 2021-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just wanted to relay some of my experience with the Air 2S so far.

Updated the Fly app, drone, remote, and batteries before even flying it so all was good as far as that goes.
I tried it at first with the "regular" remote control and my Samsung Note 8 and after getting a feel for the app's new placement of menus, etc I "sent it".  ( I first tried just in the neighborhood just to get a feel in a familiar environment)

I immediately noticed a very short ( less than aprox 1/2 mile) range and garbled transmission/feed. I usually get aprox 1 mile at 200 feet height with the M2P or the Mini 2 before the same feed/range degradation in that same "test area" right up from my yard.
I then noticed the update to enable the SC for the new drone. This time, that update ( I only use the assistant PC program for updating the SC) went as smooth as possible! I clear the cache and recents and then try the same test with the new drone and the smart controller. The same result... slightly less range as normal for the SC and the map was VERY delayed.
I bound the M2P and tried that with the SC to verify that the SC wasn't messed up and that result was normal for the M2P!
I tried both drones and back and forth with the Air2S regular remote and the SC with the same terrible results with low range and pixelated/choppy feed.
Same results in a less dense park/desert trail area.

I re-flashed the controllers and the drone and the same results.
Forward to yesterday ( I had the new drone on release day)....I exchanged at BestBuy for another kit.

Much better, the results are that those issues have been resolved and the comparable range/feed is where I expect.
I did notice that the "replacement" is built and packaged slightly differently in that the SD card slot is slightly more forward in it's cavity on the side and the "old" one had some stickers around the bottom usb port that the replacement did not. Both were in sealed boxes. So that means there are either some minor build changes or different sources?

The bottom line with all this, I apparently got a unit with either a bad antenna/connection ( which is possible with tech) and that this is still a work in progress since it is so new. Also, the SC is a bit less snappy than using the phone and regular remote and when you call up the map display instead of the camera feed, it lags for a second. But other than that, with the replacement drone, it works good...no disconnects or locks so far
2021-4-20
Use props
djiuser_WJfKL4ClTp0X
New
Flight distance : 91647 ft
United States

Thanks for the information. Second day purchase here, a lot of range issues. The possible movement of the SD card slot is very surprising. Would you please post a picture of the location of the SD slot on your replacement.
2021-4-20
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_WJfKL4ClTp0X Posted at 4-20 08:35
Thanks for the information. Second day purchase here, a lot of range issues. The possible movement of the SD card slot is very surprising. Would you please post a picture of the location of the SD slot on your replacement.

As in this image of the SD slot, the actual "port/slot" was just maybe 2-3 mm rear of where it is in the "replacement unit" pictured. This one is pretty much up against the front edge of the access area.
The "old" unit also had a removable sticker/protector around that area as received/unboxed and the replacement here did not!
2021-4-20
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_WJfKL4ClTp0X Posted at 4-20 08:35
Thanks for the information. Second day purchase here, a lot of range issues. The possible movement of the SD card slot is very surprising. Would you please post a picture of the location of the SD slot on your replacement.

As I mentioned, this USB port on the remote with the "old" unit had a protective sticker around it. The replacement unit (pictured) did not.
A minor point I know but still some discrepancies with a new product assembly/prep?
2021-4-20
Use props
djiuser_WJfKL4ClTp0X
New
Flight distance : 91647 ft
United States

jmb63 Posted at 4-20 09:09
[view_image]

As I mentioned, this USB port on the remote with the "old" unit had a protective sticker around it. The replacement unit (pictured) did not.

Thank you Thank you! I really appreciate the time. I'm bummed mine looks like your picture. I can only get about 2500ft away before it drops signal. Once up to 3500ft.
2021-4-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jmb63. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having these issues with your DJI Mavic Air 2 and it is great to know that the said issue was rectified. Again, thank you for sharing these experience and fly safe always.
2021-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules