4 antennas, Ocusync 3 & airsense: justification for upgrading ?
1071 12 2021-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike90210
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1183556 ft
United States

2 times my DJI Mini 2 lost connection between the aircraft and controller at close range (less than 100 feet away.)

That experience has shaken my confidence in the Mini 2, so much so that I’m entertaining the purchase of an Air 2S because it has 4 antenna and ocu sync 3.

Sometimes, tourist helicopters swoop by where I fly so airsense seems like a must-have feature.

Sure, the 1 inch sensor and tracking is awesome, but in my mind, the safety of airsense and not losing control of the drone are the most justifiable excuse for upgrading drones just 1 month after buying the mini 2.

Thoughts?

2021-4-20
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I've never lost connection at that close range with my Mini 2. I would think you might need to have it checked out! I am interested in the Air 2S because I am thinking of doing commercial work with it. So I would like the better sensor, mastershots, obstacle avoidance, os3,  - which I believe is only on the air craft (4 antennas?) as they are using the same remote.
2021-4-20
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Coming from the Mini 2...  the Air2S is a massive upgrade in every single aspect.

I was just blown away by the quality both the video and stills. I record 4K/30 while flying just in case something happens and because I like to  save all my flights (I reencode them to H265 35mbps with media encoder though) but I'm a photographer and phew, now we are talking.

• Much greater FOV than the Mini 2 for both videos and stills (specially on videos, as the mini 2 crops the image greatelly when recording).
  • Much less noise on videos/stills.
  • Much better low light performance.
  • Much better dynamic range.
  • Special modes like hyperlapse.
  • 4.3x zoom while recording at 4k, wich comes in handy to magnify the image on the phone while flying.
  • You can move the gimball in all directions by touching the screen of the phone till the point you can see the front legs of the aircraft.
  • Increased flightime.
  • Much better connection and stable flight and long range capabilities.
  • The aircraft is bigger, so better legal VLOS range. Mini 2 VLOS range is about 150m in daylight, past that you can't relocate the aircraft in the sky, but you can relocate the Air2S easily even at 500 meters. Top distance on the test I did for me was about 750meters for the Air2S, while top distance on the mini is about 500 meters, but as said before, the mini is impossible to relocate past 150 meters, once you look at the screen and back to the sky it just dissapears... And at night, Air2S can be clarly seen past 1500m (those super bright green leds on the arms) while the Mini 2 just disappears past 700m or so.
  • The drone handles way better and has a more stable and consistent flight.
  • With sensors and ADS-B you'll fly more confidently.

On the downsides... It's bigger, it's a bit noisier and ofc is more expensive. The Mini 2 is way stealthier and easy to transport but yep, the mini 2 is like a toy and the air 2S is a proper drone.

Air 2S also needs A2 permit to fly in Europe; would be A1, but doesn't come with the certificate, so it lands on A2 till 2023.

PS: Didn't did a proper range test yet because the meteorological conditions werent appropiate, but I flew a bit on the same area that I fly with the Mini 2 and the connection seemed way better. Increased FOV, better connection, sensors/APAS and ADS-B, better handling, better cruise speed, better performance against wind... all those things make for a safer flight.
2021-4-20
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

I had the Mini 2 and it was a good drone. Then I got the MA2 and finally the A2S. Each one has been an improvement over the other, as far as drone-to-controller connection.

One thing about Air Sense. It may or may not be used by all aircraft in your area. So keep that in mind. Other than that I think you would really like the A2S.
2021-4-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mike90210. Good day and thank you for choosing the DJI Air 2S. In addition to this post the DJI AirSense is an alert system that uses ADS-B technology to give drone pilots enhanced situational awareness and help them make responsible decisions while flying. This feature gathers flight data sent automatically from nearby aircraft with ADS-B transmitters, analyzing it to detect potential collision risks and alert users well in advance through the DJI mobile application. For reference I will post a DJI link where in you can read more about the DJI AirSense ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/airsense ).  In addition, I will post a diagram on how to get optimal transmission for your DJI Air 2S. Thank you.

2021-4-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-20 20:42
Hello there Mike90210. Good day and thank you for choosing the DJI Air 2S. In addition to this post the DJI AirSense is an alert system that uses ADS-B technology to give drone pilots enhanced situational awareness and help them make responsible decisions while flying. This feature gathers flight data sent automatically from nearby aircraft with ADS-B transmitters, analyzing it to detect potential collision risks and alert users well in advance through the DJI mobile application. For reference I will post a DJI link where in you can read more about the DJI AirSense ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/airsense ).  In addition, I will post a diagram on how to get optimal transmission for your DJI Air 2S. Thank you.

[view_image]

Hey Stephen, Do we not get an Air2S icon in our profile?
2021-4-20
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 4-20 14:46
Coming from the Mini 2...  the Air2S is a massive upgrade in every single aspect.

I was just blown away by the quality both the video and stills. I record 4K/30 while flying just in case something happens and because I like to  save all my flights (I reencode them to H265 35mbps with media encoder though) but I'm a photographer and phew, now we are talking.

Wow @Huginn,  thanks for the super helpful reply with so many wonderful points.

What you said about VLOS really resonated with me.  It was always so stressful looking at the controller, then looking at the sky and not being able to find it.  

You also hit on one concern: "stealthy-ness" and transportability.   I live in a big city so I'm somewhat concerned about being a conspicuous target for getting robbed or annoying people when I launch at sunset near one of the tourist spots.   Sometimes, I'll put my phone in the controller, carry the mini (folded without straps) so I can hand catch and get a quick get-a-way.  With the 2S, I would most certainly have to keep flymore bag in my backpack, put stuff in it,  before I leave the scene. That makes me feel very exposed and conspicuous.   However, since I got in the habit of flying with the strobe (even during the day), how inconspicuous am I really?  Hmm.

And, if the mini 2 were ever to go down on private property from where I couldn't retrieve it, I'd be sad but not that sad.  If I lost the 2S, I'd be very sad.

All that being said, I'm a tech guy, love gadgets and think I would truly have a ton of fun with this drone.

BTW, here's a pic I took with the mini 2.  I'm excited to see all the fun things I can do with the 2S !!!

Thanks again for all your great points,
Mike

2021-4-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 4-20 14:46

Wow, you make some great points.  Outstanding reply to OP.  
2021-4-21
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Also, another thought. If money isn't a problem you could keep both. Some like the mini while traveling as it is smaller, etc. But take the Air 2/S with them when they need the better Photo/Video capability and don't mind the extra size, etc.
2021-4-21
Use props
Gerv55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2004911 ft
United Kingdom

It would be a decent upgrade over the mini, over the air 2 not so much, more of a sidegrade.   
2021-4-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Suren Posted at 4-20 22:52
Hey Stephen, Do we not get an Air2S icon in our profile?

Hi there Suren. Good day and thank you for this inquiry. I will forward this query to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you for your support and keep flying.
2021-4-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-21 22:54
Hi there Suren. Good day and thank you for this inquiry. I will forward this query to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you for your support and keep flying.

Thanks Mate
2021-4-22
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

One addition feature (I think) to supplement @Huginn's excellent reply is:

I think the Air 2S will stitch the panorama shots together in the drone.

On my mini 2, you need 3rd party software on a PC to do it.
2021-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules