How to best transition Air 2 video to handheld 4K camera?
729 4 2021-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

I would like to shoot a scene where it starts off with an Air 2 drone shot, and it transitions to a handheld shot that picks up at the same spot that the drone left off. This will all be shot in 4K 24 fps. I would like the transition from drone to handheld camera to be as seemless as possible, so it looks like one continuous shot. How can I best achieve this? What transition effect works best for this to tie the two clips together?
How do-able is this? Do you know of any examples of this you can point me to? How do I line up the drone position with the camera position? How can I best match things like color, exposure, and so on?

2021-4-20
Use props
jdelamater
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17064 ft
United States

Haven't tried this, but I'd think for best results, you'd need a 2nd person. Basically, my thoughts are fly it to your "transition". Make sure it's in a place where you can easily "catch" it. Once it is hovering in location, as gently as possible grab the drone, trying not to move it, Then have 2nd person turn the props off, at which point you can then proceed to carry it. Try and pay attention to reflections and shadows, if possible, and then in post, you can just trim off the "dead" footage of the transition. And even if there's a little shake/movement, if you go straight from flying motion to walking motion, it should be pretty seamless.

That's at least how I would begin attempting this type of transition. Good luck.

2021-4-22
Use props
jdelamater
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17064 ft
United States

Did a quick test of this, and it mostly works as I thought, but there was one hiccup I forgot about, but the effects of it can likely be minimized with some practice...the downward sensor shoots the drone up when you reach for it. With only a couple tries of practice, i was able to fly the drone to stop, and quickly reachup and grab it to keep it from flying up. Then as soon as you grab the drone, immediately start throttling down and after a second or two the props turn off, and you can carry it around.

In my test, you can see a tiny 'tick' when it transitions over, and i minimized that by scaling the video to 115%, which then allowed me to set some guides and position the two cuts as close as possible. As this was just a proof of concept, I was only using the 720p cached files from my phone, and wasn't super meticulous with making sure the alignments were pixel perfect, so there should be a decent amount of room for improvement.
2021-4-23
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

jdelamater Posted at 4-23 10:36
https://youtu.be/xZn5Za767zk

Did a quick test of this, and it mostly works as I thought, but there was one hiccup I forgot about, but the effects of it can likely be minimized with some practice...the downward sensor shoots the drone up when you reach for it. With only a couple tries of practice, i was able to fly the drone to stop, and quickly reachup and grab it to keep it from flying up. Then as soon as you grab the drone, immediately start throttling down and after a second or two the props turn off, and you can carry it around.

Wow, that is just what I want to do. Thank you so much for showing me the way!!! I will come back here and post a link when I have something to show.

2021-4-25
Use props
Victoria_367
New

Romania

I am a true fan of vlogging and am doing it in a very good way. but on my last vlog, my camera broke so am very curious about choosing a new camera and then a read a blog on the best vlogging camera it helped me a lot to make my final choice. I bet if you are also curious about the best vlogging cameras you will love this article go and have a visit and tell me my choice is right or wrong?
https://infotainmentbeats.com/top-vlogging-cameras/
2021-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules