FPV Startup Noise
8367 30 2021-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
g1ng3rgirl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32359 ft
United States

Please let there be a way to turn off that horrible startup sound when the FPV turns on. It's upsetting and a waste of energy as far as I'm concerned. Anyone have a solution to this? I couldn't find anything in the menus after the latest firmware update.
2021-4-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, g1ng3rgirl. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. Regretfully, there's no option to disable the startup tone.
2021-4-21
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

None of the DJI drones allow you to turn off the startup sound. Its just playing a sound file, I wouldn't be concerned about wasted energy. Its not like it could be killing a few minutes of flight time.
2021-4-22
Use props
g1ng3rgirl
lvl.1
United States

KerryG Posted at 4-22 13:39
None of the DJI drones allow you to turn off the startup sound. Its just playing a sound file, I wouldn't be concerned about wasted energy. Its not like it could be killing a few minutes of flight time.

It's not the same sound as my Mavic Pro 2. It's a crazy aggressive sound that vibrates the whole drone for 2-3 seconds. The vibration definitely uses the battery.
2021-4-22
Use props
glides
lvl.2
Flight distance : 279203 ft
United States

g1ng3rgirl Posted at 4-22 14:16
It's not the same sound as my Mavic Pro 2. It's a crazy aggressive sound that vibrates the whole drone for 2-3 seconds. The vibration definitely uses the battery.

Idling using battery, too. I think his or her point was the amount of energy used would net you less than a second of flight time.
2021-4-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I rather like it.
2021-4-23
Use props
FlyingSnoopy
lvl.4

Greece

It is a badass sound, I really like it. Aggressive sound for agressive looks!! yay!
2021-4-23
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's like a Diseptecon waking up. It's cool. Boyz n Toyz
2021-4-23
Use props
Vertigocal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 554928 ft
Germany

I understand what you mean. Somehow I like it but sometimes it gets a little bit annoying when you hear it often. Maybe it‘s just a little bit too loud.
2021-4-23
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Vertigocal Posted at 4-23 06:37
I understand what you mean. Somehow I like it but sometimes it gets a little bit annoying when you hear it often. Maybe it‘s just a little bit too loud.

I feel the same way.
Almost all programmable ESCs allow the start up sound to be changed. I'd be very very surprised if the startup sound couldn't be changed with firmware. I don't think it's anywhere nearly a high enough priority for DJI to put the effort into changing this.

While I personally don't mind the sound, I'd really like the option of controlling the start up sound.

The startup sound certainly uses power but the amount of flight time is costs us is hardly measurable. I bet it's less than a few milliseconds.

In case anyone reading isn't already aware, the startup sounds made by most quadcopters is produced by the motors.  This DJI FPV drone also uses the motors to produce the sound. I half expected to find a speaker in the drone since the sound is so different compared to the startup sounds from other drones. I've taken this drone apart far enough to know there's no speaker in it.
2021-4-23
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

personally I really like the sound, so pleas leave it alone ... just get over it or go fly a avic or so if you don't like it ...
2021-4-23
Use props
FlyingSnoopy
lvl.4

Greece

Duane Degn Posted at 4-23 11:05
I feel the same way.
Almost all programmable ESCs allow the start up sound to be changed. I'd be very very surprised if the startup sound couldn't be changed with firmware. I don't think it's anywhere nearly a high enough priority for DJI to put the effort into changing this.

I never knew the sound was coming from the motors! Interesting!
2021-4-23
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

Duane Degn Posted at 4-23 11:05
I feel the same way.

uuuhhmmmm. there are two speakers in it
2021-4-23
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

MoppelMat Posted at 4-23 14:45

Where are these speakers located?

Edit: There are two grills which look like they could be speakers but they're for air flow. As I mentioned earlier, I intitially thought the drone had a speaker since the startup sound was so different compared to other ESCs. After taking apart the drone a bit, I don't see where a speaker can be hiding. It's pretty common for the motors to be used to produce start up sounds. I don't see why DJI would add a speaker if the motors would do the job.
There is a piezo buzzer/speaker in the controller. I haven't seen it myself, but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of buzzer/speaker in the goggles.

Edit again: The drone has two microphones. These do look like they could be little speakers but I'm pretty sure they're microphones and not speakers. I suppose we could disconnect these and see if the drone produces the sound or not. I'm not sure If I'm curious enough to do this myself right now. One of the microphones can be seen at 5:25 of this teardown video.
Edit #3: Those little circular components are not speakers. The sound stays the same even when the microphones are unplugged.

2021-4-23
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

How much flight time do you think is being lost on the startup sound? I'm going to guess at right about zero. Moving the gimbal up and down a few times would likely use more power.
2021-4-24
Use props
g1ng3rgirl
lvl.1
United States

KerryG Posted at 4-24 11:45
How much flight time do you think is being lost on the startup sound? I'm going to guess at right about zero. Moving the gimbal up and down a few times would likely use more power.

"Waste of energy" is more like "waste of space" or "waste of life"; an expression. I just think the sound is like Axe Body Spray co-branded with DJI. It's not necessarily enough to stop me using it, I'd just rather have an option to turn it off.
2021-4-24
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

g1ng3rgirl Posted at 4-24 11:56
"Waste of energy" is more like "waste of space" or "waste of life"; an expression. I just think the sound is like Axe Body Spray co-branded with DJI. It's not necessarily enough to stop me using it, I'd just rather have an option to turn it off.

Its something we have had to deal with since the Phantom 2. Some aircraft are more annoying than others. If you want to feel better about what you have, find a Matrice 600 and listen to it fire up. You damned near need hearing protection if you are right next to it.
2021-4-24
Use props
g1ng3rgirl
lvl.1
United States

KerryG Posted at 4-24 17:44
Its something we have had to deal with since the Phantom 2. Some aircraft are more annoying than others. If you want to feel better about what you have, find a Matrice 600 and listen to it fire up. You damned near need hearing protection if you are right next to it.

Yikes. I had no idea. The Mavic Pro 2 is a short doodly-dee tone, very mild, and I'd assumed that was a DJI calling card used for all their products until I heard the FPV. I'll keep that in mind and hold my complaints if the Matrice is worse.
2021-4-24
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

Duane Degn Posted at 4-23 16:03

Edit: There are two grills which look like they could be speakers but they're for air flow. As I mentioned earlier, I intitially thought the drone had a speaker since the startup sound was so different compared to other ESCs. After taking apart the drone a bit, I don't see where a speaker can be hiding. It's pretty common for the motors to be used to produce start up sounds. I don't see why DJI would add a speaker if the motors would do the job.

interesting find. thank you. yes those are the things I thought that are speakers. I have one in pieces on my bench for weeks now. (waiting for aliexpress parts that just wont arrive)
2021-4-28
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Duane Degn Posted at 4-23 16:03

Correct, there are two microphones installed on each side of the frame.

The start up sound is created by the motors, on a BetaFlight drone with a programable ESC you can upload start up music to the ESC so as it comes on line it plays a tune using the motors as sounders.
2021-4-28
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MoppelMat Posted at 4-23 14:45

Nope, there are two microphones mounted on the middle Frame, the start up sound is produced by the motors.
2021-4-28
Use props
Vertigocal
lvl.3
Germany

I find it really fascinating and never thought that motors are capable of making such sounds. Makes it even cooler.
Thanks for the explanation.
An option to disable or change the sound would still makes sense.
2021-4-29
Use props
fanscc2abf06
lvl.1
United States

Yeah, I really don’t like waking up the entire house at 3am for firmware updates.

Someone pulled out the shotgun because the start-up sound was so loud.

We have been experiencing a lot of anti-asian hate in our area. Everyone is really sensitive to anything out of the ordinary, right now. The FPV drone sound is exceptionally out of the ordinary.

DJI, please disable the loud startup sound. It would be nice for your company to be aware that we don’t all live in China where it’s safe to be Asian.

Thanks in advance.
2021-6-8
Use props
Vertigocal
lvl.3
Germany

fanscc2abf06 Posted at 6-8 21:34
Yeah, I really don’t like waking up the entire house at 3am for firmware updates.

Sad to hear that. Maybe you should move to another country or just to another town. It‘s a pity that even in the 21st century racism and intolerance exists.
2021-6-9
Use props
A.O.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88392 ft
United States

I kind of like the sound too, sci fi musak... lets me know its awake and ready to go!
2021-6-9
Use props
anethema
lvl.2

Canada

fanscc2abf06 Posted at 6-8 21:34

Ha implying there have been firmware updates
2021-6-9
Use props
fans1d3c903e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240863 ft
United Kingdom

Startup tone is annoying - let the user decide.
2023-4-11
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

the start up sound is awesome, chainsaw style
no chance to disable it
if you dont like it you may consider some other birds
2023-4-11
Use props
MadderCat
lvl.1

United States

I agree with this, I just bought one used I know it's old but I'm super surprised there's no way to change the esc startup sound.  that's crazy the thing is really frightening.
3-6 14:59
Use props
Waldo4280
lvl.4
Australia

Me too. Wouldn’t sound right if it started up silently
3-7 02:59
Use props
Waldo4280
lvl.4
Australia

Deleted comment